Where to get a long block? >

Where to get a long block?

Notices

Where to get a long block?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to get a long block?

My engine is getting a little tired and I'm looking into re-powering over this next winter (if it makes it). The current engine has lots of corrosion and I'm hesitant to rebuild it and put more money into it. Stealership recommended looking into a new long block and swapping over the usable parts. I did a quick goggle search and came up with US Engines out of WA and a guy on eBay that also had one. The engine is a 1999 7.4 Volvo GI (330HP is believe).

US Engines has one listed around $2400 or a 425HP model for around $2600. Has anybody ever done business with these guys?

Where else should I look. I completely fine with a stock set up but for an extra $200 for 95 more horses then what the hell right.

What would you do? I'm not in a big hurry, I'm really hoping to get another season out her but I guess we shall see.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just one of many possible trains of thought

There are many directions and answers you question can garner, so please understand this is just one idea.

While your engine might look a little rough, does it still run well? Is the compression good? Does it use oil or have any other issues?

I have had friends who were partial to this re-manufacturer or that one, while others felt they had the worst product available. Sort of a Ford - Chevy discussion. Generally the complaints seem to have more to do with head problems rather than lower end issues.

Ask US Engines for testimonials and warranties.

Talk with mariana operators and other performance boaters what they think. Maybe even talk to Hot Rodders and local engine shops.

Above all else, make sure, if you are not dealing with someone who is usually exclusive to marine use engine, they understand what your use is so if there is a problem, they can't negate any warrantees or guarantees.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you're in FL, check out Eagle Engine sales, they have a location in Lakeland.
My mechanic installs about a dozen of these a year for various customers needing repower, and they've been wholly trouble free for him. I've heard nothing but good things.

http://www.eagleenginesales.com/marine/new
Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Since you're in FL, check out Eagle Engine sales, they have a location in Lakeland.
My mechanic installs about a dozen of these a year for various customers needing repower, and they've been wholly trouble free for him. I've heard nothing but good things.

http://www.eagleenginesales.com/marine/new
+1 i use eagle as well,,no and never any problems.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

big block. i assume fresh water cooled? if always had anti-freeze in it, the corrosion you're looking at is external and cosmetic. and rebuildable. if raw water cooled, it is about 5 cents a pound at the dump.i would find another 454 short bolck, there are lots around. take it to somebody you know or somebody the FL people here suggest. get it done right. then decide what head-cam-induction you want to do. don't forget the exhausts. they are , unless recently done, in worse shape than the motor. then, you built it, and it is an upgrade over stock, and you probably didn't spend much more than a Jasper-ish engine costs. at least, since you don't need to buy this week, research this avenue.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this place. They have a 1 year unlimited hours warranty.

http://remanufactured.com/marine%208...%20engines.htm
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gen V 468 fresh build .... Sitting in garage and I'm not going to use it..will give you a heck of a deal and in Florida. Call me Angel 305-318-0150
Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the info guys. Exhaust is getting replaced right now and that's what sparked all this new engine talk. And yes it is raw water cooled. There was some water that got to the heads and they were looking a little rough. I'll check into all these options.
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera24
Gen V 468 fresh build .... Sitting in garage and I'm not going to use it..will give you a heck of a deal and in Florida. Call me Angel 305-318-0150
Great engine here guys, Angel(Pantera24) is a standup guy, and it was built by another long time forum member/racer Albert, 0 hours on rebuild.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alindquist
Thanks for all the info guys. Exhaust is getting replaced right now and that's what sparked all this new engine talk. And yes it is raw water cooled. There was some water that got to the heads and they were looking a little rough. I'll check into all these options.
Thanks,
Aaron
Also have brand new Mercruiser OEM manifolds with rare oem (new in the box) stainless steel risers.
Will make great deal on all, I have no need for it.

Last edited by Pantera24; 04-27-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.