Notices

faria fuel sending unit

Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default faria fuel sending unit

My faria fuel gauge quite working and I found the sending unit went bad. After removing the sending unit I have been looking everywhere but unable to find one exactly like it, I have found other faria sending units but they are longer than the one that came off the boat. This is the one that I took off the boat

Here is the other faria sending unit I found which is too long

I found this MOELLER one that says it's a substitute to the faria sending unit I have but I have been told not to put a different brand sending unit from the gauge. This is the other one I found by the name of MOELLER

What have you guys done before if you can't find one exactly like the one you took out of the boat?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 272 please post your outcome and results. I need to replace one of the sending units on my sonic as well and have Faria Gauges. Haven't dug the old one out yet but I'm pretty sure its the sending unit. Cause I have twin tanks one gauge works fine other lays on 'E', but if I switch the wireing between the two gauges the other one works fine.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Registered

This is the one i used with my original Faria gauges years ago on my old Baja when i had to replace. Worked great and better than original.

Fuel Sender

Last edited by firehill19; 04-17-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered

Hardin marine sells a cut to fit, floatless tube sender, doesent fluctuate w fuel movement, no moving parts, can calibrate the empty and full locations on the guage

http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-1391-gauge-senders.aspx
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered

Can you put a different namebrand sender to a faria gauge? Have you guys done it and has it worked or is there anything special you have to do to get it to work?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

I think a standard is 33-200 ohms from empty to full
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

Actually mine i bought is like Shawns, just from Eddie Marine. Changed my link in my previous post. These will work with the Faria gauge. Don't have to be brand specific.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

I just changed one for a faria gauge and used a Marpac sender. they are 33-240 ohm. the gauge does not care whos sender it is and sender does not care what gauge it is so long as they are both using the same ohm range. faria uses 33-240 so any sender in that range and for the height you have will work. the senders will be for 6" to 12" or what ever and you cut the rod and move the float to match what you have.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Well I finally replaced the sender and STILL DOESN'T WORK! The sender was bad though, I tried checking for ohms but the old sender didn't have any. However the new one I put in there did have the proper ohm reading from 33-240. So I know the new sender is good.

I went back to the gauge, the gauge is getting 7.6 volts when I hooked my voltmeter to it so I know at least the gauge is good. I put a new sender wire from the tank to the gauge and it still didn't work!! So new sender, new sender wire to gauge and still nothing. It's very frustrating how would you test to make sure the ground is good? When I first diagnosed the guage I took the red sender wire and grounded it and the gauge pegged all the way past full. What do I do to see if the ground is good?