Diesel-Powered 52-foot Outerlimits Hits 94 mph >

Diesel-Powered 52-foot Outerlimits Hits 94 mph

Notices

Diesel-Powered 52-foot Outerlimits Hits 94 mph

Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
very cool, thanks for sharing..is that a sitting bow section up front with removable deck..like a bowrider...
Yes, full wrap around lounge.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
Yes, full wrap around lounge.
very cool...and different...probably get more use that way..especially if the owners have a family or many friends.....I always like these diesel projects..especially ones that can get decent speeds out of their hulls.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool to see diesels in fast boat, sabre marine did ok with merlins in early 80's, iveco and isotta-fraschini tried to create interset in the market also. the inlines allow acces and ease of maintenance on engine. a boat is like running and engine on dyno full time, thats why shortcuts lead to short life on engines. i would imagine this boat actually still has power in waiting. the newbies to diesels will be disappointed at lack of smoke. the cummins 4.2(mercruiser/VMMotori) pushes pretty good.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
Here's a picture of the bilge and the front bow section with the hatches installed.
Love the cover for the bow area! I just hope the captain is smart enough not to let passengers ride up there at speed on rough water... passenger catapult!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OL , Great Job , WAY Cool !
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Look at the Skater for sale with diesels, how long for sale, how much of a price slashing and it's still not sold? When an engine builder sees that or the Eliminator the diesels came out of why would they put $2 into building a higher Hp diesel for this market?
Are you talking about that 46' with Seatek's? If I only had the money...

I think the problem is, the diesel upgrades are very expensive, and often take a performance hit on top of it over a gas engine. The people who could appreciate the extra fuel economy of diesels, can't afford the diesel engines. The people who can afford the diesel engines, can afford not to care about fuel economy and more frequent engine rebuilds. It's a Catch 22.

With fuel prices skyrocketing, I think if they can ever get the price of diesel engines down, there would be a big market. I am sure they are more expensive to build, but are they "that" much more expensive to build? The prices are bit insane.

Michael
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered

Very cool boat. Any cabin and open bow shots?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Michael1 was referring to the skater V hull with Cummins in it.

The skater cat, who wants Seateks that the problem there?

Fuel ecomony doesn't matter, you don't buy performance diesels like a Seatek for milage, they drink diesel, they are not effecient like a Cummins or Yanmar.

The price is not the issue for diesel it's still performance and the sound.

Think about the videos posted on here of some Cigarette or Skater idleing around the docks or just go to YouTube it's full of videos like that - gas engines sound coollllll, diesels around the dock sound ***gy (not PC but hey who cares).

Performance - diesels can never run with the gas engines, how many people on here are obsessed with 1-5 mph faster - almost all of them. I ran both Gancia & Ebel, I know how Buzzi did it, the gas boats could always out run those boats in a drag race, it's about starting at a fast pace and maintaining it for 175 miles, make the gas boats try and keep up, they break or are so far behind they can't catch up - no secret, Buzzi had a great game plan and stuck to it no matter what the seas were - you have to love him.

Back to this OL, put this boat against 90% of the fastest boats on here and have a Miami-Nassau-Miaimi race or around LI and this boat will finish ahead of 90% of them that's what diesels are about - medium speeds and steady.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Think about the videos posted on here of some Cigarette or Skater idleing around the docks or just go to YouTube it's full of videos like that - gas engines sound coollllll, diesels around the dock sound ***gy (not PC but hey who cares).
I never was good at Wheel of Fortune, so I have no idea what this word is.

I hear what you are saying Joe. Personally, I would gladly give up a few mph, and change the soundtrack to save 30-40% in fuel costs, but that's me. Things in the West Coast are more spread out, and the gas costs are higher, too.

Michael