Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then.... >

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Notices

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
dont forget the 4'-6' waves are 15 foot apart,lol
Exactly!! That beats the hell out of any boat....
Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 382 Likes on 153 Posts

Boat was hooked to the truck ready to rock for Memorial weekend , looked to the sky like a good boater , nothing but black in the distance in the direction of the lake , stuffed it right back in the garage and it has pretty much rained and stormed ever since . Today 65* and windy calling for more rain Sunday . I'm starting to wonder if it's gonna be one of THOSE summers , i hope the hell not .
Old 06-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts
Default Yep.

Originally Posted by LaVita
Lol. That's what happened last weekend too. We get up to Sandusky at noon weather is nice. Hot not to much wind NOAA calling for 2ft or less then I had an problem with the boat didnt end up getting it in the water until 3:00. I start to head out forecast still says waves 2 ft or less which was complete BS it had felt liked it dropped 15 degrees and the wind picked up. We get out about a 1/2 mile feom the bay and turned around the NOAA's 2 ft or less was more like 3-5 right off my bow. I was soaked. Ended up spending the rest of the day in the bay and went out Monday to the islands.
I've spent many a night in the cuddy on the trailer. The secret to boating on the big lake in a small boat (and that means 35' and less for that lake) is to have a back up plan and that was always mine. Truth be told, I think I've had as much fun towing the boat bar hoping as driving the damn thing to the islands
On NOAA's 2' or less. ......., FK them! I've broke more **** in my old Sonic in "2' or less" than in 3' - 5's.

Here's a shot of the old Sonic on one of the Lake Erie bar tours. The secret is to end up at a bar w/a dark parking lot for sleeping when your done and serves breakfast the next morning.
This was one of them and was another killer bar (Portside ???) beside it back in the day.
The G.F. at the time was still a sleep in the cuddy when this shot was taken

Also, check this webcam at the Beer Barrel @ PIB. You can tell the weather by how the patrons are dressed

http://www.beerbarrelpib.com/webcam.htm

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 06-02-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Dave, 100% agreed. We have 365 season down here but I think I put more hrs on up there in a good season. One of my favorite trips up there is to leave Scudder on the north end of Pelee and watch it disappear over the horizon as Leamington Ontario just starts to come into view ahead of us.
two feet!? . . . thats nothin lol. On the extreme SW corner of the lake (where i am) we can loose pretty much all of it. This is our bay and where we normally play. The island in the background and far background is our beach hang out and on a super windy day, kinda like today lol, the water can drop seven plus feet and be better then a mile out with only a trickle in the middle. The pic of the field of pilings is normally covered by a foot or so of water and is an unmarked hazard in the Maumee river, notice the ends poles are swayed in.

By the way, none of this can be predicted like tides.

BTW your story of the trip you took to Pelee when you lost the motor was in my opinion was one of the best i have ever read on these boards. May have been over on S&F but i would love to find that thread, great read,
Attached Thumbnails Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....-fall-day-039-large-.jpg   Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....-fall-day-042-large-.jpg   Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....-fall-day-044-large-.jpg  

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....-fall-day-030-large-.jpg   Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....-fall-day-028-large-.jpg   Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....-fall-day-026-large-.jpg  

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Reggie Fountain,said Great Lakes water where the toughest he ever raced in
Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
Reggie Fountain,said Great Lakes water where the toughest he ever raced in
Back in 04 or so i was doing the Mentor OH race and was standing in the lot looking out over the typically deceptive lake with a couple other racers and Augie Pensa asked me "so . . does this litle pond ever kick up 'er what". After the race i remember running into him and and he put his hand on my shoulder looked me in the eye and said " what the FUK was that!?!? . . . that was F'in sick. . . . you cant read that sh!t" lol . . . i said welcome to lake Erie.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered

Cool pix's and comments! Always wanted to play in the Maumee but closest I ever got was the F-1 V-8 O/B races back in the '80's.

Dave, that story was an epic trip. Here is one of my favorite pix's taken that day @ Pelee. Not sure what the allure is for me other than the beauty/solitude but I've torn up more stuff there and back than anywhere else.
Actually part of the deal for that trip was I had to put down my 14 yr old Lab that winter and the beach at Pelee was his favorite place too. I had him cremated and spread his ashes on the beach. Limped there and back on one motor in pea soup thick fog to do that. Told the G.F. at the time that I would have put that boat on the bottom to get my boy to his final resting place.
I'll see if I can dig up that story, and it was on S/F. It has been edited a bit because I about punched out an insurance adjuster over that deal when the guy told me, "I know all about you Instigator, I've read all about you on S/F". Learned a lot though

This was I think mid April. The island was screwed because like this season their ferry from Canadian main land (the Jiimaan) was broke down so their were no supplies for the bars, restaurants etc. We were THE only tourists on the island.
3rd pic is of a guy (has since passed) who mine's their system of pumps that keeps the island from flooding. He was THE only person we saw while we were there! He gave me a tour of that pump house and gave me his last cup of hot coffee. Only the Canadians

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 06-03-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the difference between here on Champlain and the GL. Our weather systems are more like Chinese water torture. If I had been smarter when younger, I would have taken far more risks and lived a much harder life

We had two really good weekends in a row. That could be good for 2-4 weeks of crap weather.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best war story came from when I was living up there running around on Erie. Had a 21' Rinker at the time, buddy had a 26' Scarab, we decided we would stay overnight at Warmwater bay next to the electric plant in Monroe. Get there, beach the boat, beautiful weather with a light east wind, party all day until light rain starts moving in at dusk. Ended up playing cards and drinking under the cover for a few hours before heading to bed. Someone wakes me up at 3:00am, all the boats are drifting off the beach due to a heavy east wind pushing water into the bay, everybody is waking up and rebeaching their boats. Still drunk, no big deal. Wake up the next morning and the wind changed to the west, everyone is hungover, and all the boats are sitting high and dry as the wind is now blowing the water OUT of the bay. Took us 8 hours of digging with our hands, buckets, and whatever else we could find to get everyone off the beach, at one point I thought we were going to have to abandon the boats there and hire a crane or tow service to pull them off. There are sometimes a tide is welcomed! Have a pic somewhere of the scarab with about 2" of water on the bottom of the prop, have to see if I can find it. I miss Erie, seemed you never knew what you were going to get. Remember another time running from Toledo Beach Marina in Monroe to downtown Toledo for Party in the park, MAYBE 1' when we went over, came back out @ 9:30pm to 6-8', had to idle all the way back across the lake. I really believe Erie made me a much better, and safer, boater though, you had to learn and adapt to run on it!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Default Very well written and...

Originally Posted by GoFastScott
I really believe Erie made me a much better, and safer, boater though, you had to learn and adapt to run on it!
100% agreed. I got away w/amazing stuff up there, mostly in boats small enough I had no business being there.
If you want to boat when most aren't able to you MUST, know your boat, know your abilities, know the water you're in, have all your safety gear in shape and ready for deployment in an instant and know the weather and most importantly watch the sky.

I spent many a nigh on the hook off of Fish Point's beach on the south end of Pelee Island. It's pretty slick for a couple of reasons.
One is that it drops quickly into deep water so you can back within feet of dry sand w/o hitting bottom.
Another is due to the fact that it is a long, narrow peninsula running nearly 2 miles into the lake and the direction it is oriented, it is almost always calm on one side.
There were times that you could be sitting on the beach with your boat 10' away in perfect calm and 10' in the other direction there were 4' rollers breaking on the beach.
Also had a sand bottom so anchors hold really well.
The challenge arrives after the wind shifts as described in Scotts great post above so the calm side you anchored on hrs earlier has now turned to ****. Oh yeah, and it's 2:00 A.M., your still polluted from the night before, it's pitch black w/zero vis., your only other possible deck hand is out cold and you have to retrieve the anchor (on a boat that doesn't lend itself to front deck access especially in those conditions), fire up, relocate to the new calm side and redeploy the anchor.
Did that many times and once where I lost my footing and went over the side while on the front deck at night. I was very, very lucky and didn't hit anything on the way in (exposed chocks on both sides!) and had my act together well enough to pop right out. Scared the bajesus out of me (after the fact) though. Tons of current around the point, middle of darkness, no other boats around, miles from anywhere/anything and a passenger that could not run the boat let alone pull in the anchor in those conditions. A life moment of defining the difference between balls and brains. Could have easily been catastrophic.

The current can be another shocker up there. I had a hotty up for a wreck dive off the N.E. corner of the same island. Never even considered the current coming around the tip of the island. Wasn't very apparent when I set the anchor. (a 32' cruiser that trip)
It was cold and we were both in wet suits. She was a tiny little thing and was ready a min or two before me and jumped in ahead of me. (Learned another lesson about divers padding their experience level!) She hits the water an off she goes! She panics and starts flailing away! Luckily she aired up her BC so was floating like a cork but how do I retrieve her by myself?? Knew I only had a second to decide before she was beyond my swimming ability so in I went. Hardest, longest, scariest swim of my life but caught her and drug her back to the boat.
I then understood that that freagin lake also has deadly current!

Was also lucky enough to grow up when they had the Offshore races out of Cedar Point where my parents docked their boat. Saw many big name racers humbled by the stormy mud puddle

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 06-03-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.