Image of the Week: Too Close for Comfort

Notices

Image of the Week: Too Close for Comfort

Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,206 Posts
Default Image of the Week: Too Close for Comfort

One false move and, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...r-comfort.html.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

LOL. I heard about this one! The boat belonged to a friend of mine and he had sold it to a younger guy from Conneticut. I believe that the guy had a "panic situation" while attempting to leave Gilbert's. The current and inexperience just got the best of him.

It's happened to all of us that own a boat.....just most likely (or hopefully) not with 200 powerboating enthusiast's and a handful of photogs around!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, a little embarrassing I'm sure but hey it happens.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, it was my boat he was attempting to mount. He lost reverse and panicked . Everyone was yelling for him to kill the engines but he kept throttling . Few scratches but they buffed out. We've all been in those oh crap situations.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

As I heard it from someone who watched it happen, he grabbed the sticks instead of the shifters, and it went up between the outboards of the two boats. Sounds like it may have just popped AT's boat.

Its happened to all of us. I agree with Craig; it sucks that hit happened in front of 200+ "experts."

I remember my worst close call: I was climbing up onto my bow while boating alone to navigate into a covered slip in my former single engine boat. The wind had ahold of me and I was in a rush. I was carrying a line, and it inadvertently looped around the throttle, and it pulled the throttle forward. I am very fotunate that it did not grab the gear shift as well. That would have been a real bad one.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i was right there next to sharkey and my wife and i saw the whole thing, the guy said the shifters stuck in forward, but personally i think he got the throttes and shifters confused in a panic. he kept pulling back on the trottles and saying "it wownt shift". it seamed like it took 5 minutes for him to climb up the back of that CC, it was slow motion. not much damage was done, but he went back north after that, i think he was a little embaresed - is all good, we have all done it, it was very nice to see, that no one over reacted or yelled at him, classy on everyones part
Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Been there done that. Going for forward but did the throttle. With the shift effort usually required, the engines got some serious neutral RPM's.
Ever get done driving a stick shift, hop in an auto and go for the clutch. Brake check!
A friend dropped anchor. It wasn't attatched to his boat.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Tango
Lol, it was my boat he was attempting to mount. He lost reverse and panicked . Everyone was yelling for him to kill the engines but he kept throttling . Few scratches but they buffed out. We've all been in those oh crap situations.
I thought you guys would get a kick out of the photo (and it's Thursday, which is like Friday, so why not have fun) but I'm especially pleased you did, Alpha Tango.

You have a great attitude about the whole thing. If more people had your attitude, there's be a whole lot less litigation.

Attaboy!

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

First time I ever met Larry Goldman I was standing on the dock at Turnberry in Miami, He pulled up in a small boat (similar to a 16' Donzi) it had electric shift, he was pulling head in to a slip, I guess Neutral or reverse didn't work cause he went right under the dock and hit the ground on the other side, He Was pushing the buttons but nothing would work.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
it seamed like it took 5 minutes for him to climb up the back of that CC, it was slow motion.
Yes it sure seemed that way.
Just checking the time stamps on all 39 images and from image 1 to image 39 was a little over 2 minutes ...

The whole raft up was pushed to what seemed like a 45 degree angle to the dock. Fortunately no injuries and when I spoke to someone down in Islamorada they said there was no damage. Perhaps at least to their boat.

Happy to hear it was something as simple as a rub out on what was probably the cowling.

Perhaps a lesson learned to just kill the engines should something like it happen in the future.

I would venture to say it was fortunate so many people were there because it was all man & woman power that kept the boat off the engines... It could have been so much worse ...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.