Notices

I'm buying a cat

Old 06-25-2002, 08:53 AM
sonicse

Default I'm buying a cat

Just looking for any information or comments about American Offshore cats. I found a great deal out of state and at home and decided to buy the one at home. This is my 1st cat i have owned and driven only V hulls before. Any hints or tips that anyone has would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Old 06-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent choice, I almost bought a 26, great boat, it towers over my 24 skater, good luck with it, as far as driving instructions, just use common sense and you'll be fine.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Registered

Congrats on your new cat. AO makes a very solid boat. Here are some of the differences you will notice right off the bat; cats do not need a lot of trim...many V guys tend to over-trim when making the transition to a cat. Depending on your X dimension, you'll find more speed by running closer to "neutral" trim. When you get off the throttle in a cat it takes A LOT longer to slow down compared to a V. Also, be careful when you are turning..the feeling is very different as compared to a V. I know some will disagree with this statement, but cats don't turn as nice as a V...generally speaking. Finally, cats handle rough chop much better than similar sized V's, a 26 cat feels more like a 32 V as far as ride quality. Good Luck and be careful.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There were a few threads about this in the past, here in the Gen Disc. Try a search or two on Cats, driving tips, and cats vs. v-hulls.

That AO is an aweome boat. I met FASTCATS (SCOTT from AO) at the 2002 Miami Show right when they were doing their magazine tests. What a superb organization from what i saw. i would not hesitate them to talk to them directly, even though you are buying a used boat. They will be more than helpful. Congrats and Good Luck.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-25-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

GREAT CHOICE!! I have a 26 and love it! I just want more power though! I switched from a v to the cat last year and it was farly easy. All the points that jdnca1 brought up are true. Fastcats(scott) at the factory is a great guy and will be more than willing to help out with any questions. Also if you look for Merlin540 in the AO section on this board he can answer any question you have. He has a 98 3100 that ran 116 last year and should be running 125 this year. He really know how to drive that beast too!! Good luck!!
Old 06-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Registered

Thumbs up YEA MAN!

I can't believe this post has made it this far without Catmando chimming in! He lives for AO and I'm sure before this is over he will throw in his opinion! They are definately good lookers and there are a few of them around here and Lake Texoma!
Old 06-25-2002, 04:27 PM
Uncle Toys

Step one - check into insurance, especially with the under 30 footers. Its going to be shocking! There have been some great threads on the subject, use the search function.

Old 06-25-2002, 06:37 PM
FASTCATS

Damn, Catman!

I had to go back and check the payroll roster to make sure that you was not on it.

Sonicse,

If I can help, let me know! Have you bought the boat yet?

Sydwayz,

Thanks for the flowers!

Scott

Old 06-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Charter/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Talking

Sonicse, I am on my second 26'AO. Had one in 1994-1996, and now have my newest one I bought in 1999. Best cat on market for price, handling etc. It is also the most like V turning cat you will find.

PS Fastcats- I saw you just posted, I am still in the market for the American flag that goes down 3/4's the side of the 26. Are they still available. e-mail me please.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

AO's are good boats, easy for almost anyone to drive with the center pod design. (Talon) A definate good first cat boat.

Dominated before Skater came along?

Ever hear of boat company from England named "Cougar"? They dominated with both versions, Wood and Aluminum in the late 70's early to mid 80's.

Not to forget CUV/Tencara..

Quick Reply: I'm buying a cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.