Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Normal to constantly run tabs unevenly? >

Normal to constantly run tabs unevenly?

Notices

Normal to constantly run tabs unevenly?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It definitely sprays water on the port side with the tab so I know its working. What is a LH prop?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cmkworm
It definitely sprays water on the port side with the tab so I know its working. What is a LH prop?
Left hand rotation (vs right hand). If it's prop torque, changing rotation should shift the hull rotation to the other side. Maybe you can borrow a LH prop from a buddy for a quick test. Of course the prop shaft needs to rotate opposite what you have now. You can run a Bravo drive shifted into reverse, but just long enough for the test.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My 24 Warlock had the same problem. LH Prop cleaned it up and gained me a few MPH. If you are running a bravo outdrive, just swap the cables on your shift control.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Somewhat normal on a single engine hull. In fact the narrower the hull, the more likely one is to have the problem. Sometimes shifting weight around from side to side will help. As others have mentioned, switching to a LH rotation prop will also generally help. (All 27’ Fountains came from the factory with LH props for this reason.)

Another lesser known fix is to engineer the condition out of the hull by making the bottom design ever so slightly different from one side to the other. (Asymmetrical) I’ll leave it to tx2, Brownie or someone much more qualified to detail this one, but it is done on occasion.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Registered

I guess I will keep an eye on it and if it does it many more times I will be ordering a new prop. I don't know anyone who has one. So all I will need to do is get a LH prop and switch the drive cables on the shifter for the Bravo 1?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I have the same issue. I try to compensate by placing heavier passengers and gear to the star side. I'm going to try a LH prop as soon as I can get my hands on one.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I have the same issue. I try to compensate by placing heavier passengers and gear to the star side. I'm going to try a LH prop as soon as I can get my hands on one.
Same here. Fat dudes behind me, skinny chicks to port!

I never understood the LH prop. Wouldn't that just roll the boat to other side?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I never understood the LH prop. Wouldn't that just roll the boat to other side?
Not sure. But most most of the Y2K's built in the last few yrs. are running LH.

My 24 leaned until I got up on plane and trimmed it out. Then it would roll right over.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

lol it took 17 comments to get to the idea that mabe u just need to invite smaller chicks out on your boat..... thats grate. that was my first thought....
Old 04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Another item that I don't think has been mentioned is that the torque steer should diminish as you trim up & speed up. Mine will torque steer up to about 45-50-mph. Once I'm trimmed up and past 60-mph it's pretty much gone for good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.