Notices

OL vs Fountain Single Engine Vee Challenge

Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

VIDEO has been posted :

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ence-ride.html

From what everyone is saying about the ride in the 29 OL it perfectly describes the ride in the 44 SL

Enjoy !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really a nice looking 29............. Mike, is your target market more lake boating or ocean ?.......50-50-.....30-70-..........70-30 %
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Talking

Originally Posted by pm203
Sharkey, are you employed by Ol?
No sir.

Too long of a commute for me as I live in NJ and OL is in Rhode Island.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

No problem . .shark.... Another time
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Spiderman
No problem . .shark.... Another time
Once I post the images of the interior, you will see what I am talking about...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Registered

Thank you
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fountain Weight Versus Ol Weight

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
What would you bring if you wanted to be the fastest Single Engine Vee Bottom ?

I suppose it would be up to the ones that wanted to claim that record.

Reggie Fountain claimed the Fastest Vee Bottom with a Race boat and if I recall Outerlimits brought a Poker Run boat to challenge him .

If a pleasure boat can beat a full blown race boat I think that would be in favor of the winner.

Some people want to compare the Watch Your Back Fountain to this Orange OL 29 and say that it isn't comparing apples to apples because of the full cabin in the OL. My bet would be the OL is probably much lighter regardless of the full cabin.

Let's not forget, Fiore has designed this boat with a Carbon Monocoque X Frame Structure as far as I know. Therefore the stringers and framework that makes up the cabin is also the structural support for the boat. Realistically, a few foam cushions thrown over the structure and a small amount of carpeting to finish it off isn't adding a ton of weight.

Once I have permission to post my cabin shots, you will see there really is not a whole lot to it. A few open lockers made off the structural bulkheads all else is pretty much the structural part of the boat.
The weight topic has finally come up. The Fountain weighed in at over 5000lbs post race. The class minimum was 4750Lbs and most of the phantoms and extremes were pretty close to that at weigh in. The Hull we just built is a viynlester glass boat with hull and deck weighing in at 2650Lbs. Because of the new SVL class rules, all multistep hulls need to weigh in at at least 5000Lbs post race so building a SVL any lighter would mean adding weight to the hull later.

Considerations were made to have Doug Wright build an Epoxy/Carbon boat for us out of our molds. After calculating a layup schedule from a design point, not to include any class weights, a carbon boat could be built under 2000Lbs which includes a full 29 feet of boat exluding bustle, beefy 250Lb canopy structure and windows installed. From a cost standpoint, approx 110K for hull & deck. Would most likely be a hard sell for single purpose race hull. Then we need to add 500-600Lbs of weight to go racing.

I'm figuring the carbon OL 29 comes in WELL under 2000Lbs hull & deck. Couple that with a 600SC and that makes for a very nimble and fast boat.

The rigidness of a carbon boat plays a positive role as well. Less flexing equals more forward momentom.

Also, rule of thumb, a pleasure version with no cabin amenities usually weighs less than its race counterpart which has to carry a canopy and additional bulkheads.