Diesel-Powered 52-foot Outerlimits Hits 94 mph

Notices

Diesel-Powered 52-foot Outerlimits Hits 94 mph

Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
why are there not higher HP diesels for the marine world? H*ll a duramax or 6.4 powerstroke can easily put 550Hp+ to the wheels w/ just a tune?
Banks marinizes duramaxes. Bust out your wallet and build one
Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
So does a 90* V8 with a 90* crank.

I hate to say it, but this inline-6 is better than V8 is urban legend. I spoke to a Cummins engineer once, and asked him about why they use I6's instead of V8's. His response was "packaging", and slight cost reduction. There have been V8 diesel marine engines over the years by Catapillar, Cummins, and others, that ran just fine.

Michael
V8 ??? Do not make me laugh,Here you and your so called Cummins Engineer correct this then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-six_engine

and have them remove this :
"An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion sum to zero.

An inline four cylinder or V6 engine without a balance shaft will experience secondary dynamic imbalance, resulting in engine vibration. As a general rule, the forces arising from any dynamic imbalance increase as the square of the engine speed — for example, if the speed doubles, vibration will increase by a factor of four. In contrast, inline six engines have no primary or secondary imbalances, and with carefully designed crankshaft vibration dampers to absorb torsional vibration, will run more smoothly at the same crankshaft speed (rpm). This characteristic has made the straight-six popular in some European sports-luxury cars, where smooth high-speed performance is very desirable. As engine reciprocating forces increase with the cube of piston bore, straight-six is a preferred configuration for large truck engines.[6]
"

and put your V8 there instead ,with its two banks of 4 cylinders !!!! The V12 which are a pair of 6s connected at the crank are not good as well in your head.

BTW The Cummins Indy car was a straight 6 Also.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[
Originally Posted by Steve 1
V8 ??? Do not make me laugh,Here you and your so called Cummins Engineer correct this then:

That was a great read! Thanks!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

"An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion sum to zero.

An inline four cylinder or V6 engine without a balance shaft will experience secondary dynamic imbalance, resulting in engine vibration. As a general rule, the forces arising from any dynamic imbalance increase as the square of the engine speed — for example, if the speed doubles, vibration will increase by a factor of four. In contrast, inline six engines have no primary or secondary imbalances, and with carefully designed crankshaft vibration dampers to absorb torsional vibration, will run more smoothly at the same crankshaft speed (rpm). This characteristic has made the straight-six popular in some European sports-luxury cars, where smooth high-speed performance is very desirable. As engine reciprocating forces increase with the cube of piston bore, straight-six is a preferred configuration for large truck engines.[6]
"

and put your V8 there instead ,with its two banks of 4 cylinders !!!! The V12 which are a pair of 6s connected at the crank are not good as well in your head.

A V8 only suffers from the same characteristics as a 4 cyl if it uses a flat plane 180* crank, like a ferrari. 90* crankshaft V8s are smoother than V6s and significantly smoother than I4s.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
A V8 only suffers from the same characteristics as a 4 cyl if it uses a flat plane 180* crank, like a ferrari. 90* crankshaft V8s are smoother than V6s and significantly smoother than I4s.
Pairs of 4 bangers in a vee , then you need ; Cross plane cranks with the heavy counterweights and or external balance , No thanks , Not even in my truck , got rid of the last V8 diesel years ago , These inline 6’s do just fine even on very large Cats I am bidding now, plus they fit well !!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

"

Steve, I think you have now officially lost your mind. Keith and I are trying to explain V8 engine balance to you. Since you won't listen people who actually have designed engines for a living, then finish reading the chapter on engine balance on your own where they discuss cylinder counts above 6.

After that move on to power pulses per crank revolution.

Michael
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Michael1
Steve, I think you have now officially lost your mind. Keith and I are trying to explain V8 engine balance to you. Since you won't listen people who actually have designed engines for a living, then finish reading the chapter on engine balance on your own where they discuss cylinder counts above 6.

After that move on to power pulses per crank revolution.

Michael
NO, YOU Lost your mind !! Coming in with this crap AND Miss my point by a Damn Grand Canyon ! OL I am very sorry about this drift OFF Topic here , That beautiful Boat you built and this plunge into V8's for some nonsense.

BTW Mikey1, I design and build Boats that these motors have to power, That said I have been thinking about a 38 foot inline 6 Boat with 2JZ Engines .

Let’s see firing in a V8 Cheby Crossplane ; 1 = L , 8 = R , 4 = R , 3 = L , 6 = R , 5 = L , 7 = L , 2 = R
Firing LRRLRLLR Banks , there is your sound now ,a flat plane like a Ferrari they alternate banks.

Mikey1, I have the solution to your power pulse Problem , How about a V8 Two stroke diesel ??

==

Last edited by Steve 1; 05-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

NO, YOU Lost your mind !! Coming in with this crap AND Miss my point by a Damn Grand Canyon ! OL I am very sorry about this drift OFF Topic here , That beautiful Boat you built and this plunge into V8's for some nonsense.

BTW Mikey1, I design and build Boats that these motors have to power, That said I have been thinking about a 38 foot inline 6 Boat with 2JZ Engines .

Let’s see firing in a V8 Cheby Crossplane ; 1 = L , 8 = R , 4 = R , 3 = L , 6 = R , 5 = L , 7 = L , 2 = R
Firing LRRLRLLR Banks , there is your sound now ,a flat plane like a Ferrari they alternate banks.

Mikey1, I have the solution to your power pulse Problem , How about a V8 Two stroke diesel ??

==
2JZGTE's and Cummins QSB's are good motors. If I had a choice I'd take a duramax or scorpion over the Cummins though.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Impressive!

Matt, do you know the displacement weight?
Thanks,
Dean
According to Mike Fiore, the 52 SL weighs 15,000 pounds, dry.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

==
"design and build boats" is not a mechanical engineering degree, and not a career in designing engines from the ground up.

So you think that the flat crank Ferrari engine is "balanced", while the 90* Chevy engine is not based on the firing order? Oh, boy.

"V8 Two stroke diesel" Already been done. Detroit Diesel 8V71.

I don't know much about designing and building boats. I'm not trained in it, and I never had a career in it. However, at least, I don't pretend to be an expert in it, and I don't get in arguments with people who's expertise is in that area. If someone wants to close their mind to someone with expertise, then it is their loss.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 05-06-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.