Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
DS- Predator or Risky Business- 1st Card Stop? >

DS- Predator or Risky Business- 1st Card Stop?

Notices

DS- Predator or Risky Business- 1st Card Stop?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one can run with Romers skater period
Old 04-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
In no way do I expect the guys with big Skaters to run 60 mph all day. I am not closing my eyes and pretending. That was not the point I was making with the 60 mph comment. We are simply promoting the part of the sport that doesn't need the promotion.

The feedback I get it that from the outside is that we are building a society of exclusion in the poker runs. Someone with a 27 Baja should not feel like they are unable to do a poker run. In reality, when I see someone in a small boat show up to a run, they are usually treated with respect and have a great time. But they are not showing up because they think they can't.

Unfortunately, when I invite someone with a single engine boat to a poker run, they usually look at me like I have two heads.

If I had a single engine 60 or 70 mph boat and had never been to a run, saw a thread like this one while trying to decide whether to go to the run or not, I'd be out. " Are you crazy? I can't run with those kinds of boats."

Here is the huge problem created by the lack of smaller boats coming out: We are killing our "feeder system." The people with 52 Outerlimits and 388 Skaters and 40 Nor-techs that we see at poker runs generally started out in 27 Formulas and 29 Fountains or similar boats. They didn't start in huge fast offshores.

The image we are projecting is like telling a 6 year old to not bother picking up a baseball bat unless he can hit the ball 420 feet over the center field fence in Yankee Stadium.

We need people who are new to the sport coming to the runs in the kind of boats that people who are new to the sport buy. Otherwise we will die of attrition.
Correct.

I too have a 28ft boat that runs 90 under perfect conditions and mid to high 80's under wide range of conditions. I like to run and run hard in the ocean and on lakes, but whats the point of running with guys you cant run with?

In my experience guys that drop huge coin dont really want or care if we're around anyway.

Ive never really been welcomed around them in any case - So it never seemed to make sense to me to pay the fees get the insurance for the event and rough up my "low end" gear.

Its not a matter of "if I cant win I dont want to play". Its a matter the event being so lopsided it makes zero sense to even do in the first place and when you combine that with the fact that you aren't really invited to begin with, it feels like crashing a party.

At the same time I get it- If I had a 500K 150+ MPH ride I'd want to show it off and run with guys that could challenge me as well as those I could beat. Its tremendous fun.

Ill continue to go on rides with buddies, but wont bother with my gear.

Uncle Dave
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Fantastic post....another thing that hurts us is DB's that don't even have a boat act as if they are part of the boating community. Just sayin!
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

This thread went in an interesting direction, I'm relatively new to the performance game I've done one local poker run and had a blast everyone was very friendly and helpful. Eventually I'd like to work my way up to doing the "local circuit" with runs like desert storm and Miami to key west being " bucket list" dreams at this point. But I would feel very out of place at any of these big events with my current boat or anything in the foreseeable future and I have a feeling I'm not the only one out there. So I guess my question is where do the everyday average guys fit in anymore nObodys building boats for us anymore we feel uncomfortable even asking to tie up to your million dollar rigs let alone trying to run deck to deck at a poker run
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Hey bud, can I borrow your lambo?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have been poker running for 12 years+ now. I raced for 5 years.
Poker Runs are not races, those who promote them that way are either wrong or playing with fire.
There are a FEW and I am serious when I say FEW at poker runs who are hellbent to be the first to anything. Those guys will always run off and be first. That does not constitute a race. That is just egos and $$$. If that is the most important part of a Poker Run, something is seriously wrong with either the event, promoter, or personal perception of it.
The biggest talkers about poker runs being thinly veiled races are usually the ones who don't even participate!
The best part about poker running is finding a group of like speed boats and running together.
I started out in a 22' Donzi that ran 60-70 and had a blast with like speed boats. Even as I have stepped up to what I have now, I still run in the 80mph group because it is more fun. NJPPC is the perfect example of a poker run for everyone. They run three classes Offshore, 80mph, 60mph.
All groups follow pace boats and even the offshore group can not break out from 80mph until they clear the 1 mile buoy offshore, then they can crank it up.

If you want to race, go race.
If you want to poker run, poker run.
If you have never done either, shut up.

Sorry, but I am sick and tired of this chest pounding, this guys the fastest B.S. and I don't want to loose one of my favorite pleasure boating activities.

Last edited by Tom A.; 04-27-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

I don't understand why anyone would be afraid to enter their boat in a poker run just because it doesn't do 150mph. If you think every poker run participant goes balls out racing deck to deck to the first stop, then you have never been to a poker run or you would know better. A poker run, more than anything, is a big party. Yeah some of the guys with the fast boats break off from the pack and run off on their own, but so what, just let them do their thing and you do yours. DS is a HUGE event; you thing everybody there can run 150+?

Everybody usually hooks up with 3-4 boats that can run the same speed and stick together. Last FPC run I did, I ran with 2 other boats around 65mph the whole way, and we arrived around the middle of the pack. I had a great time, met some great people, got to boat in a new area, and walked away with amazing photos and video of my boat.

So my suggestion is to stop crying that your boat isn't fast enough and go sign up for a run.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

1st Card Stop:

1. DCB M31, G-Force, 1350s/M8s

2. Team CRC, MTI

3. Predator Skater(mechanical issue, was passing the Green M31, and something mechanical failed)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Predator won and then bailed out , and was then passed by the dcb. Get it correct
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Sbarberdds
Predator won and then bailed out , and was then passed by the dcb. Get it correct
What did he win?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.