Notices

Robby Woods 32 Skater....

Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most insurance Co. require Cat experience .
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my first though,insurance may be impossible on a cat with no hours.My daughters boyfriend builds and races trucks locally and went out with us and he was amazed at how different the marine world is from the truck world.If the project works out take it slow,there are no seatbelts or roll cages.I have been ejected from an 18 footer at about 45mph with no vest and am lucky to be typing this 25 years later,you don't want that under your belt.Good luck with it.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pasquesi
Ok, so you're Robby Woods, the Lucas oil offroad truck team driver?

Sorry if I'm sceptical, but the amount of posing that goes on around here is incredible.
That's me as you may know although it's growing and we can do ok financially through Racing and the TV package... Off road racing Ist going to put me on Forbes list anytime soon. I really look forward to building a boat with our flare, I think it will be rad. If you have any advice beyond the forum email me [email protected]
Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
If you do a search on the topics you have mentioned, there will be a ton of information found.
Big cubes are very unusual in our boats because there are cheaper ways of getting the same horsepower. There are a number of them out there but rare.
I'm not trying to be negative, but there are multiple ways you can make mistakes that will cause a meltdown or more seriously a crash due to mechanical rigging issues.
I'm sure your shop is top notch, but if you actually want to enjoy the boat seriously consider getting some reputable experienced help with it. There are so many little rigging things that can shut you down or be dangerous.
You can do the project, but it may be more heartache than pleasure in the end.
Would you build a 32 with big inch small blocks, or something supercharged? And why I know what's common I just like the simplicity of all engine and EFE. Could you go into details of what the advantages and disadvantages are of several routes. I was under the impression that displacement and torque would be your friend in a cat?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RIPJIVE9311
That was my first though,insurance may be impossible on a cat with no hours.My daughters boyfriend builds and races trucks locally and went out with us and he was amazed at how different the marine world is from the truck world.If the project works out take it slow,there are no seatbelts or roll cages.I have been ejected from an 18 footer at about 45mph with no vest and am lucky to be typing this 25 years later,you don't want that under your belt.Good luck with it.
Thats awesome what's his name I might know him? I do have an element of fear that comes with owning a boat of this caliber. And it won't be my first boat. It will be my first real boat but I spend almost every weekend at the lake. I've drove some DCBs and an elimator at 120. The difference between 120 and 165 is substantial so I'll take my time getting there. I guess what I'm getting at is Peter told me 40% of his clients fly there on private jets, Forbes list kind of men. I'm skeptical that they've been powerboat enthusiast there whole life or owned several. I think Ive got a head start on the learning curve.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
I will take a stab at this:
I have a 32 B I bought from Pete. He was easy to deal with and is still very responsive a year after the sale. The boat is better than I expected. I race V hulls I have run cats and owned a few raceboat's but this is my first pure pleasure catamaran.

On the engine side there is plenty on spec's if you look on here or you can buy Dennis Moore's big block book. I would talk with Sterling, Eddie Young etc to make sure you get the shortblock optimized.
The go to guy on marine camshafts is Bob Maderia RMBUILDER on here his reputation speaks for itself.

For heat exchangers I would not have a Marine engine without one. I have used Monitor marine in Brooksville Fl they have a great engineering dept and they make parts for many OEM's. Mr Cool on here seems very competent and helpful I have not used him before.

For power steering pumps KRC are fine you want to be sure to have a large gravity fed collection system to prevent pump starvation and air in the system. You will want to cool the fluid on the return side.

For Alternators with fuel Injection you will want over 100 amps of output if you use an all electric fuel delivery system. If you deliver the low pressure fuel supply with a mechanical pump you could go smaller.

I have not had an Arneson boat. It is my belief that the guys at Wilson Custom Marine are the best at implementing Arnesons in the States if not the World. They are third generation racers with a pedigree and reputation that is respected worldwide.
Hope this helps!
Steve
Thank you! What power plant does your boat have and what would you do different next time around? This is all extremely helpful. From the rigging and drive side, Peter will mount the drives before I pick up the boat. Would you say that having them do it would be comparable to the company you mentioned? Peter says that you want them as low and far inboard to the center of the boat as possible.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pro1
I have a Skater 32B with Arneson 7 drives.

I can tell you if you want a fun project and great guys to work with, you got it. You are proposing a serious boat that will run extremely fast.

The boat is Carbon Fibre and epoxy, so you are already light. The power to weight ratio is extremely good. The arneson is very easy to repair and work on. You can disassemble the drive yourself in a half hour. The prop shafts are stainless steel.

That boat should run 160 without superchargers.
What engine package do you have and what would you do different next time? And how fast is your boat? What feels safe or stable I know there's always variables rough water, wind, a drive breaking at speed. Lots of stuff can happen but what speeds are you comfortable at? Also how do the arneson drives maneuvera at low speed? Is your boat drive able and enjoyable in the docks?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

this should be a good thread. When you get into this Robby we all want pix. Best of luck
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Given your background, don't let anyone discourage you. Sounds like you have the tools and the skills. Have skater nail down the motor and drive placement and work from there. If I had a facility to do a project like this I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Good luck with the build, keep us posted with pictures. You must already know about http://www.tresmartinperformance.com/about.php

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.