Notices

Green as Hell

Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Green as Hell

I hate to sound like am idiot, but for some reason I'm nervous as hell when putting in or hauling out of the water.

This is my first boat (28ZX) - we had it in the water 6 - 7 times last year without any of what I'm experiencing now! Dont really have any trouble on or off the trailer, but the anxiety level is incredibly high!

Do I need to pop a couple of queludes or what???
Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Shag555
I hate to sound like am idiot, but for some reason I'm nervous as hell when putting in or hauling out of the water.

This is my first boat (28ZX) - we had it in the water 6 - 7 times last year without any of what I'm experiencing now! Dont really have any trouble on or off the trailer, but the anxiety level is incredibly high!

Do I need to pop a couple of queludes or what???
My best advice is to take your time and establish a mental checklist of things to do. The times i screwed up at a ramp are usually my fault for being in a hurry.
ed
Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered

Default Slower is faster!

Interceptor +1 x 10 cubed

Don't worry about it. I have been boating for years and years. And I still have small anxiety attacks from time to time. More so on a strange ramp or if there is an audience.

Ever notice the guys in a big hurry and acting all cocky and arrogant are the ones that make the mistakes?

Often slower is faster!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

What they said; good advice.

Better advice if you listen!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

+1

I dont know why newbies or recreational boaters try to park a boat like a car. I've seen some people come in at darn near 10 MPH. (BTW - I am not referring to you)

Relax and ease the shifter in and out of Drive/Neutral/Reverse to get the boat directed as easily and slowly as possible in your desired direction. A friend of mine once said "Think of it as brain surgery in slow motion" Slow and precise...

Take your time, relax and enjoy the experience. Dont worry about the dip chitz at the ramp, its your boat and your wallet if you scratch the gelcoat.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

pop a couple of ludes. mebbe some oxy. wash it down with half a keg of beer. you'll screw up huge, but you won't care...or remember!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

there are only two scenarios where you need to be nervous
1) you are sinking
2) you are on fire

everything else can be delt with by taking you time and paying attention, remember even if you have to make several tries to get on the trailer without damaging you still had a great day on the water.
and if someone is getting frustrated that you are taking your time just remember you dont know any of them so who cares what they think.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered

I agree as well with everyone. Goes for everything in life as well. Whether I am drag racing, or boating, or going out in sector in a hostile environment, take your time, relax and think things through. You will do fine. Oh, and dont approach the dock faster than you are willing to hit the dock. I think about that every time I come in to dock lol.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Registered

Default There is a third and maybe more freightening!

compedgemarine said "there are only two scenarios where you need to be nervous"
1) you are sinking
2) you are on fire

3) Seeing these guys coming to save the day
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...lls-sinks.html

Last edited by Florida Floater; 05-19-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: wrong key
Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the advise guys! Any words of wisdom for what the wifey can help with? She's not the most mechanically inclined gal, and, if I let her back the boat in while I'm at the helm, I'm afraid she'd float both boat and Tahoe!

No, seriously, She and I am complete ameratures and I'd like her, and even the kids to help more, but where do I start without getting in too deep and causing damage to the boat or flooding the Tahoe? I have a great friend that was asked to set anchor, so he did... But didnt tie off after tossing in (no, not my boat!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.