Notices

stereo question

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default stereo question

I'm almost ready to install my stereo on the boat and had a few questions. I have four 8' (4ohms) 200 watt speakers which I will be running to my Bazook Ma460 amp (4channel). The cd player I bought only has 2 channels, however my amp has four channels. Since I don't want to buy another cd player that has 4 channels, what is the best way to hook up this system? Due to the cd player I can only run it on two channels correct unless there is another way to do it? What I was going to do was with speaker 1 and speaker 2 run a negative from each and then put the negative wires together and run it to the amp as one, for one channel negative. Then do the same for the positives which would take care of one channel. Then with the remaining speakers(speakers 3 and 4) I was going to to the exact same thing and that would take care of the 2nd channel. Is this the best way to do it? Just wanted to ask before I even got started. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooking it that way will take amp to a 2Ohm load. That will give you the best power output but it may run a little warm. No biggie.
Your amp should have a buttOn that allows you to just run one set of RCA's to it and still use all channels.
This will only put 60 watts to ea speaker but that should be enough and it will run cooler with less distortion.
Hope this helps

Last edited by GTOFFSHORE; 04-06-2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: ...
Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Model number of radio would be helpful.
If you are running pre-outs from radio to amp. Radio has 2 pre-outs and amp is a 4 channel amp that has 4 inputs. All you need are a pair of Y-cords - 1 female to 2 male which will convert your 2 RCA outputs into 4.

If you are running it speaker level then run the amp in 4 channel mode and from take each channel from radio into each input on amp. Example - take the right channel + from radio and add wire so right channel + goes into both right channel + on amp. Repeat with negative and left channel.

However, I would REALLY suggest against running speaker lever inputs. That method of hook up is prone to RF noise, engine noise, etc etc as well as "not sounding that great". A radio with RCA outputs is advised or a line output convertor.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

what Bill said, or some multichannel amps have a switch that lets you run all 4 channels off the 2ch input. Thats the way i run my 4ch alpines.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Registered

Bill's right,did the exact same thing in my jet boat, get you some Y connectors.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

thanks guys, and then that way by using y cords (1 female to 2 male) i will be able to use all 4 channels on the amp? Will that just be simply connecting every positive and negative from each speaker to each positive and negative on the amp without having to bridge them?

I have another quesiton (might be a dumb question) on the amp it has 4 channel connections but 2 of them say "bridged" on the amp. Does that mean that those 2 connections on the amp are ONLY used to bridge speakers or no? Or can you run a speaker there without bridging it as I'm trying to do and be fine?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
thanks guys, and then that way by using y cords (1 female to 2 male) i will be able to use all 4 channels on the amp? Will that just be simply connecting every positive and negative from each speaker to each positive and negative on the amp without having to bridge them?

I have another quesiton (might be a dumb question) on the amp it has 4 channel connections but 2 of them say "bridged" on the amp. Does that mean that those 2 connections on the amp are ONLY used to bridge speakers or no? Or can you run a speaker there without bridging it as I'm trying to do and be fine?
Those are for bridging yes. They are normally used for subs. Are you sure there is not a combo switch for all the channels.
Y connectors will work to run all the channels. You can find them at walmart. Nice and cheap and they are pretty good.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GTOFFSHORE
Those are for bridging yes. They are normally used for subs. Are you sure there is not a combo switch for all the channels.
Y connectors will work to run all the channels. You can find them at walmart. Nice and cheap and they are pretty good.
I will try to see if there is a switch for all channels. GT so are you saying those two channels are ONLY used for bridging? Or can you use them without bridging speakers?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered

No you can use them normal as well. But they are the only two on the amp that are 2 ohm stable the others are not. They would still play but get very hot and may fry over time. They way you are trying to set this up it doesn't matter.
The switch will have a 2/4 logo on it. You push to the right it combines the input.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
I will try to see if there is a switch for all channels. GT so are you saying those two channels are ONLY used for bridging? Or can you use them without bridging speakers?
You'll use the Neg of 1 channel, and the + of the other when bridging for using a sub.

If you use the Y's, connect your AMPS left side (F&R) RCA out's together for 1 channel, then the right side (F&R) for the other channel from your head unit. Not fronts and rears. You'll have balance control, no fade.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.