Notices

Running vs Scrubbing

Old 07-20-2002, 10:07 AM
Gumbydammit

Default Running vs Scrubbing

Hmm, How to put this.................

Talking to a friend who thinks that I don't keep my boat clean enough....... so I say:

"Yep, sand in the carpet. Yep, seats are not perfect. Yep, swimdeck dirty with footprints from major traffic, but I think you spend more time cleaning your boat than you do USING your boat." He and his wife laughed when I said that. (As they polished the thing in the launch parking area while everyone else is getting in the water.........)

So, I timed it. Use to clean ratio is not even. Not even close! I would say the boat gets cleaned three times as much as it gets used. OOPS! there is a rusty spot on my intake?? It MUST be taken off and repainted...
Never mind that I subject the guts of the motor to a ton of debris by doing a job that is for nothing more than looks....cant have that rusty spot there......even if it ruins the engine....I know, I will take the motor OUT so I can turn it on the engine stand so that no crappies get in there...!

(Do you see the kind of mentality I am talking about?)

When you modify motors/drives and make a racer, your time of maintenance will exceed your run time....but that is a racer!
This person is under the deck with a friggin toothbrush while I am out burning fuel and the boat is bone-STOCK!

So here are the questions:

1. How many hours on average do you spend cleaning/maintaining your boat vs. using your boat.

2. Would you pull a perfectly sealed intake to get rid of a surface rust spot the size of a quarter?

Audiofn:you dont count..heh....those are "restoration hours"

Old 07-20-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I don't spend enough time cleaning, however, I do spend more time cleaning than running. The problem is it's the fiberglass equivilent of a magnet for dirt and grime.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh, another person that washes their boat BEFORE they go out. And I thought I was the only one. Usually my friends are going "are we ready?" and I am like "hang on I just have to wash it quick", but it's usually just a quick washdown...
Old 07-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, I clean my boat before I take it out for the day. Clean it when home as well.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's 1230pm here and I'm going to wash off the boat , take off the cover and throw it over the clothes line and go boatin' . When I pull it out at the ramp..it gets wiped down real quick before I leave and washed when I get home. Now tomorrow it won't get wash , since it was just done today. But after it sits all week there always black streaks on it.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

I trailer my boat, so it is always clean for the most part, and I always make my friends clean it real good before we leave. They will start arriving, and I'll give one a scrub brush, another a towel to wipe down everything, and then when we got out to a raft up, I an notorious for scrubbing the transom, drives, sides and bottom, but That really doesnt take away any time from the fun, everyone is still right around me bs'in and having fun, telling me I missed a spot, ect... I try to keep it like new, and it you live by that it always will look like new. I wax the top every two weeks, and the sides every six weeks, but when I pull it out of the water, I go back to the parking area and I always hand everyone a towel and tell them to wipe down the sides, and transom and drives. I stay inside the boat and pick up beer cans, grab things everyone forgot, wipe the deck dash, and seats off and make sure everything is clean, then put the cover on. Then it's ready to go next time, minus a quick rinse of the dust on it. The clean up after boating is key to me, it takes about 5 minutes with two others helping.

I dont think that spot on your intake is anything to lose any sleep over, sounds like you and your friend may have different ways of doing things. Maybee he's just a clean freak, pick yourself up a pair of white gloves, and inspect his boat, and be sure to let him know his didn't pass the white glove test either...
Old 07-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Take the intake off a perfectly running motor just because it has a "small" rust spot on it? Steel intake?? Mine have all been aluminum. Hmmm.... Anyway, during the season, taking the intake off seems asanine to me. A little sand paper, two small cups, one with a small amount of primer, one with a small amount of the correct color paint, and two small detail brushes and it's done in 2 hours. Sand it, clean it, prime it. Have a beer or two. Then paint it and be done till the "off season" when work like that SHOULD be done.

And I KNOW I spend more time boating than cleaning. My girlfriend does a lot of the cleaning while we are in the slip or rafted up. She gets bored with all the guys talking boats and "stuff" so she just cleans. As for the deck, transom, and sides, I wash before I leave for the lake, towel off at the ramp, and wash again before I leave for the next weekend. If I'm in the water for a few days, I'll jump in on Lake Michigan with a brush and get the scum line off. But only if the water is warm. Otherwise I put the handle on it and get what I can from IN the boat.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:16 PM
Registered

I would rather be boating than cleaning... but a washdown before going and a good cleanup when getting home is a must....wax when i feel it is needed
Old 07-20-2002, 09:03 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

On a average when I had a boat that ran ( two years ago) I would clean it for 2-3 hours on Monday after a good week out. Then I would go through it again for a about a hour every time I would go out to make sure it was all vacuumed, armoralled (SP?) , and a quick wash for that day. It was like clock work. If you maintain it goes a lot easier.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:10 PM
Banned

Hmmm, let see. Today we were on the water for 10 hours, spent 45 minutes rinsing trailer, sides, and flushing the engines. A bit misleading, as I plan on washing and waxing tomorrow. Got enough sun today. Ran 90 miles.

Quick Reply: Running vs Scrubbing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.