Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then.... >

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Notices

Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....

Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Back in 04 or so i was doing the Mentor OH race and was standing in the lot looking out over the typically deceptive lake with a couple other racers and Augie Pensa asked me "so . . does this litle pond ever kick up 'er what". After the race i remember running into him and and he put his hand on my shoulder looked me in the eye and said " what the FUK was that!?!? . . . that was F'in sick. . . . you cant read that sh!t" lol . . . i said welcome to lake Erie.
that,s funny
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Lake Erie bit me in the a$$ again..... The ride across this morning (to Cedar Point) was pretty smooth. Things looked fine when we left the dock this evening at around 8:30. However she got nasty fast. Had to pull into PIB for the night. Just wasn't about to try and fight the lake in the dark with my 10 year old daughter and my buddies 8year old daughter in the boat. So we pulled into c-dock and got a room at the commodore hotel for the night. Will try again bright and early in the morning.......
Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Well Lake Erie bit me in the a$$ again..... The ride across this morning (to Cedar Point) was pretty smooth. Things looked fine when we left the dock this evening at around 8:30. However she got nasty fast. Had to pull into PIB for the night. Just wasn't about to try and fight the lake in the dark with my 10 year old daughter and my buddies 8year old daughter in the boat. So we pulled into c-dock and got a room at the commodore hotel for the night. Will try again bright and early in the morning.......
was gonna mention on your earlier post that its never the ride out that gits ya lol . . . . . always the ride home

good call though, best to keep the kids safe. Looks like 10-15 NE winds and 1-3's tomorrow. Could be bumpy but ya got the day to deal with it. Good luck and be safe.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-04-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, make everybody put on the rain gear, "but the sun is shining" and bury the tabs. Appreciate the run and enjoy the time with the young folks. You are shaping their future!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts
Default Well said!

Originally Posted by WOTW2E
Yep, make everybody put on the rain gear, "but the sun is shining" and bury the tabs. Appreciate the run and enjoy the time with the young folks. You are shaping their future!
Meant to post last night and see whether it was by sea or by land.
Be careful (can already see that you are) and keep us posted.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got up this morning at 5ish, looked outside and storms..... So went back to bed till 7:30. Looks like winds are a blowing, but time to get moving........ Hopefully it won't be too bad.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts
Default Intersting....

Originally Posted by low_psi
Got up this morning at 5ish, looked outside and storms..... So went back to bed till 7:30. Looks like winds are a blowing, but time to get moving........ Hopefully it won't be too bad.
That was one of the tricks it took me 20 yrs to learn. After being weathered in for 2 days @ Leamington I realized that it was dead calm for the first couple hrs in the morning. We prepped the 2nd night there and headed south at day brake of 3rd day.
Ran 60 from there to Kellies for breakfast w/zero issues. Flat as a table top.
Other lesson is having some flex time just in case....., better to miss a day or two of work than end up on the front page of the paper.
Good luck and be careful.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
that,s funny
true story to, i think a few Jersey boys found some new respect for out little "pond" that day . It was pretty evil though, was the day i did this . . . . ouch.
Attached Thumbnails Some Times I Miss Ohio/Lake Erie and then....-pics-015-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The old girl was ROLLING last weekend.....plan was to get to PIB but decided to stay on the trailer.

I always thought we put more hours on in the summer that you Florida boaters do all year....it's just hard to be up north and see all the pictures of the sunshine in January! Sunshine tax is too much for me or I would be in Florida with ya Gary!!

Dd
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
That was one of the tricks it took me 20 yrs to learn. After being weathered in for 2 days @ Leamington I realized that it was dead calm for the first couple hrs in the morning. We prepped the 2nd night there and headed south at day brake of 3rd day.
Ran 60 from there to Kellies for breakfast w/zero issues. Flat as a table top.
Other lesson is having some flex time just in case....., better to miss a day or two of work than end up on the front page of the paper.
Good luck and be careful.
yep, i always leave flex time and also pre arrange an out for my girlfriend if need be. I am ok with risking myself and my boat but will not risk others. The morning trick i learned long ago as a kid growing up on the lake. Couple years ago we took a stab at running to Kellys from Toledo (50 miles) and didnt even make our harbor light in 20-30mph northeast headwinds (yeah . . . what the hell was i thinking lol). Ended up heading back into the marina for the night and i already was planning a morning assault as i knew the next day would be the same but there would be a small window of opportunity at daybreak when the temp starts to turn around (thats the trick). I had a couple other boats that wanted to head out that day with us but they were dragging azz so i went out for a recon run and the wind had switched to southeast which protects the run a bit. Waves were quartering nicely and i could run comfortably in the 40's so i said "screw you guys . . . I'm outta here and we headed for the islands. Funny parts is we ran great right up until we hit the cut between the islands where the Miller ferry passes at the tip of Marblehead. Went from 2-3's to like 5-7's and super close and steep. We dropped down to a plow at idle speed and it took us longer to get the last five miles from Marblehead the Kellys then it did to get from Toledo to there. I was in my ScarabIII and it was so steep that the nose of my boat would dip into a wave and water would stream down the tip of my boat and when the stern came up it did the weirdest thing i have ever encountered, as the boat settled back in the water the props would pull air back down with them and they would cavitate until i put it in neutral and let them catch again. Scared the crap out of me first couple times because it acted like i blew both couplers and in that water i did not want to be a drift. Made it to Kellys and my phone rang it was the guy that was organizing the event i was going out for telling me everything was put off to the next day and if i could make it then that would be great. I said "see ya when ya get here" he said "huh?" cuz he knows i dont trailer to the islands. I said yeah we just got here and are getting our first brandy Alexanders at The Pump lol, we made it the fifty miles from Toledo and he could not make it the five miles from Cedar Point but truth be told that pass over there is probably the worst in all of lake Erie. Other funny thing is the only other boat there from our group was another ScarabIII from Toledo.

Last edited by glassdave; 06-05-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.