Notices

2002 Baja 250 Islander

Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Baja 250 Islander

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and am finally ready to purchase my first boat. This is my first boat, so please bear with me! I an currently looking at a Baja 250 Islander. I need a boat that I can use for some near shore fishing but also use as a family boat to do some island hopping with my wife and three year old son. It has nice pads in the bow and folding seats near the transom that convert to storage for bait and a sink. This Baja is reported to be in exceptional condition. It is powered by a single 250 Saltwater Mercury with 165 hours. It has a custom bimini and a folding radar arch, gps, fish finder, stereo, tailor etc. I will be using it in the inter-coastal near St Pete Fl and in the Gulf. It will be kept on a lift. I have done tons of research and have had surveys done on 2 other boats that did not muster up to what was reported in their ads. I am looking to get information on the quality and ride of this boat and a ball park figure of what it may be worth and expected performance. It seems like a really nice boat!

Thanks for any comments!

Nate

Last edited by NSX Nate; 04-28-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM
jfm
Registered

I have an 04 baja 250 sportfish. It has been a good all around boat for my family for the dollar but I would reconsider if you are a serious fisherman. If you want pm me with any questions and I will fill you in on pics and pro's and con's.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking boat. Found several for sale, and most appear to be listed for less than NADA, some a lot less. Good survey and a water test should give you the best info.

I had never seen one before, very nice looking package.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jfm
I have an 04 baja 250 sportfish. It has been a good all around boat for my family for the dollar but I would reconsider if you are a serious fisherman. If you want pm me with any questions and I will fill you in on pics and pro's and con's.

PM sent
Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered

I just found out that the molds from this boat were obtained by Checkmate and it is being produced again.

http://www.checkmatepowerboats.net/C...s-SFX-250.html

It is still being produced with fiberglass over balsacore. Nice to see the that the the powers to be at Checkmate like this boat. I think one of them used to work for Baja. Any special issues with this construction?

Last edited by NSX Nate; 04-29-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Very clean lines on that boat, very sleek in the dark color. Nice to see that Checkmate has resurrected some good hulls and will be building them. That 250 must do pretty well with a 250 on it.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Registered

I've got deposit on the Baja! I hope the survey and sea trial work out!