Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together? >

Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together?

Notices

Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my rubrail last yr on the panther. As mentioned it was through bolted through the rubrail then thru the boat with nuts on the inside. Very poor design because you cannot cinch the bolts down tight due to the c shaped rub rail. Therefore your upper and lower shells are never solidly clamped. Putting it back together I through bolted just the upper/lower shells with nylon nuts and washers and nice and tight. Then I attached the rubrail over the other bolts with ss wood screws. Its pretty solid now.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I replaced my rubrail last yr on the panther. As mentioned it was through bolted through the rubrail then thru the boat with nuts on the inside. Very poor design because you cannot cinch the bolts down tight due to the c shaped rub rail. Therefore your upper and lower shells are never solidly clamped. Putting it back together I through bolted just the upper/lower shells with nylon nuts and washers and nice and tight. Then I attached the rubrail over the other bolts with ss wood screws. Its pretty solid now.
Yeah many of the bolts were not very tight when I removed them. I am going with a rigid plastic rail and stainless insert. This should allow me to tighten the bolts more!!

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you tighten any of the rub rail screws to tight, it shows up very wavy. Thru bolt the hull, then install rub rail over the joint just snugging the screws till it's against the hull.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where you can't reach the nut use a stainless pop rivet.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nuff Said about rub rails and holding boats together...

There's a right way, and a wrong way...this is the latter...
Attached Thumbnails Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together?-fountain01.jpg   Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together?-fountain02.jpg   Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together?-fountain04.jpg  

Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together?-fountain05.jpg   Maybe stupid question - do the rub rail fasteners help hold the boat together?-fountain13.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Fountains were all glassed together? Guess not on the 29s. Is that the boat that had a fatality about 5 years ago?