Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
wind Deflecters, anyone built their own?? >

wind Deflecters, anyone built their own??

Notices

wind Deflecters, anyone built their own??

Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the ones on the newer Sunsations. I wish I knew where to get that style mount.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Any..

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
I love the ones on the newer Sunsations. I wish I knew where to get that style mount.
pix's you could share??? I have the plexiglass but the design is still in my head.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
They rigid mount w/thumb screws. They do have two different style mounting brackets though so you have a choice of two angles depending on windshield angle.
One of my *****es is having to remove/install them every time you use them and then store them w/o getting them all scratched up. Most mooring covers will not fit w/them on.
Thanks for the info. It wasn't clear on their site.

Is there another alternative to the Wind Aways that adjust? I've looked and searched with no luck.

Do you have some Wind Aways you want to get rid of?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Thanks to a member on this board I just ordered hinges for mine. Should be perfect for what I am doing. I'll post pix's when they're done/installed.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Here's my versions installed. Adjustable friction hinges and 9" X 24" deflectors.
I really like how they came out. Haven't run the boat yet to see if the hinges are strong enough to hold them in the up position but I've got some tricks up my sleeve if not. I used 4 hinges per deflector too so I should be fine. W/them folded down you don't even notice them on the boat. The shot in the up position is an optical illusion. They don't look near that big. They are the same height as the Wind Aways.
In the down position you don't even notice them from the cockpit.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Here's my versions installed. Adjustable friction hinges and 9" X 24" deflectors.
Where did you find these parts at, to build these? Did you have the wind screens cut and then buy the hinges locally?

Originally Posted by Twin O/B
Haven't run the boat yet to see if the hinges are strong enough to hold them in the up position but I've got some tricks up my sleeve if not.
If these do give you problems staying up, while underway, what kind of tricks do you have planned to hold them up?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Registered

Default MSC Industrail Supply.

Originally Posted by Justin
Where did you find these parts at, to build these? Did you have the wind screens cut and then buy the hinges locally?

If these do give you problems staying up, while underway, what kind of tricks do you have planned to hold them up?
Go to mscdirect.com
I think I've got $100. in everything. I bought one 1/4" piece of plexiglass 24" square and 8 friction hinges.
Used a regular circular saw (table saw is better but my neighbor has mine) to cut it down to two 9" X 24" pieces w/4 hinges on each.
The plastic cuts about like plywood as long as keep it stable while cutting. I cleaned the edges up w/a long board and various grits of sand paper and radioused the corners w/a sanding disc on/my 4" grinder.
I bought grommets locally to use as bushings in the bolt holes in the plexi to help prevent cracking.
The hinges have an adjuster screw for tension. If they won't stay put at the highest setting I'll disassemble the hinges and then scuff the pins to add friction to them. Sorta teeth.

They make two different size hinges as well. Me being the skin flint, I of course bought the cheap ones. If they don't work the other version are twice the size (and money) so we'll see

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you know which to choose? Acrylic, Plexiglass or Polycarbonate? Looks like you can get polycarbonate up to 1" thick.

they really look good btw.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered

Default Polycarbonate because...

Originally Posted by Payton
How did you know which to choose? Acrylic, Plexiglass or Polycarbonate? Looks like you can get polycarbonate up to 1" thick.

they really look good btw.
as already stated, I'm a skin flint and it's cheap I think the cheap acyrilc from Home depot would work fine also. It's not really going to be under any load to speak of and 90% of issues w/a project like this is poor mounting. You ever see the old boat windshields all cracked at the mounting holes?? the cheap boats are flexing at the deck/windshield joint but the rest is from poor installation.
And thanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Twin, thanks for all the info!

I would much rather have something I can fold down. I still don't want them to be permanent, though (mostly because of my cockpit cover). So I'm going to have to find something that clamps on my windscreen like the Wind Aways, but that has a hinge.

The search continues. :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.