Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours? >

When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours?

Notices

When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours?

I'm looking for tips when buying a boat on how not to get taken on engine hours and even boat hours. Hour meters can obviously be replaced. Engine computers can be replaced, too.

Is there anyway to check with Mercury Marine if the engine computer in the boat is the same one that shipped with the engine?

Is there such a thing as numbers matching for engines and drives?

I looked at one boat, where the guy claimed the engine had 30 hours. I guess he didn't think ahead enough to change the hour meter under the hatch, because it said 266 hours.

I found out from another source, the boat had also been in an auto wreck, and the repair was obvious. He conveniently omitted that part, and said the paint just needed a good buffing out. Everyone claims their boat is always garaged, but I have yet to find one that really was. One had some much sun exposure, the orange guage needles were sun faded to almost white.

It seems like every boat comes with its own crook.

I need some good crook detecting tips. It's caveat emptor out there.

Michael
Old 03-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I look at it this way...All used engines are used engines. Believe no one all the time and plan to rebuild sooner than later. Unless it is buddy of yours and you know the true history or they have someone backing them up with a warranty. (which I highly doubt will ever happen) Kind of a pessimistic attitude but no one will look out for you except yourself.
Plan for this in your offer.
JMO
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Compression Check/Leak Down

Have a Compression check/Leak Down Check done, By You, or someone You Trust. You can get a pretty good idea of engine condition with these. It won't zero in on hours but I'd rather have a good 200+ hr motor than a bad 20 hr motor..
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
I'd rather have a good 200+ hr motor than a bad 20 hr motor..
Me too!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you can do in addition to having a mechanic that YOU PAY do a leak down test and compression test is take a sample of the oil from then engine and drive and send it into a lab to have it analyzed for how much metal is in there and what kind of metal is in there. I would also recommend splitting the upper and lower of the drive to make sure nothing is twisted etc...

www.blackstonelabs.com

Edit:
Oh, take the prop off and put a new one on before you buy the boat (doesn't have to be the right pitch, blade config, etc; however, it will help make sure the prop shaft hasn't been messed with.

I was taken to the cleaners on the second boat I purchased and have learned alot from it. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice (IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN).

Last edited by Racerngr1; 03-11-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
Oh, take the prop off and put a new one on before you buy the boat (doesn't have to be the right pitch, blade config, etc; however, it will help make sure the prop shaft hasn't been messed with.
You mean they may have changed out the prop shaft to something non-standard, or just "hammered" the prop onto the old damaged one?

Great tips! Keep 'em comin'.

Michael
Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
You mean they may have changed out the prop shaft to something non-standard, or just "hammered" the prop onto the old damaged one?

Great tips! Keep 'em comin'.

Michael
On my boat, I could only run the prop that came with it. I tried to switch it out; however, the hub in the B1 prop was way too loose. After further investigation I found out that someone replaced the prop shaft with an aftermarket shaft and well, basically when I bought my boat I GOT THE SHAFT. Some days I would really like to find out who owned my boat before me and whoop his ass! But then again it's my fault for not checking the boat more carefully.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Never trust the hour meters on the boat , .. they could have been switched out....I have been told that the computers keep the right count on hours but you need to find someone with the right electronic testers to read the computers. Even after all that you can't be on the money --anything can be fudged.....Like one of the other guys said you can get some idea by a few simple tests; compression ; Blackstone Labs;The last major thing is very simple --- if the boat is very well taken care of you can also figure that the engines were taken care of .If the boat looks like Rommel's Africa Corps. dragged it half way across the desert walk away and dont look back;Last but not least get a survey , it may cost you some bucks but thats only minor when you consider what you will pay down the road. Good Luck

Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

+1 yet people will say the boat is only worth what the beat up one at the repo yard sold for.

Go figure
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

all true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.