Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
prop shaft runout on stock bravo1, READ PLEASE >

prop shaft runout on stock bravo1, READ PLEASE

Notices

prop shaft runout on stock bravo1, READ PLEASE

Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched the clymer manual and found some specs for prop shaft runout....." if shaft runout is .005" or greater the shaft is bent" well.....don't know if this is an issue that needs to be addressed right away or can it wait a while? If i pull my lower off, I wonder how much $$$ it would cost to have a new shaft installed?? It may be bent slightly but it doesn't vibrate or anything like that.. It may be contributing to my prop blowout though? don't know. The next time i take the boat out, I will try to pay attention to which engine is cavitating.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

anyone have a good used stock lower port side they would be willing to sell at a resonable price??
Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just have it checked out? The prop shaft is about the easiest part to remove and replace. All the clearances are already set prior to shaft install. Just gotta set the carrier bearing preload when reinstalling the carrier crush sleeve/carrier retaining nut.

Been a few yrs since I rebuilt mine...is the .005 runout measured with the shaft installed and measured at the prop washer, or with the shaft removed and held between centers and measured at prop washer? Big difference

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

with .005 runout,go boating and dont worry about it,it will be fine.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

I measured it with the shaft installed, I set my indicator pointer just below the splines. .005" isn't alot, thought about putting the dial indiactor back on, getting a big pipe and trying to see if i can "tweak" it alittle bit. Its not out by much. This might be very minor and probably don't need to worry about it like the previous posting..?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

I set up the dial indicator and measured it at the end of the splines, between the the splines and the bottom of the threads and i get .003" but get .005" at the bottom of the splines, I think im gonna run and not worry about it. I'll talk to my boat guy and see what he thinks. Has anyone put an indicator on a brand new shaft?? Does a new one have "0" runout??
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 290enticer
I measured it with the shaft installed, I set my indicator pointer just below the splines. .005" isn't alot, thought about putting the dial indiactor back on, getting a big pipe and trying to see if i can "tweak" it alittle bit. Its not out by much. This might be very minor and probably don't need to worry about it like the previous posting..?
You might also tweak the bearings doing that
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

yeah, im not gonna do this, don't think i can move it anyway. don't want to cause any other problems.