Like Tree0Likes

Passenger Liability Waiver?

Reply
Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
My Boats: 2005 Baja 25 Outlaw SST
Posts: 93
Question Passenger Liability Waiver?

So I got to thinking, we only usually allow close friends to boat with us. In June we are going to LOTO for the Support Our Troops Poker Run. My friend wants to bring a girl he just met out on the boat with us and my wife and I have never met her. Besides the insurance I was thinking about having my attorney draft up some sort of waiver for her or other passengers that I don't know too well to sign. Is this silly or a good idea? It seems that I have quite a bit at stake and boating is dangerous...Maybe I worry too much.
cmkworm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 AM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Atlanta / Ft. Myers Fl.
My Boats: Currently 2004 36Skater Classic 1000hp PSI ,"Color Me Bad" ___ Prior boats 1999 28Skater, 2008 300XS: 28 Pantera Race 6 pax, 10 meter Fountain
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkworm View Post
So I got to thinking, we only usually allow close friends to boat with us. In June we are going to LOTO for the Support Our Troops Poker Run. My friend wants to bring a girl he just met out on the boat with us and my wife and I have never met her. Besides the insurance I was thinking about having my attorney draft up some sort of waiver for her or other passengers that I don't know too well to sign. Is this silly or a good idea? It seems that I have quite a bit at stake and boating is dangerous...Maybe I worry too much.
It better be a Damn good waiver to actually work, if you have that kind of doubt, Don't Take Them!!!
offshoresteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 AM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cincinnati , Oh
My Boats: 2008 32 Sunsation SSR
Posts: 197
Default

I was in a boating wreck last year,went to the ins company to get more ins coverage on passagers but i already have the max they offer and that will not cover a full day in the hospital.From here out when other people are with us there will be no higher speeds . Also my health ins company gave me a hard time about covering it.
fasthawk6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 AM
  #4
Registered
 
Catastrophe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoresteve View Post
It better be a Damn good waiver to actually work, if you have that kind of doubt, Don't Take Them!!!
Close friends or not doesn't always make a difference.

One of my close friends sued me for 3.8 million for an accident we had in my boat.
And he was steering.

It went nowhere after 6 years of hearings but it got him off my Christmas card list.
Catastrophe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 AM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Williamsport Pa
My Boats: Sonic 1990 30SS
Posts: 40
Default Wow sad

It is sad that we even have to think about this subject....what would happen if we all put a sticker in clear view that said "RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK"...IMO unless you are charging people for rides they are volunteering to come aboard and shouldn't have any right to sue your ass if an acident occurs....but that ain't todays. Real world
aroraborialis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 AM
  #6
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
phragle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toledo Oh
My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC
Posts: 8,529
Default

in the real world, liability waivers are nothing more than pretty pieces of paper.
phragle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 AM
  #7
Moderator
Gold Member
 
ChrisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando
My Boats: Boatless... Damn...
Posts: 4,477
Default

Happened to a friend if mine also. Someone he didn't know went out with him and they took a wave hard, she fell in the boat because she didn't know how to absorb tr impact with her legs, etc. she sued him for pain and suffering.. Little over a year later she got nothing and he had legal bills.
ChrisK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM
  #8
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phragle View Post
in the real world, liability waivers are nothing more than pretty pieces of paper.
Not true, you can use them as wipes.

Save your $.001 and don't waste your time. Lawyers & legislators have made it so you can't do anything anymore without the threat of financial ruin...at their profit.
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 AM
  #9
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.
Posts: 21,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthawk6 View Post
I was in a boating wreck last year,went to the ins company to get more ins coverage on passagers but i already have the max they offer and that will not cover a full day in the hospital...
Personal Liability Umbrella Policy also called PLUB or PLUP.

I would not go boating without it. Ask your insurance carrier, and do a search here on OSO.
Sydwayz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 701
Default

you can pick up cheap ins. at homedepot.

1. 50' of rope
2. concrete blocks
skaterdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.