Originally Posted by Pro1
Vinny has a 32 skater with 1100s that runs 172 mph as well
And it's also widened 12 in.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby Woods
Hey guys I'm new to the offshore powerboat world and I've got some questions that I'd be very grateful for answers. I've been all over the map from a DCB to a vintage Cigarette and after talking to everyone in the business and how I'd like to build a boat I've decided there is no option for me other than a Skater. Peter has been extremely helpful and eager to work with me. I race off road trucks for a living and also engineer and build them at our shop almost all in house. We have a CNC mill, lathe, and waterjet so I'm going to do most of it myself. Peter has been the only builder seriously interested in reasonably facilitating my project.
So I'll be buying a 32 flatdeck widened 12 inches, full wrap windshield and extended bussell, to accommodate the Arneson #7 drives. We'll be building a pair of injected 700 inch donovan big blocks in house. Rick has also been extremely helpful. So here it goes, please reference the question with your answers I'm super eager to hear your thoughts. Cheers Robby Woods

Engine: I hear that tolerances are much more loose in marine engines do to constant load. What tolerances do people speak of and any examples. How loose?

Closed Loop: Heat exchangers, Who makes them, what do you think of them?

Water Pump: Who makes a solid pump and what are your thoughts on stages?

Cam Shafts: Are there go to manufactures that will sell a proven cam package for the marine industry?

Power Steering: What kind of pump and who makes the best? Or do you prefer helm steering? Why?

Alternators: What are marine specific alternators? How many amps are sufficient?

Exhaust: Cooling before the heat exchangers or after?

Over View: We're going to build the engines as I mentioned before something like a 700 inch injected aluminum big blocks. I am at a loss where to start from a marinizing process from pumps, accessories etc...A loose outline of this would be awesome. Also would you like to see them mounted further forward with trans inboard or rearwards with trans in drives? Weight distribution

Drives: Peter likes the arneson and that was my first choice when I looked into this project. I like the simplicity and lack of drag. Any pros and cons other than the safety of them hanging out the back?

Thanks again I'm sure I'll have more questions as It progresses Please be as detailed as possible and any thoughts outside of what I asked would be awesome!

Out of curiosity, where will you be boating? Lake or ocean? If a lake, will it be rough water like Lake of the Ozarks or something that tends to be 2 footers or less? The reason I ask is that the 32 is a great boat and real response to power but with big blocks, the center of gravity is behind the driver and it tends to be a little stern heavy when launched over big waves (which can happen when you'r running north of 120 and that rogue wave creeps up on you).

I used to have a 32B (it wasn't widened) and I now have a 36 Classic deck. The 36 is much better balanced and can handle the rougher stuff a little better. When I launch off waves in the 36 it flys level and lands predictably. My 32 was a little more of a handful.

But if your water is tame, the 32 will be a blast. With anything close to 1,000 HP, it accelerates like a cheetah. Like a previous post referenced, 160 is a cinch with that kind of power.

You definitely picked the right hull. Skaters rule. Since you're a racer, you will become used to how the boat perfoms and will be capable of using the boat the way it was meant to be driven. Have fun.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up 3212 Skater

Originally Posted by Pro1
Vinny has a 32 skater with 1100s that runs 172 mph as well
Here are a few of a 3212 your referring to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOrh7...eature=related
Attached Thumbnails Robby Woods 32 Skater....-5889642870_d286a283c7_o.jpg   Robby Woods 32 Skater....-5886535252_5fc7a3ebca_o.jpg  

Last edited by blume; 06-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thumbs up 357 "Fat Boy" Skater

This is what a 357 looks like. Not stealing a thread, just showing what other people are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Robby Woods 32 Skater....-357-skater.jpg  

Last edited by blume; 06-03-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blume
This is what a 357 looks like. Not stealing a thread, just showing what other people are talking about.
Thats awesome! Do you have anymore pic's of this boat that you could show?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NMBullet
Thats awesome! Do you have anymore pic's of this boat that you could show?
email me at [email protected] and I'll send you some. Don't want to jump on Robby's thread. It's going to be a good build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.