Notices

Lake George NY.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lake George NY.

I was told there is a 45 mph speed limit on the lake strictly enforced.Also running open exhaust is a problem.Anyone have any experience running on Lake George? Thanks...
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snopro13
I was told there is a 45 mph speed limit on the lake strictly enforced.Also running open exhaust is a problem.Anyone have any experience running on Lake George? Thanks...
You're correct on both. I live 20 minutes from LG and won't go there. Beautiful lake but they do not like performance boats.
I prefer the Great Sacandaga Lake. Very friendly to ALL types of boaters.
MY 2¢
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Lake George And there are 4 different branches of law enforcement on the water, and they are all competing
against each other for the revenue so you can make your own conclusion.

Sacandaga Schroon or Champlain are your best bets
Old 05-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Registered

Also you have to buy a permit, pay to launch (Most places) and if you want to use the Village docks they have "Parking Meters".

www.visitsacandaga.com

Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

as said... super nice village, lake, suburb, so on and so on... just don't go there with your boat...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been boating on the lake for over 10 years now. I run a 850 HP 90 mph 28'v hull with dry exhaust, idles at 110Db and set up like a race boat. I don’t get bothered much at all on the lake.... Why

1. If your boat is loud put exhaust on it..... When I’m on the lake I have turn down pipes I bolt on to my tail pipes that put the exhaust under water. The boat is as quite as an Bay Liner. But when on plane the exhaust comes out of the water and is loud. There is not much they can do about it. It’s impossible for them to do a drive by speed test to see how load your boat is in motion,..... and they know it. If you tell them you know the law and they don’t have a course set up to test you properly they usually will back down.

2. Don’t drive like a A hole on a holiday weekend , near shore or around other boats, Don’t race other boats. Don’t drive fast through the narrows. If you want to go fast head to the northern end or in the middle of the lake and you will be fine. Most patrol boats are in the southern end, the bays that are most busy, and along the shore line, or in the narrows. You can usually spot patrol boats in advance. They run small CC out boards.

LG lake George in my opinion is about one of the most beautiful lakes around and an awesome vacation destination with so much to offer. If you listen to what I said above you will have a great vacation weekend on LG. If you have to drive fast and show off .....then go to the lake Sacandaga reservoir. It’s also a nice lake and you won’t get harassed for driving fast, that’s why we have poker runs on it rather than LG. Also watch out for the rocks when the Sacandaga reservoir is low. Ask in advance how low the reservoir is before heading up. You don’t want to hit the stone walls under water by sand island. ……"In My Opinion Lake George has much, much, more to offer as a vacation destination than Sacandaga" there is a reason why it call the Queen of Americas lakes.

Come and join us on may 18 - 20 for the performance boat weekend. It an off shore race exhibition and car show sponsored by Performance Marine. It one of the only days participants can run dry pipe exhaust and run over 90 mph on a race course in LG village. It’s a Great weekend for boating enthusiast.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
I’ve been boating on the lake for over 10 years now. I run a 850 HP 90 mph 28'v hull with dry exhaust, idles at 110Db and set up like a race boat. I don’t get bothered much at all on the lake.... Why

1. If your boat is loud put exhaust on it..... When I’m on the lake I have turn down pipes I bolt on to my tail pipes that put the exhaust under water. The boat is as quite as an Bay Liner. But when on plane the exhaust comes out of the water and is loud. There is not much they can do about it. It’s impossible for them to do a drive by speed test to see how load your boat is in motion,..... and they know it. If you tell them you know the law and they don’t have a course set up to test you properly they usually will back down.

2. Don’t drive like a A hole on a holiday weekend , near shore or around other boats, Don’t race other boats. Don’t drive fast through the narrows. If you want to go fast head to the northern end or in the middle of the lake and you will be fine. Most patrol boats are in the southern end, the bays that are most busy, and along the shore line, or in the narrows. You can usually spot patrol boats in advance. They run small CC out boards.

LG lake George in my opinion is about one of the most beautiful lakes around and an awesome vacation destination with so much to offer. If you listen to what I said above you will have a great vacation weekend on LG. If you have to drive fast and show off .....then go to the lake Sacandaga reservoir. It’s also a nice lake and you won’t get harassed for driving fast, that’s why we have poker runs on it rather than LG. Also watch out for the rocks when the Sacandaga reservoir is low. Ask in advance how low the reservoir is before heading up. You don’t want to hit the stone walls under water by sand island. ……"In My Opinion Lake George has much, much, more to offer as a vacation destination than Sacandaga" there is a reason why it call the Queen of Americas lakes.

Come and join us on may 18 - 20 for the performance boat weekend. It an off shore race exhibition and car show sponsored by Performance Marine. It one of the only days participants can run dry pipe exhaust and run over 90 mph on a race course in LG village. It’s a Great weekend for boating enthusiast.
If I remember correctly, last years "Exhibition Race" they upped the 45 mph to 60 and allowed the loud exhaust..
Being a NYS taxpayer I still do not like the idea of paying to use the lake.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
If I remember correctly, last years "Exhibition Race" they upped the 45 mph to 60 and allowed the loud exhaust..
Being a NYS taxpayer I still do not like the idea of paying to use the lake.
I ran in the demo race last year. There were 3 speed groups-65, 75 & 85 mph. It's the only time I will bring my boat to LG as I have been kicked off the lake for noise in 3 different boats(we were not driving like a-holes). We have a vacation house up there too. Unfortunately don't get up there much in the summer because of the laws. Maybe one of these days I will get mufflers...
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Hot Boat on all points. Its one of the most beautiful places in the country and well worth the aggravation to me.

BTW - last year saw a much reduced enforcement presence due to budget cuts.

Also, I was in the demo run 2 years ago and can tell you we ran 3 classes. 60, 70, & 80+. The fastest boats were running over 100. This was only allowed on the course and normal rules applied to the rest of the lake.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
I agree with Hot Boat on all points. Its one of the most beautiful places in the country and well worth the aggravation to me.

BTW - last year saw a much reduced enforcement presence due to budget cuts.

Also, I was in the demo run 2 years ago and can tell you we ran 3 classes. 60, 70, & 80+. The fastest boats were running over 100. This was only allowed on the course and normal rules applied to the rest of the lake.
You coming back to our run this year?? Love that boat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.