Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Registered

May possibly live on a boat for a few years...

I am a physical therapist and am getting divorced. I have no kids and can take a job and travel which will result in a 50% pay raise, signing bonus, room and board stipend, etc.

I'm in my early 30s and my dream has always been to travel, live on a boat, and travel along the coast. I'd buy a motorcycle as I have ridden most of my life, carry it in the back of my truck to my next assignment, drop off the truck and ride the bike back to the boat, load the bike onto the boat, and then run the boat to the next marina. The boat would take the place of the mortgage and the marina fees would be more than covered by the living expenses stipend.

My first thought for a boat I could live on for a few years and hav fun entertaining is the Formula 40SS. Can you all relay any personal experiences of living on a boat and tell me what other boats I should be looking at?

Thanks a lot. I'm looking to start traveling in about 4 months once I have 2 years experience and will patiently look for the right boat around that time.
    Last edited by chris@uga; 05-12-2012 at 06:28 PM.

VIP Member VIP Member akaboatman's Avatar
    I  Voted
    Good luck. Sounds like fun. I would do it. Artie

Platinum Member Platinum Member mike tkach's Avatar
    My Boats:
    31 american offshore,38 fountain fever
    chris,it sounds like you have a plan,you are young,i say go for it.i hope the new job is in a place with a warm climate all year long,good luck and have fun.
    MIKE TKACH

Banned
    What a dream, not really feasible

My Boats:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbarberdds View Post
    What a dream, not really feasible
    why not?
    MIKE TKACH

Platinum Member Platinum Member TomFTM's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37 Outerlimits,33 Fountain,42 Searay,18 Searay,13 Boston Whaler
    I did it back in the early 90's on a 36 ft Uniflight aft cabin motor yacht for 4 yrs . Its was a alot of fun . I would get a boat bigger than the 40ss , the cabin space is to small and not enough storage for clothes and other things.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2003 Velocity 320
    When I was younger I had a similar itch; wanted to experience the vagabond lifestyle living on a boat for a while and then would switch and do the motorhome deal. Never happened so I'd say go for it while you can.

You may want to look at different style boats, since this will be your home you probably want something with separate living and sleeping area. Find something reasonable and bank as much of that mortgage money as possible to go towards your dream boat in a couple of years. I would love to have a Formula 370 or 400 to play on but don't think they would be a very good live aboard boat.

Maybe a 36-42 Luhrs, Ocean, or??? How about a 40' coach with one of the 24 x 7 boats behind it...back to my reality of " wish I had .........."

Go for it instead of later wishing you did,
    Rick

My Boats:
    i know a guy who lived on a 50 ft houseboat for 5 years,the marina he sliped it at lifted it to replace a prop,and one of the lifting straps broke,the boat fell to the concrete and cracked the hull beyond repair,so their ins co baught the boat.i think he would still live on that boat if not for this.
    MIKE TKACH

Banned
    Hard enough to stay on a 40ss for a weekend little alone years. Maybe if you had a 46 searay where u have a little room you could do it for a while, they have washer dryer etc.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Throttleman 36 Cig Gladiator "Unleashed"... Fast 33' Outlaw... Slow 40' Express Cruiser... 18' Kustom Cat... Pair of Kawasaki Ultra 150's... Superjet
    I  Voted
    Quote Originally Posted by chris@uga View Post
    I am a physical therapist and am getting divorced. I have no kids and can take a job and travel which will result in a 50% pay raise, signing bonus, room and board stipend, etc.

I'm in my early 30s and my dream has always been to travel, live on a boat, and travel along the coast. I'd buy a motorcycle as I have ridden most of my life, carry it in the back of my truck to my next assignment, drop off the truck and ride the bike back to the boat, load the bike onto the boat, and then run the boat to the next marina. The boat would take the place of the mortgage and the marina fees would be more than covered by the living expenses stipend.

My first thought for a boat I could live on for a few years and hav fun entertaining is the Formula 40SS. Can you all relay any personal experiences of living on a boat and tell me what other boats I should be looking at?

Thanks a lot. I'm looking to start traveling in about 4 months once I have 2 years experience and will patiently look for the right boat around that time.
    You will love it! Pm me....to much info to post!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast