Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then.... >

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Notices

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am making a run across Erie tomorrow (pending weather/wind) to Cedar Point. Hoping I see a gentle lake Erie.....
Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I worked for BAJA, I was almost positive Lake Erie was going to get me. I made some poor decisions going out in small craft advisorys just to avoid going back to the shop to work. Id boat in that crap 6 to 8 hrs a day almost everyday and it really took a toll on me. Even effected my sleep. There were also some ridiculous calm days where Id be bored to death and have to chase the jet express around for some waves.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I've spent many a night in the cuddy on the trailer. The secret to boating on the big lake in a small boat (and that means 35' and less for that lake) is to have a back up plan and that was always mine. Truth be told, I think I've had as much fun towing the boat bar hoping as driving the damn thing to the islands
On NOAA's 2' or less. ......., FK them! I've broke more **** in my old Sonic in "2' or less" than in 3' - 5's.

Here's a shot of the old Sonic on one of the Lake Erie bar tours. The secret is to end up at a bar w/a dark parking lot for sleeping when your done and serves breakfast the next morning.
This was one of them and was another killer bar (Portside ???) beside it back in the day.
The G.F. at the time was still a sleep in the cuddy when this shot was taken

Also, check this webcam at the Beer Barrel @ PIB. You can tell the weather by how the patrons are dressed

http://www.beerbarrelpib.com/webcam.htm

We had a backup plan and it sounded just like your back up plan. Lol. Also, this was just on the news the other night thought i'd pull it up and share with some of the guys that are not fimiliar with out little lake. It's a lake how bad can it be?..........http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=246783
Old 06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Registered

Heading over to the River this weekend coming up nice and smooth with a barge wake every once in awhile. Anyone have any good spots to check out near Pittsburgh?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to move to a small pond somewhere
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I know that bar LOL
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts
Default Goot one ;)

Originally Posted by LaVita
We had a backup plan and it sounded just like your back up plan. Lol. Also, this was just on the news the other night thought i'd pull it up and share with some of the guys that are not fimiliar with out little lake. It's a lake how bad can it be?..........http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=246783
Here's one for you....

July 4th 1969, I was 10 and paddling around Cedar Points harbor in my dinghy when the old man told me to tie up and get in the boat because it was going to storm. It was sunny and gorgeous out at the time and my friends that already thought the old man was a kook then knew for sure. What they didn't know was he taught weather classes while Commander of the Columbus Power Squadron.
The old man was right and **** the fan bad! Two boats sank on our pier over night from the rain. I think 5 or 7 throughout the marina. Front page of the local paper the next morning reported 150 boats missing in the lake!
We tried leaving to go back to Columbus but couldn't because of flooded roads.
At the time, my older brother worked in CP's amusement park and while lisiteing to the radio for the weather they reported a CP employee had been killed by a falling tree. Wasn't my brother but we didn't know that until he got off work and climbed on the boat.
Very similar to Lavita's story, the waves/lake came up at Clevelands Burke Lake Front Airport while they were shooting off fireworks. Crowd was running for their cars when it hit so fast that it sucked into the lake and drowned I think 5 people!
Was very, very bad.
Was back in Columbus last Thanksgiving and asking my 91 yr old Dad if he remembered that storm. He comes out of his office with the freagin news paper clippings from it! He gave them to me.
There was pictures of houses floating down the Vermilion River and out into the lake.
I may try scanning and posting part of that. I remember that storm like it was yesterday. The old man said because we weren't on a coast it couldn't be classified as a hurricane but it met every other parameter to be one. Never questioned him about weather again and was one of the reasons I was never scared while on any of their boats in any of the crap we've been through.

Any time I met a boater up there that didn't respect that lake I knew they were about to be educated (hopefully) or make the front page of the paper.

Next chapter lets talk about fish nets early in the season and how they are freagin every where
Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts
Default Hoping the .....

Originally Posted by low_psi
I am making a run across Erie tomorrow (pending weather/wind) to Cedar Point. Hoping I see a gentle lake Erie.....
weather/lake Gods smile on you. Pix's and a report please
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weather/lake Gods smile on you. Pix's and a report please
Forecast is 2 feet or less building to 1-3 feet by late evening.

If I wake up an it isn't windy, we go by boat. If breezy, we all pile in the suburban. Either way I am looking at $100+ in fuel. Boat is faster by about 30min and certainly the preferred method.

I have not fueled up or washed it yet. It seems if I get the boat ready the night before, the weather always sucks.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Next chapter lets talk about fish nets early in the season and how they are freagin every where
jeezsus dont get me started about those. I actually learned to read them when i was pretty young when me and my grandfather would go fishing. There are patterns and directions that are associated with the markers they use. We had a pretty good accident over in out corner when a good friends sister got hurt because of poorly marked nets. What a mess, they are everywhere.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.