Passenger Liability Waiver? >

Passenger Liability Waiver?

Notices

Passenger Liability Waiver?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Close friends or not doesn't always make a difference.

One of my close friends sued me for 3.8 million for an accident we had in my boat.
And he was steering.

It went nowhere after 6 years of hearings but it got him off my Christmas card list.
Some friend. Unbelievable.

I still don't understand how some people do what they do.
The thought of litigation wouldn't have even entered my head.
Personally I would have just been honoured to be given an offer to drive and appreciative for the ride.

The world is going backwards at an astounding rate!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 40gt

Sometimes it's the insurance company, they act regardless of their client's desires. Not saying this is the case with Cat, but I've seen it happen.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't give rides anymore for the reasons stated in previous posts. We loose one or two people on my lake every year to stupidity and booze. If I'm not sleeping with the girl she ain't riding in or on anything I own period. I wouldn't recommend it to you either with or without wavier. As someone stated the waiver would only be worth wiping your ass with. A good lawyer would eat you up in court waiver or not.

P.S. No lawyer male or female will ever ride in my boat. Hell! I have refused to date a lawyer!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is the reality:

No matter what we do, we can get sued.

That said, you have to run the boat at the comfort level and skill level of the weakest/newest person on the boat.

I have been nearly tossed a few times racing and running in other people's boats.
When racing, I accepted that risk but I should not expect that when I am a passenger on a pleasure boat.
Yes, I have a responsibility to hold on. But, a passenger standing or sitting, especially unbolstered, is as much the responsibility of the driver as the passenger.

I have a couple of friends who have spent years running with me and know and accept the consequences of running all out. I have no problem running hard with them.
When I have friends and family on board, I will never push the boat hard, especially if it someone new on the boat. I have run the 60mph class in poker runs with a "green" crew and you know what, it was great!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy had a drunk girl fall and break out her tooth on the windshield going fairly slow over a big wave. I guess it just scares me but if they are a waste then I won't do it. I do have the umbrella already. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had several friends sued for accidents that wern't their fault ex.( being run over by a pontoon in a 25 motion) for one example. i take the neighbors kids for a ride every so often, but, as Tom stated never all out. I enjoy running my cat at speed in rough water. i can't afford to break something every weekend so I will generally run at 80 mph and enjoy the heck out of it. Boating for me has become a way to get away from the girls, drunks with boating problems and the stresses of the day. Generally the girls tend to be more trouble than their worth. In the boat that is.....
Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

A waiver isn't going to keep you from getting sued, just make sure you have good insurance and go have fun.

An umbrella is always a good idea but with the some boats they will be excluded.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 40gt

Personally I would have just been honoured to be given an offer to drive and appreciative for the ride.

The world is going backwards at an astounding rate!
Yep
When i had the accident with the Ferrari my wifes uncle got $500k for a broken leg.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is absolutely no way to definitively protect yourself. You set up as many walls as possible for those who may be inclined to sue. These barriers may range from putting the boat in an LLC with zero assets other than the boat to having people sign the most over the top, in your face waiver ever drafted. People will still sue but its one more barrier for the plaintiff's attorney to jump to get to your personal insurance and umbrella.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to an attorney I know and he said I will have to get out on your boat this summer. I said sort of as a joke that I will need a waiver signed. His response was " I will sign a 30 page waiver....and then I will have it thrown out before you can say out of court settlement" Those were his exact words. We were kinda kidding around, but honestly a waiver means nothing and can be argued that you knew before hand that there was risk involved because you asked for it.

I am very selective of who goes on my boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.