Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built? >

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Notices

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imp. 31 and 25....
Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Man, I wish I could remember the name of the boat. Early to mid nineties, a local dealer was running around in a demo trying to sell them. Was a 26 maybe, and they offered a couple other sizes, looked a lot like a liberator. Got on the thing and started grabbing hold of winshield, gunnels, etc and everything flexed, I mean visible movement including the hullsides. Supposed to be "high performance offshore boat, very fast" LOL. I want to say Mirage but not really sure, been too many years.
Maybe the infamous Raven Countach???
Attached Thumbnails Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?-countach.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered

Default Corvair with bald tires on ice in gale force winds!

Wow, it was years and years ago, maybe 1985-86? Was in the Grand Haven, Michigan area and I went for a ride in a Checkmate (I think that is what it was) with a big block Chevy. He had bought the boat and they installed his engine. Maybe $15K more than a "standard" performance engine. At 45-50 boat seemed stable and nice. Felt solid. Over 55 everything became hinkey! It had more flex then a 14 year old Russian Olympic gymnist, and it never came out of it. Owner said his first one was even worse and so they built the second. He was giviing the second back and they were giving him a new model/style. Don't know what happened after that. It was a beautiful boat on the trailer and at dock, but on the water at speed it was like driving a Corvair with bald tires on ice in gale force winds! If you have ever driven a car with out of balance tires that needed aligned, then you know what it felt like!

Last edited by PI Boater; 04-14-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Caravelle Interceptor.
I looked at one of these way back . I thought not bad till i looked down the side of the hull , wow it was so wavy it made you dizzy . Cheap , cheap , cheap . Glad i held out .
Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Registered

Profile Profile Profile.........enough said .............
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Dude I met last summer had a 34 profile and told me that the boat broke in 1/2 in the bay had to have extra stringer put in it ??? Fell apart on him??? Nice lookin boat, clean...Dude had a lot of work done to the boat...
Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Registered

I had a1978 28 foot Martini, it was a flexi flyer, after every weekend I had to reglass the hull. That boats ambition was to lay at the bottom of Lake Michigan.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by Troy Ray
I had a1978 28 foot Martini, it was a flexi flyer, after every weekend I had to reglass the hull. That boats ambition was to lay at the bottom of Lake Michigan.

That is F'ing Funny
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Man, I wish I could remember the name of the boat. Early to mid nineties, a local dealer was running around in a demo trying to sell them. Was a 26 maybe, and they offered a couple other sizes, looked a lot like a liberator. Got on the thing and started grabbing hold of winshield, gunnels, etc and everything flexed, I mean visible movement including the hullsides. Supposed to be "high performance offshore boat, very fast" LOL. I want to say Mirage but not really sure, been too many years.

I think this is the same Mirage as the guy who took over our molds that we built off from a old 72 26 foot Monza that my father had.The guy was a great mold builder from S-2 but he built the boat like he still worked at Slickcraft.

We sold the 18 foot mold to the guys who started Powerplay/Powerquest and that is where they got their beginning.

The 26 mold fell into this guys hands by way of default as he scammed us out of them which was no big deal as we closed the doors in 1980 as the boat market turned as bad as it is today.

I never rode in the mirage but my buddy in Grand Haven has been on a few and said they were a piece of work.

Is this the same boat?

As far as the worst i seen i dont remember the brand but they were built in Miami and i looked at a few at auctions that looked like they were laid up in a 3 hour period and than pulled from the mold.

Obviously purpose built 1 time boats but can't remember the brand.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This could very well be the winner.

1988 Peterborough Indy 220 I bought new. 460 King Cobra package

I owned it 2 seasons. Total running time of 119 hrs from new.
It blew 13 drives. I think it spent more time at OMC than with me.
The seat bases pulled out of the floor 3 times and the seat swivel brackets broke 5 or 6 times each.
Cabin doors and frame flew out of the boat and sank in Lake Ontario. Oh ya, and so did the engine hatch.
Cockpit floor lifted from the stringers.
Dash flexed up and down so bad it cracked the windshield on the passengers side.
Swim platform flew off on the highway one day.
Steering rack broke free from the dash.
Radio caught fire. Actual flames came out of the tape slot.
Every screwed part of the boat came lose, repeatedly.
I think I replaced every screw in the boat with the next size up and then epoxy, toothpicks and the next size up.

I traded it for my 1990 Power Play and the dealer called me a week later to ask about the repair to the port stringer. I said no repairs that I knew of. He then told me the motor mount ripped out of the stringer with a 18" long piece of stringer still bolted to it.

Great looking boat but it literally fell apart as it went.

And just for ****sandgiggles, I was turning left one day with it behind the truck on my way back from one of its multiple warranty visits when one of the trailer axles sheered off sending a wheel, tire, brake drum and axle chunk careening into the door of a parked cop car.
Attached Thumbnails Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?-indy-220-bbf.jpg  

Last edited by Airpacker; 04-14-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.