Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What are a used boat purchasers' expectations? >

What are a used boat purchasers' expectations?

Notices

What are a used boat purchasers' expectations?

Old 06-25-2002, 09:48 AM
MIdnightRider

Question What are a used boat purchasers' expectations?

I have bought and sold several used boats since the mid 90's when I began owning boats on my own. I am some what amazed at what people expect when they look at, or buy these 9, 10, 11, 12 year old boats. The boats I owned have been in good shape, a 10 yr old rig is not perfect. People act like they are buying new, c'mon on folks, a 16k 25' 10yr old vs a new 60k 25', a 90k 38' + vs new @ 350k. I have been hearing stories lately from those who bought boats used *****ing about this or that, you bought a used boat. It happened to me this past year on some smaller maintenance issues, I just said, well you bought used what do you expect. The one story I heard, an individual bought a as-is boat, had it privately inspected before purchase, made his offer based on the private inspection, bought it, found other things that were wrong with it later(so he says), and is pist at the seller who made no gaurantees(it was actually brokered they never spoke). The only one to blame there is the company that was paid to do the survey. Anyway people are amazing, if you want new, spend the money, or stop buying used and *****ing. I have never made claims to warranties on a sale, "this boat is sold as is, it runs great now, but I make no gaurantees to the future. I do not want a call if this thing breaks, it is a 600 hp motor". That is what I told the last guy I sold my boat to and I have not heard a peep from him, either it is great, or he knows the deal. Midnight

Old 06-25-2002, 09:58 AM
MIdnightRider

And if anyone does make any warrantable claims that are not on paper, it does not mean a thing, do not believe a word. The best thing to do is get as much varifiable paper work that is availible and base a decision on it, along with a survey or visible inspection. In the end it is a crap shoot, full disclosure is not required when selling a boat, and you know if people are aware of a potential problem, it somehow slipped their mind. Even I, who have been around the car business directly for 29 years, I have seen some pretty wild ****, have fallen prey to a bad deal. Midnight

Old 06-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

Midnight- you are so right.

Around here it's a real screwy market, both in boats and trucks/suv's. People are asking way too much (70-80% of new price -and being stubborn about it) for used stuff in the 3-10 yr old range. I'm not talking about well cared for stuff either. It just makes more sense to buy new sometimes. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Registered

I agree with ya on this issue, but here's what I have a problem with. I bought my redline from a guy that still runs the silver cup series, a couple of years later, I needed to replace a bearing carrier, and left several messages with the former owner explaining I was just trying to find out what these lowers were, and never heard a word back from him about it. After ordering a 3 variations of the merc lower bearing carrier with no success, I finally got all the measurements of propshaft diameters, housing diameters, carrier lenght, bearing number, ect... and in talking with mercury, figured out what I had, and what I needed, but after several weeks of digging, instead of boating, and many phone calls. I'm sure the former owner knew, or at least could have pointed me in the right direction. In the 2 minutes he would have spent on the phone, he could have heard how his old boat was doing, but I guess to sit back and ignore the call is easier..., but it would have saved me alot of time. I guess everyones got different priorities though. I even said in the message, I wasn't looking for anything other than some advice, if you could give me a call...
Old 06-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Hi Rob,
Sounds like a less than helpful guy- he should have called. I was on the other end of that- built a Healy 3000 replica with TPI 355 at 2400lbs etc. sold it when the baby came. 3 yrs later i got a call from a producer in Beverly hills who just bought the car. I felt like i had found a lost child! He just wanted to know what was in the tranny (built 700R4) and type of torque converter, thinks like that- I was more than glad to help!
Old 06-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had someone come out to look at the boat and when he got here he said it was older than he wanted but just wanted to see what an older boat looked like. Then offered the suggestion that I could paint it to update the "miami vice" colors Thanks for input (I should add that he had been sent additional pics of the boat before he came out)

Last edited by Playn; 06-25-2002 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Granted , 10 year old boats aren't perfect...BUT...there a whale of a big difference in some 10 year olds . It took me 9 months and eight states to find one nice enough. Believe me , some of the ones I looked at were wupped , beat , filthy and one that was almost nice (except for bottm paint) a dealer in Trenton NJ (no names here) had for over a year and still wanted 10g's over what it was worth...he apparently thought there was a trailer under it. That was June of 2000. Guess what? He's still got it and is still asking the same price. I finally found one in Chester Va , a five hour drive away. Fair price , and $600 later for upolstery work , stitching on the engine hatch and back seat was coming apart, people still ask me if it's new.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Registered

There is a such thing as a deal in boating. But some people fall in love with there boats and there is just no way to bring them to reality. I like to remind people that a seller saying an Offshore boat has never been run in the rough is like saying a four by four has never been off road. There are things that pre owned boat buyers should just expect. Right now is an interesting market. People that "Need" to sell there boats are making some attractive deals. It is a buyers market. But I still see some sellers holding there margin on some "Interesting" Boats. A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A 10 year old boat can be mint condition with low hours. It still may be 1500lbs heavier than a new boat. That drops the price. Thank God there is still an ass for every seat. Or I would be out of business!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 07:22 PM
Registered

My last boat was a '93 Stingray 22' cuddy cabin. I bought it from the original owner who kept it in immaculate condition. I paid $12,750 for it. I drove that boat many hours for four years but still kept it in immaculate condition. You know what? I sold it last year for $12,500 and it wasn't because I added a bunch of upgrades. Everything I added to that boat, I took back out before I put it on the market. The dual batteries, the spare tire carrier, the fan in the cuddy, all came out before I put it in the paper. It just makes sense to keep your boats in as good a condition as you can because it will only help you sell it for more when that time comes...

Ted
Old 06-26-2002, 07:39 PM

When I purchase a used boat/car. I just expect/deserve the seller to be honest.

I have driven up to 6 hours to look at a boat I may buy and was told it was immaculate, got there and the upholestry was coming unstitched and the grafx stickers were peeling off. I was pissed. On the same token done the same with a car and it was in new condition, purchased it cash on the spot.

WILL

Quick Reply: What are a used boat purchasers' expectations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.