Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who are the "real" idiots? >

Who are the "real" idiots?

Notices

Who are the "real" idiots?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, knowing what can happen if something fails at speed, it's too important to check everything and make sure all is well.

I guess if I had a reasonably slow bow rider or deck boat it wouldn't matter as much.

Peace of mind doing all the prep and work is a huge reward as well Guess it all depends on the person and their commitment and mech. abilities .....................................
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I would bet if you add up all the time (at the wage you earn today) plus the cost of parts you spend maintaining the boat and then compare it the guy that only repairs it when it breaks - the guy that only repairs it when it breaks spends less money over the course of the years he owns that boat?

I perfer like many of you, by doing these things I have peace of mind BUT it breaks anyway sometimes no matter what you do in advance.

Maybe there is more peace of mind by just going out enjoying the boat and when it breaks you fix it?

Right now when somethings breaks I beat myself up saying "I should have checked or done this...." How much enjoyment is that?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I paid good money (above book) to a member here for my boat back in 1995. It was extremely well cared for an I was willing to pay a premium to get a boat like that. Larry and his wife see the boat every year for a poker run up here and cannot believe the shape it's still in.

Someday when I sell the boat, I fully intend to get more than book value for it because of the way it's been cared for. Oh sure, somebody will complain I'm asking "over book." If you want a boat with just average care, that's what "book" will get you.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Run it 'till it breaks" or maintain it?

I think it has to do with personal pride and self satisfaction.

Much like maintaing your front lawn, or fixing the burnt out tail light on your car.

And when it comes down to it, many of us, dispite the moaning and groaning, enjoy maintaining our toys.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
I would bet if you add up all the time (at the wage you earn today) plus the cost of parts you spend maintaining the boat and then compare it the guy that only repairs it when it breaks - the guy that only repairs it when it breaks spends less money over the course of the years he owns that boat?

I perfer like many of you, by doing these things I have peace of mind BUT it breaks anyway sometimes no matter what you do in advance.

Maybe there is more peace of mind by just going out enjoying the boat and when it breaks you fix it?

Right now when somethings breaks I beat myself up saying "I should have checked or done this...." How much enjoyment is that?
i agree that i probably spending more $ upgrading or just maintaining boat,then if i just fix when breakes..or how many times just to make sure bolt is tight or line is secure,you recheck or retorque a bolt,clamp or fuel line and it brakes. always say to myself "i knew i shouldn't of touched that"
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

I just maintain my boat and never use it. LOL
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 280 Likes on 169 Posts

Sometimes I think were all idiots for putting that kind of money into boats every year.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my Fountain it was maintained with an open checkbook and I probably spent more time on the maintenance/cleaning of just the trailer then most boat owners do on their boats. It was a running joke in my group of friends about how clean I kept it my boat. I’ve since fallen into a smaller, and older, bow rider that I don’t use all that often. I do the general maintenance and serious cleaning at the beginning and end of the season….but in-between not so much…. Boat has a slip, so a quick spray of the hose is enough to clear the days mess, and no trailer to deal with. I found this to be a real nice balance for being out on the water. Don’t get me wrong, when I get another performance boat I will be back out there spending more time cleaning and maintaining then I do running the boat, but it is a nice change of pace for now.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

I think in the long run you end up with less problems out on the water with all the preventive maint and at least if(when)you break you can tell youself it was unavoidable due to checking everything.I am one of the anal ones that clean and polish everything including the drives between each trip but for me it is like therapy to go out in the garage after work turn on the radio open a beer and spend time on the boat,35 years of this and still can't get enough!!Wife says I love the boats more than her,I'll take the 5th on that one.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Registered

I guess I fall into the same category as most people on OSO. I like my things clean, serviceable, and ready to rock on a moments notice. I am a slave to the gauge, I have a super sense of smell and I shut down at the slightest odor or noise that is off. And I would not change a thing about the way I boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.