Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Oso, please lose the toyota pop-up ad!!! >

Oso, please lose the toyota pop-up ad!!!

Notices

Oso, please lose the toyota pop-up ad!!!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting .... I'm seeing the same thing. If the Toyota add shows up, the page won't load (using IE9). Page will load when any other add shows up, though. Iv'e tried tossing my cookies, clearing caches, deleting browsing history, and still, most times when the Toyota add pops up, it stops.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of windblows, mac better, Linux better yet. Use an Untangle server to filter all traffic into and out of your LAN (local area network). http://www.untangle.com/

Unless you use Untangle or other similar filtering device, you cannot stop the spyware. Not only does it stop KNOWN spyware, but also blocks malicious code embedded in websites (provides blocking page for you to decide), and virus's, as well as providing intrusion protection.

You also want to use a browser with pop-up blocker, chromium (google) or firefox, do not use internet explorer, the least secure.

Untangle is based on Linux, is open source (free), all you need is an old computer, or build a mini itx, couple of hundred dollars. Does not need much power for a home network.

The pics are snapshots of today's records. Was not online much today, you would be surprised at how much stuff is stopped. OSO through their google adds and many other forms of tracking used by every other website is blocked.

If you do not believe in the power of Linux, visit http://www.top500.org/ and go to the statistics page and list operating systems. Out of the top 500 supercomputers, only ONE uses windblows, 414 Linux. That alone states volumes.

My two preferred, Gentoo (used by nasa, many university's, and commercial products) and Arch Linux. Arch Linux being a binary release, better for beginner, Gentoo a compiled system, better for Advanced users who want complete and total control. Of course there is Ubunutu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu good for beginners, but becoming like Mac/Windblows as it is getting bloated and more reliant on GUI (graphical user interface). There are hundreds of flavors of Linux, many are related to one another, using the same repositories and package manager. Self learned knowledge is far more valuable than paid for add knowledge, learn and free your self from the m$ chains.
Attached Thumbnails Oso, please lose the toyota pop-up ad!!!-untangle-spyware-blocker.jpg   Oso, please lose the toyota pop-up ad!!!-reports.jpg  

Last edited by SinOjos; 03-31-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Registered

For wireless use Kismet. http://www.kismetwireless.net/

It does not filter, but will alert for known intrusion methods being attempted.

The most common application used for wireless intrusion is netstublembler, which kismet will detect.

http://www.netstumbler.com/

Your primary concern being neighbors and wardriving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving

Applications like kismet allow the passive accumulation of all packets transmitted by wireless devices. Many of the big credit card grabs have been from putting a laptop in the bushes or sitting in the car and getting all the wireless packets at the big stores, de-crypting the passwords then get the database, or simply get the credit card details as it is transmitted, no need to break into anything.

Anytime you use wireless, anyone can listen in, a block or two away. The encryption is easily broken, the FBI broke 256 bit, standard low level used by browsers and your bank, in less than 5 mins back in 2005 at the black hat convention.

Now with services like AWS, amazon virtual servers, people start up a supercomputer network of computers and decrypt what used to take days, in minutes now, only paying for the time they use the servers.

Enjoy
Old 03-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Registered

To better protect your wireless use, at home or over any public network, starbucks, hotels, etc, use Encrypted Socks Tunnel.

Here is an example of how to us an encrypted socks tunnel , scroll down to the relevant section. There is a lot more on the subject out there do a search.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ssh

By using ssh, you can encrypt to 2048 or 4096 bit. SSH will work with any operating system, consult that specific OS instructions.

So far the highest broke supposedly is RSA 768 bits, though it may be safe to assume that 1024 bit has been broken. You will be able to use any of a number of encryption algorithms for the Private Key - Public Key encryption.

RSA and DSA are commonly used for ssh. RSA is open source, no backdoor, the source code is open and scrutinized, while DSA pushed by the Gov, closed source, no way to know if it has a back door. RSA is considered the best choice, by the paranoids, even though 768 bits has been broken, while only 512 for DSA.

You can rent a virtual server cheap now, Amazon AWS is cheap, as you pay only for the time you use it for, cheap security when traveling, if you purchase reserved instance, $5-$7 a month, around $15-$17 a month non reserved, their prices went down so check their price page. They have a year free for the micro instance, which is the smallest, which is all you need and then some.

Pretty cheap security to ensure your use of wireless is protected from your neighbors, war-drivers, and any public access used. If you check email on a public network like starbucks or hotels, be assured that someone has a sniffer running, that is how peoples emails and website login info is getting snatched, and credit card info.

Last edited by SinOjos; 03-31-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I haven't had issues with the Toyota ad, but the ads have been killing this site the last few months. I am on web sites all day, and this is the only site I actually pay to be a member, totally because I love the site and what it has to offer, but the last few months its been stupidly slow.

And every time its dragging, I look down and see it is waiting on an add site to load, be it google or adnet or something.

It very frustrating. I will click a link here, go to another window and click on something on a different site, read what has come up over there, come back here and see its still loading, go back to the other site, read something, come back and finally get to see the new page.

And its not just this computer, I use several, and its the same with them all.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I didn't change anything with my computer or delete any files.cookies/history and for what ever reason, the Toyota ad is not coming up anymore.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The cookies are probably from adnet, so they linked something you visited.

I use ClicktoFlash. By default, I have No Flash items loaded. I can run them if I want. Most of the Flash crap is ads, like the one at the top of the page. Mine shows a rectangle with the word Flash in the middle. For the most part, that's about all I see of Flash.

I'll be glad when it's replaced.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hadleycat
google sucks. I stay away from it as much as possible. I bought an apple and 100 percent of my computer frustrations went away.
+1
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Well, I didn't change anything with my computer or delete any files.cookies/history and for what ever reason, the Toyota ad is not coming up anymore.
No changes here either, and pages are loading beautifully.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

is all the ads the cause of why my p/c @this site is so slow?its like this on both p/c s i use??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.