Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone having FORD PSD chip problems??? >

Anyone having FORD PSD chip problems???

Notices

Anyone having FORD PSD chip problems???

Old 06-16-2002, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Anyone having FORD PSD chip problems???

I have a '99 PSD that I am having some problems with lately. The truck has always been super-reliable since the day I got it, then last November at 125,000 miles I had to replace the transmission (and torque converter) . This was the first time I had to fix anything on the truck...even with all that towing!

I was in Miami in February of this year and put a chip (Diablo) in the truck. At this time the truck had 153,000 miles on it. On my way home (with a 42' Tiger) I had to replace the torque converter (I also replace the trans again--I think I got scammed) Now at 178,000 miles, the torque converter is screwed again. I don't know much about fixing stuff, but I really think the chip is screwing up the torque converter(s) in my truck. I sent the chip back to get tested, I'm waiting for the results. This sucks having to spend about $550.00 to replace another converter.
To answer some questions first before you can help me, the truck has always been 110% maintained since the day I drove it off the lot. I added a bigger exhaust and a K&N filter to work with the chip. The chip has a "lifetime" warranty.

Anyone have any suggestions or info??
Old 06-16-2002, 08:40 PM
sfiron

I had problems with the Superchip on my 2000PSD F-250. erratic shifting and felt like it was slipping on a trip to Ensenada, Mex. sand dunes. On the trip back I decided to trade it in for 2001 F-250 V-10, Before taking the PSD to trade it in, I took the chip out, the problems cleared up completely. I went through with the deal for the V-10 anyway and like it a lot better. No more hunting around for diesel, and having to turn the motor off at drive-thru windows cause of the noise.

Old 06-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sfiron: Look at the noise the diesle makes as trying to help you out. Eating at anyplace with a drive up window is bad for you. Right TooOld

I am having shake in my transmision lately on shifting. I have brought it into the dealer twice now and a third time coming up and we will see what they say, but so far it is "all normal" At leaste I am building a history of the complaint so that if I do have a problem I will hopefully have some recourse. Mine is stock except for the exhaust and filter

Jon
Old 06-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw on another board ,some problems with Diablo chips .If I remember where I'll let you in on it . I just had a guy here on Friday with a 2001 F350 with a Super chip programmer that has bad transmission problems shifting . He says he puts it in to tow for the power but takes it out empty because it shifts so bad he dosen't want to blow it up ! HELLOW !!! TAke it out ! I am going to install the Western diesel chip for him next week . We'll see if it helps.

You do need to realize that heavy loads , more power and automatics don't mix well ! Trying to do the work of a truck with parts ment for a car (automatic ) Usualy bites you ! OH yes ,it has been done by many ,But they sure do blow up alot of them .........

Try draining the fluid directly out of the torque converter when servicing . I am told that this does not drain on it's own . And I was told they get the shakes from bad fluid in the converter .I am no automatic professional. But I have never had a problem with one because I wouldn't buy one to tow with .
Old 06-17-2002, 12:17 AM
Intolerant1

My Hypertech chip just toook a dive on me. Truck completely stopped running. I am told that there can be a problem where the chip contacts the board. Clean the connections. Mine was a bad chip and so far my dealing with Hypertech have not been good. Ill save the details for another post when we see how this plays out.

Old 06-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUY A DURAMAX WITH THE ALLISON.( you ford power joke boys will never learn)
Old 06-17-2002, 12:47 AM
Intolerant1

Some of these guys dont seem to happy:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=26412

Old 06-17-2002, 01:12 AM
Registered

Intolerant, What are you talking about? The only one listing any documented problems was Mrgoodwrench and he repairs them for a living. He stated theres only been a couple with fuel pump failures a computer pblm , and 2 small fuel leaks. That particular post was inquiring about warranty issues if you instal a chip. I've only got 5k on mine so far but its been the best truck i've ever owned. Had 98 cummins it was a good truck for 98k then tranny started slipping. Test drove the powerstroke then did some research and found out there scrapping it.
I knew this would fire up some of the brand loyal boys. I had no particular favorite i was looking to spend my money on what i felt was the best. If i have any problems with it i will post that as well, after all toy vehicles are what gets us to the lake. Just trying to be helpful and informative. By the way i read about a duramax a guy uses to tow a 5th wheel car hauler and he is about to break 300k and thats towing all the time.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default hey Dono...

I know you are just playing around, but I love my Ford PSD. It has been an awesome truck. I have only started having problems because of the chip that was put in the truck. When your truck gets to 178,000 miles and you only replace the trans once and 4 injectors then we'll see!! (the second time I had the trans replaced the guy scammed me--now I know it didn't need to be replaced) Oh I forgot, start towing some heavy loads during all this time also. And try not to do it in 10 years, OK?
Old 06-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

I've got a 94 3500 with an automatic, trannys has been replaced once and truck has 201,000+. The vibration some of us get is convertor chatter and unfortunatly its not unusual in most of the trannys from what I hear. When it starts for me I will hit the O/D button and force a gear change or get it to kick down by giving it a little more gas. I don't know what causes it, but I know some of the fluids are designed to reduce the occurence.

Still haven't chipped mine as I'd rather do it after replacing the motor, but oh well it's still running strong. Of course I don't tow heavy very often either.

Les

Quick Reply: Anyone having FORD PSD chip problems???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.