Boat & Accessory Theft Alarms?? >

Boat & Accessory Theft Alarms??

Notices

Boat & Accessory Theft Alarms??

Old 07-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Boat & Accessory Theft Alarms??

In the last two weeks, over 15 radios/stereos have been stolen out of boats just in one cove. Police reports filed along with items with fingerprints on them from the theives. The police will not "run" the prints as this is larceny & a "victimless" crime....yeh right!!! Victimless only to the theives!! We gotta pay the cops salary AND buy the new stereo stuff!!
What alarm systems have you all used to "harden" your boats?
I was think IR motion detector for the cuddy where the "big" stuff is, along with a 130db siren & big strobe lights.
Any ideas???
Old 07-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds to me like the local constable is a lazy ass. we had this happening up at grand last year, only to houses though. turns out there was a meth lab nearby. once they busted the lab, the stealing stopped.

can you shoot somebody for being on your dock?
Old 07-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Registered

Paul, the funny thing is: they are leaving stacks of cd's, bags full of Snap-on tools, Amps, subs, speakers. They are taking only the stereo head units!! They are also taking all cash left behind. Last night they left two flashlights in a friends boat (their second trip to his boat)....... some of these people will kill these guy's if the catch them!!
Old 07-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Sounds like a good time to camp out on your boat and wait with a nice .45 by your side. I'd take a weeks vacation to catch someone that stole from my boat.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:01 AM
Registered

... I cannot believe no one on this board has ever had a boat alarm!!! I have not lost anything yet, but wish to prevent the damage they can do to the boat, not the radio itself!!
If I could scare them off with an alarm, it would be worth every penny it cost!!
Help me out here.....
Old 07-02-2002, 12:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Look at the Harbormaster on this page:

www.harborstore.com

It is the best on the market and will alert you if anything is going wrong on the boat.

I can answer any questions you have, feel free to e-mail me

[email protected]
Old 07-02-2002, 12:16 AM
Registered

I offer a self-contained black box that incorporates technologies of satelite for recovery and data burst over cellular control channels to notify you of entry, high water, low battery, boat being moved over 150 feet, etc. The box has many inputs that you can creatively trigger with sensors that will notify you via phone, fax or email of emergencies.

You can find your boat usually in less than 60 seconds from any phone or computer.

The box can be sold to OSO members for $600. Monitoring is $50 for 3 years if only used for theft recovery purposes. For $10/month you can control or find your boat 10 times in one month.

I install these devices in boats, cars, trucks, and heavy equipment of all sorts. The device includes its own backup battery in the event of battery disconnect.

Feel free to call me at my office for more info at (813)882-8477.

Andy Buzz
Old 07-02-2002, 03:20 AM
Intolerant1

I bought a little self contained battery powered alarm at Walmart (or one of the other marts). It has a motion sensor that can be adjusted for direction. Built in siren will wake all the neighbors. Turns on/off with a remote like a car alarm. Battery last months. I mounted mine under my dash behind the VHF. If anyone steps into the boat, it goes off. You can wallk by the boat w/o setting it off. It was about $25. Also great for trailers. Thats what I originally had it in. Yes, it can be ripped out and disabled. Most wouldnt take the time and will run when it goes off. Cheap insurance.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

See, I knew OSO guys had experience with this issue!! I am not concerned with the boat locator part of the alarm as mine is on a locked & chained lift & in a locked dock with eight others. It is more the intrusion type alarm I was looking for. I was considering an auto type alarm modified for my specifics. I will also look at the Wally World alarm.
Thanks guys!!
Old 07-02-2002, 02:41 PM
Organdonor

Boat Theft - Should I be Concerned?

We all have some of the "It can't happen to me!" attitude, but the fact is that boat theft is a growing problem in this country. Boats and their contents are easy targets for thieves. If unguarded at a critical moment, your boat or valuable gear can be lost forever. That is why we believe that a common sense boat security plan is so important. No boat is theft-proof, but you can certainly make your boat a poor target for thieves by installing a Boat Patrol™ Electronic Alarm along with a receiver lock, hitch lock and prop lock nut. When combined, these security items will make your boat and gear tough to steal and will give you some peace-of-mind. Should you be concerned? Don't take our word for it! Read what the experts have to say...

From Boatsafe.com... "Across the nation, as recreational boating continues to gain popularity, more and more boats, trailers, equipment, electronics and personal items are stolen each year. Most of these crimes are committed by amateurs who, when tempted with an easy opportunity, can't resist the temptation."

From Netset.com... "Marine theft is a problem nationwide. All sizes and types of boats and related equipment are vulnerable. Million of dollars in insurance claims are made each year due to the thefts of boats, motors, trailers and an array of associated equipment. Any boat can be stolen and all the precautions are no guarantee against theft, but there are steps you can take to discourage thieves. Time, noise, and visibility are three elements that cause risk to a thief. Take steps that will require a thief to take more time, to make excessive noise, or to be observed.

From BoatUS.com... "August 5 - It's summertime, and the stealing is easy. Especially on the water, where thieves steal an average 1,000 boats a month, according to BOAT/U.S., the nation's largest organization of recreational boaters. Boat thefts cost the boating community $85 million a year. A survey of the theft claims filed from 1986-1996 with BOAT/U.S. Marine Insurance showed personal watercraft (PWCs) were the most likely to be taken, followed by motor-powered runabouts, powerboats with cabins, trawlers, and sailboats. Recovering a stolen boat isn't easy, either: The odds of getting it back are only one in ten."

From the Wisconsin DNR... "There are approximately 300 boats reported stolen each year in Wisconsin and over 27,000 boats stolen each year in the United States. Over 95% of all boats stolen are package thefts, that is the boat, motor and trailer are all stolen, and 90% of all boats stolen are less than 20 feet in length. Thieves target motel parking lots as well as unfenced or unsecured self-storage areas. Boats are costly and represent a sizable investment of your dollars and time. Don't become a victim. Become security conscious. Although nothing is theft-proof, there are three key factors in discouraging theft:

TIME - Do things to increase the time it takes to steal your boat.
NOISE - Do things that will force the thief to make noise in order to steal your boat.
VISIBILITY - Keep your boat and trailer parked where it is visible to you or a neighbor and if possible, a location that is lighted at night."

Quick Reply: Boat & Accessory Theft Alarms??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.