#1 boat gets beached, #2 'pro' pulls boat off beach, #3 boat rolls and sinks >

#1 boat gets beached, #2 'pro' pulls boat off beach, #3 boat rolls and sinks

Notices

#1 boat gets beached, #2 'pro' pulls boat off beach, #3 boat rolls and sinks

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerryreliable
Firstly, I thank the person who took these photos, and particularly those most recently posted. Next I would like to say how bad I feel for these two salvage captains, who did an excellent job, but who are taking an opinionated beating from the members of this forum. Why, with so many experts here, it is a wonder there are any towing and salvage companies. Now, the man behind the wheel has worked with me over twelve years, has hundreds of salvages to his credit, and has rescued more people from the water than there are commenters on this thread. The captain working the beach has only 9 plus years with this company. I cannot tell you how many salvages he has done, but I do know he participated in over 230 salvages after Hurricane Charlie. So why, do you ask, did these men remove this vessel when they did? Well, the answer is in the pictures. look at the angle of the distressed vessel in each photo. Maybe check out that green hole developing on the low side of that cvessel as each wave washes it. What is happening? if you can figure that out, perhaps you know how the captain on the beach felt as he sunk in the sand next to the low side of the vessel, watching it heel over. So, where would that vessel have more damage, inverted on the beach, or inverted afloat? if you have gotten this far, you would probably be interested to know that the vessel is today intact on a trailer with the Hondas running and starting with the keyswitch. The owner was uninsured. He was quoted a low fixed price, with no up charge. please remember when you read these forums, that the men on these salvage and towing vessels are there to help you, whether they fly the red or the yellow banner. They will always do their best, in spite of what you might read here or elsewhere. And every year, at an annual towing and salvage conference, many awards are given out to these men, for their lifesaving efforts. The award is named after Captain Woody Pollock, who gave his life in the service. it has been awarded posthumously, since it's inception, to others who are no longer with us. The USCG Search and Rescue Commander presides over the award.
remind me to NEVER use you are anything you have anything to do with in boating , if you can't see the mistakes that were made by YOUR guys then maybe you need to find a new profession. What a joke.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone just hang on a moment here. Let's get perfectly clear on what Jerry is stating here. I must ask Jerry this:

1) Was there any hull damage to this vessel prior to being towed from the beach? I.E. hole or crack

2) While this vessel was still on the beach, was the water in the hull a result of the hull damage in #1 or the waves splashing over the gunnels?

3) Did the captain on the beach make any attempt to raise the motors to insure that the lower units cleared any obstacles?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly, I thank the person who took these photos, and particularly those most recently posted. Next I would like to say how bad I feel for these two salvage captains, who did an excellent job, but who are taking an opinionated beating from the members of this forum. Why, with so many experts here, it is a wonder there are any towing and salvage companies. Now, the man behind the wheel has worked with me over twelve years, has hundreds of salvages to his credit, and has rescued more people from the water than there are commenters on this thread. The captain working the beach has only 9 plus years with this company. I cannot tell you how many salvages he has done, but I do know he participated in over 230 salvages after Hurricane Charlie. So why, do you ask, did these men remove this vessel when they did? Well, the answer is in the pictures. look at the angle of the distressed vessel in each photo. Maybe check out that green hole developing on the low side of that cvessel as each wave washes it. What is happening? if you can figure that out, perhaps you know how the captain on the beach felt as he sunk in the sand next to the low side of the vessel, watching it heel over. So, where would that vessel have more damage, inverted on the beach, or inverted afloat? if you have gotten this far, you would probably be interested to know that the vessel is today intact on a trailer with the Hondas running and starting with the keyswitch. The owner was uninsured. He was quoted a low fixed price, with no up charge. please remember when you read these forums, that the men on these salvage and towing vessels are there to help you, whether they fly the red or the yellow banner. They will always do their best, in spite of what you might read here or elsewhere. And every year, at an annual towing and salvage conference, many awards are given out to these men, for their lifesaving efforts. The award is named after Captain Woody Pollock, who gave his life in the service. it has been awarded posthumously, since it's inception, to others who are no longer with us. The USCG Search and Rescue Commander presides over the award.
I have been an engineer for about 20 years now. Have done many projects, recieved awards and have helped many people. But if I performed a job like that, I would definately not expect to be thinking about a reward for it. When you make a mistake you own up to it, learn from it and fix it. Trying to bury it under my previous service is wrong.

There are many who risk their lives in the service to others all over this world. That is admirable, but it does not remove them from responsibility when they make a decision of the moment and screw the pooch.

When you fail, try again. If you keep failing, you might want to think about trying something else.

I think I will stay up north.... Good luck defending this series of photos. If that was a "who did an excellent job" what are the screwed up or mistake jobs like? Wasn't on a BP rig recently, were they?

Brian
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Everyone just hang on a moment here. Let's get perfectly clear on what Jerry is stating here. I must ask Jerry this:
I think he is saying it was perfectly ok to drag the boat off the shore so it would sink. He said it had developed a hole in the side. Just curious, exactly what did the tow operator, or Jerryreliable expect to happen once the boat with a hole in the side was pulled off the beach w/o any precautionary measures taken.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-11-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454

1) Was there any hull damage to this vessel prior to being towed from the beach? I.E. hole or crack

2) While this vessel was still on the beach, was the water in the hull a result of the hull damage in #1 or the waves splashing over the gunnels?

3) Did the captain on the beach make any attempt to raise the motors to insure that the lower units cleared any obstacles?
1). VEssel was beached for a reported steering failure. Steering inop,
Operator reported anchor would not hold.

2). port side was awash as vessel was turned. Waves were breaking against the console. The condition on the beach was a washout situation with a strong current towards the low side of the vessel. Tide was strong incoming, opposing the washout rip, where the towboats is located.

3). The port motor would partially raise. The starboard motor lift motor was inop. steering also inop. The vessel was beached the night before in breaking waves, intentionally.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

1). VEssel was beached for a reported steering failure. Steering inop,
Operator reported anchor would not hold.

2). port side was awash as vessel was turned. Waves were breaking against the console. The condition on the beach was a washout situation with a strong current towards the low side of the vessel. Tide was strong incoming, opposing the washout rip, where the towboats is located.
These do not answer the questions asked.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

so no hole in hull and no pump by you
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Wow, it will be tough to keep up with you guys who have hundreds, and even thousands of posts! Even if you are a solid professional, from someplace other than here, if you ever get in the vicinity of the Boca Grande Channel, you might check things out. You could google it for some info. Try YouTube for Rescue Boca Grande Pass. Of course, if you still don't understand..........
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Mikes, how big of a pump are you thinking of? The port side of the vessel is at wave height and waves are breaking into it. Velocity boat? Danny Maher started Velocity in Broward County Florida in the 1970s. Lives in Micco Florida now, flew vaarieze homebuilts not too long ago. used to work with me. Sorry Mikes, you can't pump waves.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Registered

Perlmudder, I think they do answer the questions asked. Do you remember the Larson boats early adver rising, "million bubble ride"? How's things at the Royal York Hotel? I stayed at the Walker House also, down the street from there. Most of the questions asked so far are answered by the pictures posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.