Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stock Tip or just bad news for all America Online Users? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27319-stock-tip-just-bad-news-all-america-online-users.html)

SunseekerNY 06-25-2002 02:25 AM

Stock Tip or just bad news for all America Online Users?

Dear Friends:

I just found out that AOL 8.0 is going to "DUMP INTERNET EXPLORER IN FAVOR OF NETSCAPE." Watch out!

As speculated before, AOL 8.0, which will be released to 34 million users this Fall, will use the Mozilla engine.

20% of all US Internet surfers access the Internet using AOL.

Test your Websites now in Netscape 6, Netscape 7 and Mozilla if
you aren't doing so already. Otherwise, pageviews may drop and
complaints could start flooding in.

Best regards,
Jennifer

BajaBoss252 06-25-2002 02:33 AM

Yes, this is true. AOL made a deal with Netscape a few years ago to use their browser but had to wait until their contract ran out with Microsoft before they could integrate it into AOL.

SunseekerNY 06-25-2002 03:34 AM

Originally posted by BajaBoss252
Yes, this is true. AOL made a deal with Netscape a few years ago to use their browser but had to wait until their contract ran out with Microsoft before they could integrate it into AOL.
Well, I think it sucks!

:mad:

Just my $.02 for whatever it's worth.

Jennifer

Sydwayz 06-25-2002 09:21 AM

Netscape blows.

TulsaLarry 06-25-2002 09:24 AM

Jennifer:

There has been bad blood between AOL and Microsoft for a long time and it is widely known that AOL will do all it can to avoid promoting Microsoft. This deal with Netscape has been in the works for some time and should be helped with the litigation Microsoft is going through.

Larry

SunseekerNY 06-25-2002 09:38 AM

Originally posted by TulsaLarry
Jennifer:

There has been bad blood between AOL and Microsoft for a long time and it is widely known that AOL will do all it can to avoid promoting Microsoft. This deal with Netscape has been in the works for some time and should be helped with the litigation Microsoft is going through.

Larry

Dear Larry:

I live in my own microcosm of a universe sometimes as this is the first I have heard of this. I probably did, but wasn't paying attention.

That being said, although I dislike Netscape, I dislike Bill Gates even more. I believe the man in single-handedly responsible for the slowing of progress in software progress as it relates to implementation and usage.

I can make almost the same argument for the battle between SBI and the APBA, my side always being my own in that I believe competition is healthy and keeps all sides on their toes.

Competition is a necessary evil, and basic law of healthy business.

I'll learn to like Netscape.

Jennifer

buckknekkid 06-25-2002 09:45 AM

Microsoft

open source forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coddigtion 06-25-2002 10:18 AM

Man.... This doesn't blow, I think that it is great! Have you ever tried IE for solaris, it sucks!

Jennifer, do you know why the page's won't come up correctly, it is because IE does not comply with the standards that have been set! Netscape does!

Also Bill Gates is a great buisness man and marketing person. He purchased DOS from another company at first and then marketed it to the world. This is why Windows has such a large user base. He has my respect, but with some of the new licensing models that microsoft has for their enterprise customers, I think that we are going to see Unix start to make a large comeback.

-Linn

TulsaLarry 06-25-2002 10:29 AM

I’m not here to argue the pros or cons of Microsoft or AOL--- When AOL spent tons of money to buy Netscape they were one of the leading browsers on the market. After that purchase Microsoft came out with their Internet Explorer and required all the PC manufacturers to install the Internet Explorer if they made Windows available. This killed AOL’s investment in Netscape.

AOL might compare this type of control to a situation (if it occurred) where say APBA went to the boat manufacturers and commanded that if they wanted their boats to race APBA they were not allowed to promote their boats in any other racing including SBI.
This possibly might create some bad blood between APBA and SBI.

I feel that Microsoft and AOL are both great companies but in business it’s a dog eat dog world.

Cord 06-25-2002 10:42 AM

If AOL ownes Netscape and has to purchase IE, doesn't it just make sense to use your own internal software?