Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who would do it all over again?? >

Who would do it all over again??

Notices

Who would do it all over again??

Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I have never lived more then 5 miles (in most cases within sight of) from the Chesapeake Bay or Atlantic ocean my whole life. I have known nothing different and wouldn't know if I would like something else but there is no reason to risk it now.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I grew up boating on the lakes and rivers of North Central Alabama. Some of my fondest memories are those with my Dad and Brother on the water.

I moved to Miami when I was 23. OH MY GOD!!! Water everywhere and year round boating...I was in heaven!!! Saw my first Formula in '76 at the old Dinner Key Boat Show...been hooked ever since.

Yes...I would do it again...just more of it!!! Not just offshore but there is a whole new frontier to discover here also...Air Boats!!!

But that's a chapter I have yet to write....
Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On thing I would do different is considered a few of my early purchases deeper with a different outcome. My first two boats when I was young were purchased with haste. Could've held out a little longer found something nicer or faster. It was a lesson that has served me well in life.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatlakestate
BajaDan, good point. Not many true " boaters " around me here in inland West Michigan... Many of the people I know who have boats are either fishermen or have an old pontoon to putz around in. But every year the weekend after labor day we have Hot Boat Weekend on Hardy pond (Muskegon River) My first time going was last year and I was blown away... Offshore boats, jets, cats, you name it. Biggest I saw was 43 Black Thunder... The whole thing was amazing.
I would love to be around something like that and must attend the LOTO Shootout or Desert Storm or other such event in the near future. Several friends (that I only know through another forum) and I are planning a boating get together this summer and I am really looking forward to it. That will definately be a new experience.

On the subject of this thread, boating is a lot of work. While I addressed my love of being on the water, what I did not address was my love of the boat itself. The maintenance and improvements that are a necessary part of boating successfully is just part of the fun for me. I love making the boat "better" be that replacing a worn part or doing something that improves performance. It is all a part of the experience for me. That is what winter is for after all!

Enjoy,

Dan
Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I have had alot of other hobbies,
Harleys, ridden across country few times.
Jap bikes
Motorhomes, campers, trailers.
Ferrari, corvette etc
Jeeps, Desert buggies, sand rails, 4x4 trucks.
dirt bikes, three wheelers, Quads,
Scuba diving.

and the one thing that i have always had at least one of at all times is a boat.
well also always had a bike until a month ago
Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

it started when i was off shore fishing with my dad when i was in third gread. got my fist cc when i was 16 first power boat at 21. lots of fun times, good friends, time ,money , blood, swet, tears, headakes, etc. down to 2 boats of my own now and take care of my dads trawler.would do it all over a bit diffrently of course. all i have known

Last edited by caseyh; 04-18-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process of re building another boat right now & on a tight schedule.

I hate boats, boating & anything that rhymes with the word.....

Ask me the same question in a few weeks & itll be a totally different answer when im in the water.
Its a b`itch aint it ?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Really hit home a few yrs back when the boat was laid up for a season due to a complete repower...when it got really hot during the summer we didnt know what to do with ourselves and every suggestion def felt like second best.

Im building this race car but it will be for the cooler months (like now) before and after boating season.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 04-18-2012 at 08:40 PM.