Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My boat burnt up this weekend >

My boat burnt up this weekend

Notices

My boat burnt up this weekend

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, I got lucky in that I was hurt to bad. I only had some 2nd degree burns on my right arm and hand. Unfortunately, all the time and money I put in boat went up in smoke but like I said earlier it was my fault by making stupid mistake. New rule for me is any work done on the boat is to keep a fire extinquisher close by where it can reached easily. If I had a ext. close by I could have saved the boat. As far as the boats listed, I'm trying to stay with a Bravo type drive, no transmissions. Bromaquire I had seen your boat for sale right after I got mine and it looks really good but those are the same pics I saw 2 yrs ago, has anything changed on it? Whats your price without the motor and without the drive? Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still coming by this weekend sometime to look at the Cobra?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

I tried calling you Benny but went to voicemail and mailbox full. I'll try calling you later.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cdail28590
The fuel tank had a hole in it, I drained all the fuel and cut the floor to remove the tank. I removed the tank and there was still some fuel/vapor in the bottom and I went to drill a hole with a cordless drill and sparked it. My stupidity in what happened. I don't really want to go much past the mid 80's on year model. The Pantera is just to ugly for me with those colors. That Fountain would be nice but way to high for no motor and drive on a 18yr old boat. I liked my 24x7 boat but I'm open to all options.
my dad was restoring a cigarette one time and one of his workers forgot to hook up the fuel line so we pumped about 100 gallons into the boat thankfully my dad hooked up a switch so you can turn the bilge off or on and it was in the off position at the time we had to get a hose water down the fuel and inside of the boat and take the drain plug out
Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered

Back in the 90s i really liked the Checkmates and owned several Convincors, always thought the 25' had the best layout. I didn't do any hunting around, but thought you might add this to your list:

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/15671

Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered

I have an awsome Checkmate 253 convincer with lots of goodies, it will do almost 80 and it is the best bang for your buck as far as the cuddy for that size. We have been told so many tiome how much room we have for a 25 footer. Call me or email me if your interested in seegin it, I have tons of pics. 613 227 8912 or [email protected]
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdail28590
Well like the title states I had a accident this weekend and my 24' Python that I had done so much work to was destroyed in a fire. Luckily the motor, exhaust, outdrive, tabs, and platform are all salvagable and other than the motor you can't tell they were in a fire. I need some help from OSO in finding a good hull. This boat ran 74.7 but I had the prop labbed this winter and it should have gone 78 this year with the additional rpm's. I'm looking for a 23-30 single engine boat that I can drop a 500 hp motor in and run mid 70's or better. I saw the Cobra 27 listed but it doesn't really have a cabin and is missing some of the pleasure items the wife wants. I'm kinda looking at Velocity's or some sort of a cat boat. I don't want a Baja as they are all around where I run at. I'm not in a hurry for a boat since I have 2 others to ride but I just really want some recommendations on what boats I should be looking at to get that speed with my hp. I haven't decided on a price range since it will depend on what happens with my Python. My brands I was thinking about were 23 or 26 Velocity, 27 or 29 Fountain, 24 or 30 Superboat, 24 Pantera, 26 Eliminator, 24 HTM, Active Thunder, or another 24' Python.
I have a scarab excel 21 ready to go no power. Wife says it has to before new boat is purchased. 1991 hull in good shape all original. Red yellow and black paint. Shoot me a pm if interested.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Fire extinguishers are a good thing.
Just the other day I was getting a boat started after a new gas tank and fuel system was installed. Everything was dry and my smart a$$ decided to feed the carb with a jar of gas until the fuel pump brought gas through the system. Backfire through the carb caught the jar on fire just as I was in the process of jerking it away. Gas splashed on my hand and it was now on fire. Was going to throw the jar in the yard. It hit the hatch spring and fell back in the boat. I jump out (burning hand print left on the gunnel) put my hand out with the water coming from the hose that was feeding the motor and run for the big fire extinguisher (15 feet away). As I was coming back I noticed the whole motor box looked like someone just started a BBQ grill. Flames and smoke was a rollin. Dumped the whole thing in it (man they don't last long after you pull the trigger). Lucky enough most of it was just the fuel burning off and there was very little real damage. Lots of soot. Also luck enough that I waxed the boat the day before and the hand print just burned off the wax. I bet it wasn't 20 second from start to finish but it felt like a lifetime.
My hand has looked better but should be fine in a couple weeks. Nothing like when I set off a hundred sparklers at one time. That one started off with a "hold my beer" and finished with lots of pain for weeks.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

You were lucky. I understand about how quick it goes in such a short period of time. Thanks for the all the suggestions and boats. Luckily, I found a 22' Velocity that needed a little love but I got it for next to nothing. I should have the floor removed this week, tank pulled and inspected and then new floor will go down. My old motor will replace the stock 454 inj motor and I should be good to go and probably faster than I went with my Python.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

22 velocity is the best small beastie out there. big surprise that you are going right to the fuel tank before doing anything else. i was cranking one engine in my old hatteras by jumping solenoid with a screwdriver. fuel line wasn't hooked up. squirted nice shot of gas on my arm-hand just as sol sparked. man is it an uncomfortable feeling holding up your hand and seeing it on fire!! fortunately i only burned my hand up. it heals. boats don't. drove from wildwood back to philly with my hand hanging out the sunroof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.