Notices

outerlimits rolled?

Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokher Ace
What a shame, here is a pic from the news link. Looks to be ok
From a common sense angle, this step pattern looks a little agressive to me. The pivot point is pretty far forward if it starts to slide. I'd get rid of the most forward step.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
I would remind everyone that AquaMania went over in the Key West harbor from a combination of factors that came together at just the wrong time. I don't think anyone who has driven a 50ft Mystic* will tell you it has bad handling tendencies.

*disclaimer: I am not in this group.
Jay. Remember, The Guy who built the boat was at the Controls that day it Can (and Does) Happen to Anybody.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading the news article and what was posted here I assume the scenario was a tab was down and the indicator didn't show the position it was actually in. The driver started a turn and the boat got upset and spun/rolled tossin both occupants in the water. No fault of the boat or its design or the driver.

Pretty simple if a port tab is down and you start a turn to port it will add lift to the transom and the hull can pivot. OL has been around the block a few times and they know their chit when it comes to designing a hull. Awesome 29 and I wish I could afford one...
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 737 Likes on 332 Posts
Where were all you when Audi experienced their sudden uncontrolled acceleration episodes ?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Where were all you when Audi experienced their sudden uncontrolled acceleration episodes ?
I'm a neophyte at these matters, but in general:
Laughing at the bogus results, followed by the report that showed each and every case it was an automatic transmission, and driver error. In every single instance, not a single person that witnessed any of the events ever saw a break light. Very similar to the Toyota report that was finished, showing no mechanical problems. The Audi 5000 had limited problems then.

I doubt this particular instance was operator error, but it does happen. There are countless examples of performance boats flipping and/or ejecting occupants, and from a wide variety of boat brands and sizes, both single and double engines. There's a lot of funny You Tube videos of things like the Russian Cigarette that ejected its occupants at fairly low speed.

I know for sure that if I run my 22' stinkpot at 50 plus mph over 3-4' seas, eventually, the transom will hit hard, projecting the bow into the next wave. Nobody ever told me this, I just know it. If I had a tab lower than I thought it was, it would just happen quicker.

Boating can be dangerous at any speed. I'm sure this is embarrassing to OL, but I expect at some point, they will offer an explanation if pushed. It sounds like an explanation has already been given, just not formal.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
“We weren’t going very fast,” Mr. Makepeace said, as he was being tended to by medical personnel. “We just kind of caught a wave.”

http://www.eastbayri.com/news/2012/may/15/boat-flip/

I think the tab indicator malfunction is a convenient excuse. A light single engine boat like that you should be able to know were the tabs are blindfolded.
Yep!!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Registered

Agreed ...and if you are going for a speed run , why are you using tabs?????
Old 05-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore9
Agreed ...and if you are going for a speed run , why are you using tabs?????
Where does it say they were going for a speed run?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Sbarberdds
I think they have only built 2 of these, im sure they are going to suspend any sales until they have things worked out, now that this is public info they will not want any liability with these 29's, impositive mike will make sure there are no design issues before he sells any more
What makes you say it's a design issue? Do you know that they're suspending sales or are you making this sh!t up?

Why are you people making sh!t up?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Indy;

Why are you people making sh!t up?[/QUOTE]

Jealousy? Hatred? Either way it just adds negativity...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.