Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How often to change oil (be good with math) >

How often to change oil (be good with math)

Notices

How often to change oil (be good with math)

Old 06-27-2002, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ssherman
As for where I work you didnt hear I am in a new field now and since your life is so boring and you have nothing better to do than be intrigued by mine. I am sure you will be looking into it. So I will take that as a compliment.
A
Quite to the contrary. Just watching you make a total fool of yourself is rather entertaining. Thanks for all the laughs.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:34 PM
ssherman

I can tell

Old 06-27-2002, 09:28 PM
loosecannon22

true true, the question here should not be about miles driven in a car to compare to a boat. this theory holds no water, pardon the pun. But I look at it this way, (and yes I am good at math, or so said my calc 3 teacher when i passed enginering math) but i still cant spell. you have to look at the amount of gas passing through the engine. or in other words the amount of hours it is run at normal cruise speed. out on a boat we do not have the conditions found out on a road, ie dust grass, road chips and on and on. just look at your cars air filter after 5000 miles and bang it on the ground and see what comes out! whoa!! but, the thing that will hurt your boat engine is carbon, something that forms when hot gasses pass your rings, which happens when the piston goes up on compression stroke and gets blown down. now, in my truck, i never bring the old 460 up to 5500 rpm but in the boat I get it there or close to it, and leave it there for a while. you do the math 5500 rpm / 60 = 91.6 my crank spins 91.6 times a second!!! divide that by 4 and you get 22.9
22.9 times a second there is carbon getting passed my pistons and dirtying my oil!!! oil is cheap my poor bearings that have to deal with that crank spinning 92 times a second do not want MR carbon on them. 25 hours for a change of oil? HELL YEAH!!