Question for those with Piratecom systems >

Question for those with Piratecom systems

Notices

Question for those with Piratecom systems

Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with Piratecom systems

I recently purhased a piratecom extreme 2 system for my boat.

While i've been reasonably underwhelmed by it's performance it does what it advertises.

however I'd like ot know if what i'm experiencing is normal.

I've got an external audio feed going into a multi signal combiner so that you can hear a radio source and a stereo source (albiet in mono). However when the squelch is adjusted to cancel the wind noise activating the mic, the stereo is almost muted out. and when you talk activating the mic, you get blasted by the stereo.

Is this normal?

Orb.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are also underwhelmed with the Piratecom system, especially as it relates to music. In hindsight, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Registered

The system wasn't cheap, certainly comparable to the other Dan Levi System at the aledged "top" end of the market.

There are far cheaper systems on the market that would seem to to just as a good a job for much less. Look up any air boaters forum there's easily 15 manufacturers about that do marine apps. but Piratecom came so highly recommended.

I use a Bose based system on the plane which is fantastic and while Piratecom is not near the same price as that system, I expected better performance for the money.

Though the sales team and support have been good, the system was easy to install...the product is just disappointing and there isn't really anything else on the market for marine apps that would be better.

I'm not intersted in bashing piratecom.. i just want to know if others have the same issues, and how the've fixed it/lived with it.

I also get signal transfer to my other audio devices though the multi signal combiner.... IE the stereo can be heard coming out of the VHF radio speakers....

Orb.

Last edited by Orbit1000; 03-25-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the Piratecom system in my boat. It works fine but pretty much has the same stereo issues. I hardly use it because I don't like to not hear my surroundings and as it is with my 1/4 canopies, I can talk to my navigator at just about any speed without them.
I have had multiple issues with my stereo systems over the years and tend to think the problem (at least for me) lies there more so than in the com system.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the system in my boat also. Here is how I adjust mine. Leave the stereo with the volume all the way down. Set your intercom volume to what level you want. Once it is set I bring up the stereo volume to how loud I want to hear that. Mine works fine. However I have no vhf or phone hooked up. Only the stereo.
The problem i have is getting rid of the wind noise and keeping it from keying the mic.
Over 70 it wont work.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Registered

Do you have the updated mikes... The updated ones work much better.. Ive never had a problem with mine and I use it with a i pod
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by antisocial
Do you have the updated mikes... The updated ones work much better.. Ive never had a problem with mine and I use it with a i pod
How can you tell if hey are updated?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

I bought mine in 06 I had a issue with one mike so they told me there was a upgrade so I got them. So I guess anything after 06 was upgrade. They told me there were 2 versions one for fast boats and ones for really fast boats..hahah....I would call them so you can get it right from them... I think why you have problems is also cause it looks like you dont have much of a windscreen on that skater... Just a guess as your blowing cross the water over 100..
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the piratecom system on our Ultra. It was tied into the VHF, Stereo, and my iphone. The even came up with a cool switch that would isolate my headset with a flip of a switch that let me conduct my phone conversation in private through my headset. Let me not miss some important calls, while zipping down the lake at 70 mph

I will say that Piratecom did the complete install, setup, and tweaking of the system so that might be why I didn't have issues. It was pretty much a full day to complete.