Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   US Appeals Court rules Pledge of Allegience Unconstitutional (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27454-us-appeals-court-rules-pledge-allegience-unconstitutional.html)

supercrash 07-02-2002 11:50 AM

Jim....thanks for the kind words...

You coming to my house and blowing my head off would be exactly what your god wants...

He instructs you to Murder all nonbelievers..

It's your choice..tou don't have to worship him...

Just like bush sr. says "I don't consider Atheits American citizens nor do I consider them to be Patriots"

This coming from a country that says they have religious tolerance

And you have brought this board to a new low by threatening me with murder...that hurts everybody

mlitefan 07-02-2002 11:51 AM

According to U.S. News & World Report, 96 percent of us believe in God.

Crash...like it or not YOU are out of the mainstream and YOU are the one with "far out" beliefs...

Scream all you like but THAT is a fact...If twisting the bible to suit your far out beliefs helps you sleep at night, knowing the choice YOU made, go for it...after all, aren't you glad you live in a country where you have freedom OF religion and not freedom FROM religion?

That IS what you want...Freedom OF religion and not freedom FROM religion...right?

Btw…you need to dig up better atheist material…the same two or things you like to twist and take out of context from the bible are getting old…

Ron P 07-02-2002 11:54 AM

SC don't you get it. You won't get rid of religion. In fact your the one preaching religion more than anyone else here. Your religion is anti religion. However your more annoying that any Bible thumper I have ever met. I'll turn away from you quicker than anyone else simply because you come off like a lunatic trying to make a point that no one wants to hear.

Yes, more wars are started over religious beliefs than for any other reason. Yes the world would be (possibly) a more peaceful place without religion. But that is not the world we live in. You have chosen your religion, or lack thereof, so has everyone else.

Deal with it.

supercrash 07-02-2002 11:57 AM

ya mlite 96% in this country...Go find the billions of Muslims...If there are more people believing in Allah then does that make your god a far out beliefe....?....Yes it does...according to your logic

mlitefan 07-02-2002 12:07 PM

Following my own advice and stop feeding the trolls...

What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.

Why does it Matter?

Some people -- particularly those who have been online for years -- are not upset by trolls and consider them an inevitable hazard of using the net. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without ants."

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

Another problem is that the negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

The Internet is a wonderful resource which is breaking down barriers and stripping away prejudice. Trolls threaten our continued enjoyment of this beautiful forum for ideas.

What can be Done about Trolls?

When you suspect that somebody is a troll, you might try responding with a polite, mild message to see if it's just somebody in a bad mood. Internet users sometimes let their passions get away from them when seated safely behind their keyboard. If you ignore their bluster and respond in a pleasant manner, they usually calm down.

However, if the person persists in being beastly, and seems to enjoy being unpleasant, the only effective position is summed up as follows:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

WATERBABY 07-02-2002 12:14 PM

:mad: This is a very sad and somewhat scary thing!
They are literally ripping away the foundation of our country!
I am impressed by the amount of replies this topic has already generated, but if we feel so strongly about this, then let's not restrict our outrage to this board!
Yell! Scream! And let your Congressmen and Senators hear you. That is part of the reason so many things go on in this country that we Americans don't believe in, because we sit back and are silent.

Neverfastenuf 07-02-2002 12:15 PM

Crash, you interpet that God "encourages" these actions, this is YOUR perception of the Biblical teachings. No where does it say God encourages this. It was his way of cleansing, the wrath of God. Yes, he is all powerful and his wrath is mighty. On the other hand, he is also a very giving God. You say this is a terrifying world because of religion. Your perception again. Many believe just the opposite. Crash, to reiterate what many have said, just because you do not wish to believe in something others do, does not give reason to become so irrational and harbour such ill content towards others. I harbour no animosity towards you because of your beliefs. You need to realize that when you speak ill of MY God, it is as severe as speaking derogatory towards my earthly father, even more so. My faith has brought me countless blessings and favor. I can not imagine my life getting any better than it is right now. I am NOT pushing this on you, I am merely stating FACTS regarding my life. We each live with the right to choose which path we take, you have chosen one way, I another. Regardless which path, we should remain tolerable of others and respect his or her decision. I am sure you will have a rebuttal, you always seem to have to have the last word, which is your right, I just hope you can keep it somewhat civil. Thanks. ;)

supercrash 07-02-2002 12:25 PM

Neverfast...your the same as them...

"Become irrational and harbor such ill content"

Are you crazy....?...

Jim just threatened to come to my house and blow my head off

And you bring up that I am irrational for posting bible verses...?

I think that it is you that are thinking irrational

Neverfastenuf 07-02-2002 12:30 PM

One last thought here, if 96% of us believe in GOD, and we are the strongest, most financially opportunistic, most sought after place to live, what does that say about our belief????? Maybe, just maybe, there is something to it after all. :D :D

Neverfastenuf 07-02-2002 01:03 PM

Crash, I believe that your terminology in a previous post refering to us as sheep is meant in a somewhat derogatory manner, am I not mistaken??? If I am, I stand corrected. These were what I was refering to. I have no problem with you quoting Bible verses, it is not irrational, that is your perception. Your insinuations that we believers are not intelligent enough to think for ourselves (ie. sheep reference) is irrational and DOES harbour ill content. This is your perception, and yes, it is your right to derive upon this conclusion any way you feel deemed to do so. Conversely, you have the uncanny ability to aggravate, and I believe you do it so knowingly, others to the point of name calling and even threats. Why this is of such great importance to you is not of my concern, although you are very well versed in these debate tactics. You "pushed" Jims buttons, which was rather menial, as he was one who was engaging your discussion with forthright politeness and consideration. If I am being "irrational" here I apologize in advance and gladly submit MY BAD. :p ;)