Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp >

What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp

Notices

What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp

Old 06-24-2002, 03:33 PM
OutlawBayB

Default What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp

We went looking for homes yesterday and here's an interesting ?

Boat won't fit in a 3 car garage b//c garage not long enough & not tall enough, or wide enough. Builder (David Weekly) can't extend 5' everywhere b/c restrictions from the developer? So, WTF. Even a 4 car garage won't do. I'm thinking of looking at a tandem 2 1/2 car garage & see if maybe then they can just raise the roof by 5'?(we want to keep the boat enclosed)

Those of you who store at home, what kind of set up do ya'll have. Barn, custom garage...what?!

Where'd ya'll get it done, etc.....OR any other ideas?

Pix would be really great too!

Oh yeah, we have a 29 Outlaw so we need opening at least 12' and length 35-36', heigth not sure but it's taller than my 4x4 Z71 Suburban.

Last edited by OutlawBayB; 06-24-2002 at 03:53 PM.

Old 06-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're right, I doubt you'll find very many homes with garages big enough to squeeze that thing in there. Best bet is to build a detached storage unit and you can custom size it to whatever you like.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:01 PM
OutlawBayB

We tried asking the builer about the detached garage idea, same prob......developers choice, most likely not. Something about you can't change the face of the house.

Any other ideas, anyone? There's got to be a way to store it at home!

Old 06-24-2002, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

leave it outside and invest in a nice cover
in any development around here they have building restrictions and stuff and if you can go ahead and build a barn, then the permits are going to kill you
Hell it is 75 dollars per window to replace around here
Good luck
Go for the barn, in residential areas alot of people dont mind barns, but you build a garage the size of your house, they are going to hate you
Jason
Old 06-24-2002, 05:42 PM
Registered

IS the floorplan of the house setup so that one of the "bays" of the garage sort of sticks out on the side from the rest of the house? If so, you may be able to work with your builder so that you can extend one bay of the garage so that it is as deep as the rest of the house, or you can do the work after the house is complete if the builder doesn't want to do it.

How big is your sideyard? If it is wide enough, you may be able to build a covered storage space for the boat that is the same height as your front fence and is not really visible from the street..
Old 06-24-2002, 05:55 PM
Coddigtion

This is going to sound bad, but with the way the Deed restrictions are here in houston. I am certian that Weekly can get it done! If they say no, say, well we don't want the house, they will do it!

Old 06-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Registered

We have a detached garage at our house here in San Diego. It started out as a detached 3 car garage with the standard doors. I built walls where the doors used to be and extended the garage length wise. We then put an 11' roll up door on the end. The garage now measues 50'X20 with a 12' ceiling. I would say do a detached if you have the room. It is now big enough to fit the Top Gun.

At our house in Havasu we want to do a detached garage as well, and build a facad (sp) attached to the house so it looks like it is all one structure. We are runing into set back problems though and need a variance from the city. I don't know if it is the same where you live, but we were told if you get a builder with some juice with the city they will let you build just about anything. Good luck.

Havasu Cig aka HavasuCat
Old 06-24-2002, 10:53 PM
OutlawBayB

Originally posted by Jayl13

Hell it is 75 dollars per window to replace around here

Windows?????

Steamin Rice-that's a thought.

Havasu Cig-got any pix???

Old 06-25-2002, 07:30 AM
Registered

I meant permits on the windows
For a permit it is 75 dollars PER WINDOW for a permit to replace them. So if you have 10 windows to replace, 750 in just permits alone not counting the cost of the windows themselves.
Im just saying check with your local township before you go into something like that cause if the township gets cut out of the deal your going to end up in a mountain of problems.
Some areas are more strict than others but if your in an area that is being built up fast, most likely the local township is going to get you.
Jason
Old 06-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Registered

Have a 20x50 attached garage with 13'-6" ceiling height to fit a 12x12 garage door. Gives enough room to have a hoist inside to pull engines etc. Have cabinets on one side of the garage to store all the "stuff" that one accumulates with a boating life style. I would measure the height of the boat on the trailer with the hatch up to find the tallest point to determine the size of the garage door needed. Minimum width on the door I would do is 10' and that only leaves 9" on each side of the trailer if it is 8'-6" wide. As far as permits and that sort of thing, I live in a rural part of Ga. north of Atlanta and can pretty much do what ever I want on 5 acres so set backs and sidelines are not a problem. Not to mention that I am a builder also. I hope that this helps .
Robert

Quick Reply: What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.