Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Registered
    My Boats:
    2005 Baja 25 Outlaw SST

Question Passenger Liability Waiver?

So I got to thinking, we only usually allow close friends to boat with us. In June we are going to LOTO for the Support Our Troops Poker Run. My friend wants to bring a girl he just met out on the boat with us and my wife and I have never met her. Besides the insurance I was thinking about having my attorney draft up some sort of waiver for her or other passengers that I don't know too well to sign. Is this silly or a good idea? It seems that I have quite a bit at stake and boating is dangerous...Maybe I worry too much.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1999 28Skater, 2008 300XS: 28 Pantera Race 6 pax, 10 meter Fountain
    Quote Originally Posted by cmkworm View Post
    So I got to thinking, we only usually allow close friends to boat with us. In June we are going to LOTO for the Support Our Troops Poker Run. My friend wants to bring a girl he just met out on the boat with us and my wife and I have never met her. Besides the insurance I was thinking about having my attorney draft up some sort of waiver for her or other passengers that I don't know too well to sign. Is this silly or a good idea? It seems that I have quite a bit at stake and boating is dangerous...Maybe I worry too much.
    It better be a Damn good waiver to actually work, if you have that kind of doubt, Don't Take Them!!!

Registered
    I was in a boating wreck last year,went to the ins company to get more ins coverage on passagers but i already have the max they offer and that will not cover a full day in the hospital.From here out when other people are with us there will be no higher speeds . Also my health ins company gave me a hard time about covering it.

VIP Member VIP Member Catastrophe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshoresteve View Post
    It better be a Damn good waiver to actually work, if you have that kind of doubt, Don't Take Them!!!
    Close friends or not doesn't always make a difference.

One of my close friends sued me for 3.8 million for an accident we had in my boat.
    And he was steering.

It went nowhere after 6 years of hearings but it got him off my Christmas card list.
    WAR DOESN'T DETERMINE WHO IS RIGHT---ONLY WHO IS LEFT

Registered
    My Boats:
    Sonic 1990 30SS

Wow sad

It is sad that we even have to think about this subject....what would happen if we all put a sticker in clear view that said "RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK"...IMO unless you are charging people for rides they are volunteering to come aboard and shouldn't have any right to sue your ass if an acident occurs....but that ain't todays. Real world

Registered
    My Boats:
    22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC
    in the real world, liability waivers are nothing more than pretty pieces of paper.

My Boats:
    Boatless... Damn...
    Happened to a friend if mine also. Someone he didn't know went out with him and they took a wave hard, she fell in the boat because she didn't know how to absorb tr impact with her legs, etc. she sued him for pain and suffering.. Little over a year later she got nothing and he had legal bills.

Member #154 Platinum Member Indy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Missing my PowerPlay
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    in the real world, liability waivers are nothing more than pretty pieces of paper.
    Not true, you can use them as wipes.

Save your $.001 and don't waste your time. Lawyers & legislators have made it so you can't do anything anymore without the threat of financial ruin...at their profit.

My Boats:
    37 Active Thunder, 20 Spectra jet, 17 Speedliner cat outboard
    Quote Originally Posted by fasthawk6 View Post
    I was in a boating wreck last year,went to the ins company to get more ins coverage on passagers but i already have the max they offer and that will not cover a full day in the hospital...
    Personal Liability Umbrella Policy also called PLUB or PLUP.

I would not go boating without it. Ask your insurance carrier, and do a search here on OSO.
    Brian @ activethunderboats . com

Registered
    you can pick up cheap ins. at homedepot.

1. 50' of rope
    2. concrete blocks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast