Notices

New boat build Questions

Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New boat build Questions

As some might know, I am in the process of a new build, I find my self adding additional upgrades all the time. I still have a few that I am considering like GPS touch screen, should I get this or just use a hand held? What about Auto Halon, I have had this in all my other boats but should I add this? How about a Dual Pro battery charger? can't I just use a trickle charger when at home? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

If you feel you will use the options enough to justify the cost, then add them. If not, don't waste teh money. I don't see a reason to have a dual battery charger on board if the boat is mostly trailered.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Registered

Halon - good idea

GPS - A chartplotter is definitely a good idea. Personally I don't care for the touchscreens in a boat, too hard to use when you are bouncing around. I would recommend the traditional key scroll over the touch screen. Hard mounted over a handheld, but a handheld is good to keep along just in case.

Anything else you have to decide if its of a benefit to your or not. You can always add stuff later on.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Registered

Ive always had on-board battery chargers! It seems to help when you have a stereo turned up all day!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

If it was my boat I would do a GPS (not a touch screen because of the glare from your finger prints)....

The Halon, be greatfull you have never used one in the past; however, if the time came up that you needed to use one and didn't have it, you would be saying

I would recommend the battery charger as well because they are generally much better chargers than a standard trickle charger and will do "step down" charging which is important for some high end batteries to survive. The step down chargers will ususally start charging at 40A, then slow down to 20, 10, 5, 3, and 1 and charge each battery at the same time individually.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Agreed with above. Get a good, non-touch screen GPS. I currently am upgrading my boat to a Garmin 4208.

I also agree with an engine room extinguisher, one less thing to worry about.

Battery charger is also a great idea, I added one to my boat last year and plugged it in for all the poker runs and never once had to worry about a dead battery. It is nice to just run an extension cord to the boat and plug it in. I keep a HD 110 50' cord and a couple adapters to plug into any marina. I can run the lights, stereo, etc. all night and not worry.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I did go with the Halon and Battery charger, I'm gonna hold off on the touch screen GPS for now and get a non-touch. Also today I added the new Vantage View Gauges, Anchor locker, Fender Cleats, Billet Throttle and Remote for swim platform.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Agreed with above. Get a good, non-touch screen GPS. I currently am upgrading my boat to a Garmin 4208.

I also agree with an engine room extinguisher, one less thing to worry about.

Battery charger is also a great idea, I added one to my boat last year and plugged it in for all the poker runs and never once had to worry about a dead battery. It is nice to just run an extension cord to the boat and plug it in. I keep a HD 110 50' cord and a couple adapters to plug into any marina. I can run the lights, stereo, etc. all night and not worry.
You're gonna love the 4208, the G2 Vision chip is pretty cool, worth the money IMO.