Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow........ I WISH I COULD FLY ONE OF THESE
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Flying copters is definitely a blast. Being able to fly and shoot weapon platforms, takes it to even a higher level. This was the only thing better than boating!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Always been told not to go underneath them during a poker run. Not sure why but I believe it messes up their down force especially if the boat is moving faster than the helo.
When we flew over you guys on the Hudson, the pilot explained that it was incase some thing were to break off, as in a prop blade, that we could be instantly f'ed. Same reason we flew over instead of under bridges. Never know who's going to throw something.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

You should have been in veit nam !
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glassdave
For us racing we have been within fifty or a hundred feet easy, they buz the deck pretty good and also get some amazing shots. Right Sharkey?
Brings back some memories...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Spiderman
Helicopter's....i have lost so many friend's in helo crashes.......my question is how safe it is flying over us........good,bad or other wise...tom gentry told me it really mess's up the air flow on his tunnel ................ 500 feet over trafic ! Let us have your opintion ............thx
The pilot should never really have to fly over a boat nor should a boat ever go under one.

I can't tell you how hard I prayed when we were hovering over an incident on the race course and I saw Talk'n Trash coming right for us. I couldn't thank Vinnie enough for the timing he had getting off the throttles and getting back on. I watched as they came under the chopper and the rooster tail dropped as he pulled out of the throttles. As they exited the other side (my side) I watched as he hammered down the throttles, the rooster tail came back up towards me like 2 fire hoses had just been turned on. Fortunately he was just far enough away that I only got some mist from the rooster tail.
It would have been a different story if he got on the sticks sooner. The chopper would have been knocked out of the sky and I wouldn't be here today to respond to this post.

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 04-14-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Always been told not to go underneath them during a poker run. Not sure why but I believe it messes up their down force especially if the boat is moving faster than the helo.
I would think the pressures could change, but the real risk as my pilot had explained at the Poker Run, his concern was we could not see the boat if it is under us and the rooster could take us out....

Flying too low in rough sea conditions the pressure changes. If the trough is deep enough, you suddenly will loose your pressure from the blades to the water and the chopper could just drop.

My pilot I use is always conscious of his altitude. Should the engine loose power he always leaves himself room from other objects to try to glide the chopper away and have more of a chance to avoid a collision . If you ever noticed Tim, whenever we do the photos down the bow he is usually way ahead of the boat and in a climbing position. We cross the path of the boat without remaining in front of it....

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 04-14-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

The pilot I had in Florida a few years back had me so close to the boats I had a hard time getting the whole boat in the frame with a wide angle lens.

At one point he came right up the rooster tail of a cat and managed to get the water on my equipment.

The Video guy had the priority and control over the pilot.
Once I got wet I told him to back off.

I typically shoot with telephoto lenses any way so I don't need to be real close to the boats.

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 04-14-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered

Sharkey............really a great explanation.........thx man

Last edited by Spiderman; 04-14-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.