Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
DC Potomac River 4th & Fireworks >

DC Potomac River 4th & Fireworks

Notices

DC Potomac River 4th & Fireworks

Old 06-21-2002, 12:27 PM
patrick22309

Default DC Potomac River 4th & Fireworks

Anyone around DC want to get together on the river?

Old 06-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I think I am going to check out Colonial Beach's fireworks this year. DC is too much of a mob scene for me. I am hearing that security is going to be real tight this year in DC too.

Dave M.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:05 PM
patrick22309

Default Potomac river HOT spots?

Can you tell me where they are? I have more range and speed, just looking for cool places to go. I heard fairview beach is OK, and Popes creek. Any opinions?

Old 06-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Fairview Beach and the Mattawoman Creek are probably the biggest hang outs on the Potomac. Belmont Bay, Popes Creek, Colonial Beach, Cobb Island, St. Clements Island, St. george Island, are a few others. It depends how much you like to cruise. Do you have a trailer? The Chesapeake Bay and tributaries offer countless destinations.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:18 PM
patrick22309

Will have to take my map next time. I trailored to Solomon and James River couple weeks ago and the water got kinda nasty mid day for my 20ft Stingray. Took a couple really nasty smack on the James... I will probably stick to the potomac, marine is 5min from house.

Old 06-22-2002, 01:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

I will be at Mattawoman and Fairview tomorrow. Take a look at my member gallery for pics of my Sonic. I too have been contemplating what to do for the 4th of July. The river is one big cluster&%k of a bunch of drunken boaters heading south, AT NIGHT, on one narrow river gerenally speaking after the DC Fireworks. I am contemplating spending the night in a hotel in Rosslyn after taking a cab from Georgetown. May just leave the boat tied up with friends boats at Three Sisters. I dunno yet.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:55 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an alternative to the 4th. Tims Rivershore, has fireworks the Saturday before the 4th, I believe.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts

The folks from my boating club have been warning us not to go unless we plan on coming back really late or can leave the boat tied up somewhere. They were saying that the river can become too dangerous for a small boat when you've got hundreds of folks all leaving at the same time to go south. The water gets too rough.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Any suggestions would be great!
Old 06-22-2002, 09:17 PM
patrick22309

I have done the DC4th the last four years in a 21ft jet boat returning to Ft. Belior. I usually wait until the crowd clears and they close the GT pier. I was nicer with the jet, didn't have to stay in the channel with the crazy people. I will probably stick to DC because I will have a full boat and I more familier with the trip a night.

Old 06-25-2002, 12:24 PM
patrick22309

Default Weekend??

Anyone be on the Potomac this weekend? Thinking of taking the (RED) Stingray to Mattawoman or DC.

Quick Reply: DC Potomac River 4th & Fireworks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.