Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Look What I found....  I hope it is covered under warranty... >

Look What I found.... I hope it is covered under warranty...

Notices

Look What I found.... I hope it is covered under warranty...

Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided to fix it myself. Why pay for freight (both ways) and have to wait for it, when they were mos likely to have fixed it the same way I did..... I will post some pics of the repair when I am on my PC (posting from iPhone right now). Repair went well and with any luck will have it sanded, body worked, primered, painted, and back on the boat tomorrow....
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered

So here are some shots of the repair..

Here is a pic of the area before any repair. As you can clearly see there is an epoxied repair just to the right of the leaking pin hole.

Here is a close up before repair, again it is very clear the factory ran across a similar problem before it was even painted...

Here is a shot of the area cleaned up. I opened up the hole slightly with a drill and then ground the surrounding area down to get a larger surface area for the epoxy.

Here is a pic of the repair before sanding the epoxy down.

Here is a pic of the finished repair (there is an area just below the repair that needed some cosmetic filling, so the glossy black area is fresh epoxt to fill a cosmetic flaw). I used the Grey Marine-Tex Epoxy. THis stuff dries slow and is like sanding concrete..... But it gets the job done...

Tomorrow I will do a skim coat of metal Glaze, prime and paint. Won't ever be able to tell there was a repair.............

Last edited by low_psi; 05-06-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered

Got the repair completed and the lower unit painted. I wish all boat repairs were this easy.....

I had already completly stripped the OE paint, so the black paint in the first pick is new primer. So I just sanded the entire case with 320 and then hit it with a coat of self-etching primer, then 2 coats of primer-filler, then sanded with 320 again to get it flat, then 3 coats of Dupli-color Engine Enamel.

What Leak?

Last edited by low_psi; 05-07-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I've had real good luck with that Duplicolor paint too.