Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
There is a gap in the market which has never been filled... >

There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...

Notices

There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...

Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Sonny Levi got it right 50 years ago.

Stumbled on this older thread by mistake, but found it thought provocative. If money wasn't an object this slightly updated design of Sonny Levi's old classic is of course very attractive. Mr. Levi's son Martin and a couple of his friends brought this to market a few years back. The quality of the boat and the attention to detail is mighty impressive. The seaworthiness is legendary and the performance leaves nothing to be desired. She is trailerable, but a decent size tow vehicle is required.

It's time for me to snap out of it and be a little more realistic. The truth is that due to the manufacturing cost of a new boat, that meets the majority of the criteria that has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it is very unlikely that the practical boater who is after this type of boat will at this time buy a new boat period. What I find more interesting is to see some more descriptions by prospective buyers and current owners who will/have update(d) a certain boat model as far as performance, comfort or any other features that are at the core of this puzzling gap in the market.

Video of Corsair Classic 28 by Levi Boat Company:
http://youtu.be/PTCOMnHzpCw

Corsair Classic 28 info. link:
http://www.leviboats.com/corsair-classic.php

Here are a few more boats that might fit the bill? Let's see some more and what You'd like to do to them.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...twin-700s.html

Doesn't this fit the bill???????
The following users liked this post:
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This fits the bill too 47 wellcraft Arneson AS7s, yes please
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjTcDKqoxY
Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This fits the bill for me.........generator, microwave, stove, AC/heat and bathroom space for her........454 mag's and thru-hull exhaust for me
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510386[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...-rosie-sunset.jpg  
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed
This fits the bill too 47 wellcraft Arneson AS7s, yes please
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjTcDKqoxY
This 47 is FOR SALE and is BadAss...
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it hard to argue with the Magnum 25. It solves all the problems discussed I think. Here is a 1973.
Attached Thumbnails There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...-1973magnum25.jpg  
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 06-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Registered

Default Bump

Just happened upon this thread while researching early Bertrams, Magnum 27's (with salon-was saloon in the US until prohibition &#128521, and anything else I could find that will get me across Buzzards Bay, the islands, and around the cape on weekends. Initially, I started with wooden boats of the era first pictured because there are so few in this country. Eventually, I came upon OSO and began doing more research on the Americans and found Hand, Hunt, and a few others.
I don't want to sail (too effing slow) but, as some have pointed out previously in this thread, NOBODY seems to have done decent performace with accomodations after about 1990 with true OFFSHORE capability while also being efficient until you hit the halo designs of Levi, Magnum, and other Med-yachts.
Now going to sift through all the lovely details you guys (the true experts) have provided while waiting for my next appointment.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zurn makes a 60 mph 50' day boat
Zurn 50 Rolls Royce Jet Driven Motor Boat. Luxurious high performance. Classic New England style.
Midnight is building a 60' performance yacht - 60' Pied-A-Mer - Midnight Express
Magnum's can be built custom as well.
A few similar boats have been built but al have been custom.
I have a design for a 65mph 44' cabin cruiser. There's not much market for it though
Old 06-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Registered

Interesting. One would think a performance pocket cruiser (30-35 feet) or similar would hit the spot.
What is your 44 like and why do you say not much of a market? Looks like boats and real estate are hot right now.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Old thread but that's ok, anything about boats is still current!

Luxury boats are too expensive, performance boats are also over the top. Put enough power in a boat with all the extras (and weight) to make it go fast you are combining two huge expenses to make one 'mega expense'.

The 44' mentioned above might be sensational but I'll bet it would be over 1 million bucks and it's a tough market. Try selling one from a line drawing or a computer image, its not easy, if you invest the money and build one, the first buyer will come along and say "I'll order one, but I want bigger engines, different colors and can you alter the layout to a two stateroom.........." That's ok if you plan on holding a demo boat but it's a big investment from a manufacturer, especially a custom builder.

Very difficult market to crack.
My 2 cents.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 06-28-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.