Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
There is a gap in the market which has never been filled... >

There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...

Notices

There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...

Old 06-27-2017, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are hauling your house as part of your boat this adds up to a lot of weight. Pushing weight through the water costs a bunch of fuel. Fuel is a huge amount of one's operating expenses. That's why many boat to a place to stay on land. My slow 42 foot sailboat uses 50 gallons of diesel in a week. My Donzi will cover the same water in two days at speed. What boating provides are choices.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dandercam1,
Is that a Donzi? Looks to be about 32' and sounds very much like what I'm looking for.
If it is a Donzi, reviews have been a bit frightening. Is that all just crazy talk?
Old 07-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by martinbrown2832
I've always liked the day cruiser's looks. Bump it up to 30-35', put a pair of diesels in it and you'll be good to go.
Deja-vu? Post number 2, Catmando posted the following....
"I've always liked the day cruiser's looks. Bump it up to 30-35', put a pair of diesels in it and you'll be good to go."

Old 07-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

It's been seven years since this thread started, and still this untapped market has not materialized. Cuddy cabin boat models are dwindling. That doesn't surprise me. They are not that useful. There is typically no head, stove, or pressurized water. Headroom is zilch. All they are good for is lying down out of the sun. The Express cruisers have the amenities, but are too big. Closest is probably the walkaround fish boats, and even that market seems to have shrunk.

Last edited by Michael1; 07-06-2019 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

That older pristine Chris Craft in post 51 is stunning. Jeez, what a restoration (or is it a pic from a million years ago?)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indy, I agree, that's a cool old boat.

Back in the 80s, some of the Cali builders where putting out "Day Cruisers". Sleekcraft built a small 23' all the way up to 36'. They all had a flat deck in the front with high-rise mid decks. From the inside it was an open cabin with the typical layout. The 23' and 26' (the best seller) were shallow vee's but the 28' to 36' were deeper. They were cool boats with really nice gel work. I know Hawaiian and Eliminator made them a well. A severely updated design like that might do ok with a closed cabin

Last edited by iamjoe; 07-07-2019 at 09:17 AM.
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually building a widened Chris Cat that you can spend the night on. The tunnel is the bed which is 5x7. It'll have a hanging locker on one side and drawers on the other. It'll have a shower in the cockpit, marine head and air conditioning. With the 400R Mercs it'll still be over 100mph boat. You can cruise at 80-90 and still get 2.5 miles to the gallon. Very fast and efficient. I've been boating all my life and have spent many nights on a boat. Personally, I love to anchor out and wake up on the boat. The first one will be finished by the end of the year.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Old thread but still interesting.....
In Australia, a guy called Bruce Harris, designd and built "Harriscat" for fishing and a couple of variations for offshore racing. Not super fast but excellent offshore. Sports boat builder 'Fastlane' picked up the molds for the 32 footer but only built a handful of boats. Bit bigger than most of the boats mentioned here but they had a huge cockpit, big cabin, high freeboard and handled just about any sea conditions.
Here's a couple that came on the market and I would have considered them but timing was all wrong for me. The white one was a repo and would have made a great project but the black one had been redone with newer power. Cockpit very basic but loads of potential and the cabin hadn't been touched.
Every time I look at the pics, I wonder if one will come up again when I'm cashed up and boatless....
RR

Old 07-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Way back... in San Francisco, we raced this Sleekcraft '32. ( Purchased from Tony Garcia / an Arneson Cougar driver ( Michelob Light(?) It was a stock class, twin Merc 454's / Arnesons. A speed record holder in a stock class / Lake Mead.
( I parked it in front of my parent's house)

The cabin was very comfortable with bench seats, sink & a head!! It handled great!! This hull was not bothered by quartering seas.

Last edited by mountie; 07-07-2019 at 09:33 AM.
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

10 years ago as one went to the lake on the weekends, it was mostly I/O boats running around unless there was a bass fishing tourny in the mourning and few pontoons running around. Anyways - the huge gap in the market is now -- I/O s - the lakes are mainly - wake boats - pontoon boats and anything else on the water has outboards installed. By far 2019 and beyond ??? is the death of I/O s. 2019 is the biggest gap in the market I have ever seen and I have been in the marine industry for 30 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.