Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sarasota SBI (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27713-sarasota-sbi.html)

xtremeracingf1 06-30-2002 04:07 PM

Sarasota SBI

Show of hands if you plan on being in Sarasota for the SBI race.We hope to see alot of our friends from OSO!

gmhdfan 06-30-2002 06:04 PM

It's been a tradition for us to spend the 4th in Sarasota. But it looks like this year will be different. I am afraid to make plans for Sarasota because of the lack of boats that might show up. The Savannah race is to new to know if it's worth going to? So I guess we will just go to Daytona for the Firecracker 400 (or what ever they call it now) My wife gets the red carpet corporate deal and we always past on them so we could go to the boat races. I did go to the first 400 night race in 1998 but that was only because it was postponed until October because of the fires we were having here in Fl during July. I wish the best to APBA in Savannah but I think they really missed the boat (pun intended) by losing the Sarasota race site. I hope both sites have good weather and safe racing. Isn't Sarasota a RSVP race or is that just a code word for SBI?:)

Magicfloat 06-30-2002 06:53 PM

Karen and I have spent the 4th of July in Sarasoto for more years than I can remember. We will be in Savannah this year. Always loved Sarasota,will miss it,but am told Savannah is also a wonderful place to be,looking forward to a nice getaway and good racing.

gmhdfan 06-30-2002 08:04 PM

Too Old, you are probable right (as usual:) ) But I,m old school and when something works DON"T MESS WITH IT!! Now if I had to explain to you about Sarasota and the 4th of July, you probable wouldn't understand.:cool: Savannah sounds like a great race site. But to trade Sarasota for Savannah:confused: :confused: Time will tell. I just hope that enough boats show up in Sarasota for all the people that don't know any better and are planing on seeing boat racing. Are there still rooms available in Savannah? Because I KNOW there never was any in the Sarasota area. Hope everyone has a great and a safe time in Savannah.

xtremeracingf1 06-30-2002 08:26 PM

We should have a good turn out,we had a great turn out in Marathon.SBI did a great job with the race course,going under the bridge. It was a wonderful place to view the race from,and it was packed wall to wall.It was a different course then APBA ran,and looking foward to the same in Sarasota....

GatorDave 07-01-2002 08:30 AM

I've been going to Sarasota for the last 10 years or so. I don't plan on changing this year even though Savannah is closer to home. I really wish the two races were on different weekends so that I could attend both!

CigDaze 07-01-2002 08:43 AM

Personally, after the marathon turnout I'd be hesitant to book a date for Sarasota.

Besides, I think Sarasota is a terrible place for visiting race fans. (This is personal opinion only, so don't jump on me...)

Since, we live very close we don't spend the night there, just drive there and drive back the same day. Sarasota is one of the most inhospitable beaches I've ever seen or been to. If you have a waterfront hotel room, you're okay, but for the day-tripper, it just plain sucks. We walked five miles in both directions, from race center last year and couldn't find a single beach bar, not one pisser, not even a damn vending machine for a soda--nothing but "no tresspassing" and "guests only" signs. There was no place to get out of the thunderstorms, and when we did find a small umbrella to hide under, we were told to leave because we weren't hotel guests. FUGG 'EM....Those old people can have their stuck-up beach!!!

DPT MOTORSPORTS 07-02-2002 12:24 AM

I am very proud and happy to say that the #71 Shockwave Offshore Racing Team will be making it's long awaited debut in Sarasota, FL (SBI) this coming weekend. Been alot of work getting the new bot ready for battle with the contenders in the Super V class. We are looking very forward to being in Sarasota with the rest of the fleet.
See you all next weekend!!!!!!!!!

Clackster 07-02-2002 08:30 AM

We pick and choose or races carefuly.The Sarasota venue fits our team,combination and have had good results.

New to SBI Competition,
Hope to have a good time
Clack P2-7

Roger 07-02-2002 09:29 AM

Clackster, Welcome to SBI, I think you will find everyone friendly and helpful if you need anything. Stop by the Invensys boat and say Hi. Shockwave, we have missed seeing you and hope everything is ready to go at Sarasota. See ya Friday