First ever attempt to cross Gulf Stream on stand-up paddleboards >

First ever attempt to cross Gulf Stream on stand-up paddleboards

Notices

First ever attempt to cross Gulf Stream on stand-up paddleboards

Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts
Default First ever attempt to cross Gulf Stream on stand-up paddleboards

In the early hours of Saturday morning, June 9th, watermen Bill Whiddon and Thaddeus Foote will push off from the docks of the historic Big Game Club in Bimini launching the first ever attempt to stand-up paddle (SUP) across the Gulf Stream to Miami—a grueling 17-hour, 48 mile non-stop adventure.

Armed only with a board, a paddle and their wits, the paddle boarders will endure one of the earth’s most powerful oceanic currents, exposure to shifting weather conditions, extreme isolation, and all risks of open ocean navigation in order to reach their destination.

The cause behind the 'Bimini to Miami Blue Water Challenge' is to raise awareness for Surfrider Foundation’s Rise Above Plastics campaign to reduce plastics in the ocean. The athletes, weather permitting, will depart Bimini Saturday and continuously paddle from 3:30 am to approximately 5:30 pm.

Whiddon, 58, a creative art director, and Foote, 38, an environmental educator, both grew up in Miami and are passionate about water sports and coastal conservation.

'Nothing of this scale has ever been attempted before, much less successful, so we really are pushing the limits of the sport,' states Whiddon.

'This crossing is a great opportunity to highlight the impact that plastics are having on our world’s ocean and how our actions, as a society, can make such a big difference,' said Foote.

This should be interesting
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

If the water looks anything like the last few days it will be a cakewalk! They will do it in about 8 hours...

Last night it was calm, humid, zero wind and the Atlantic was like a bathtub. The beach in Delray didnt even have ripples.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

With the Gulf Stream going right across the middle of their course they are going to need to start off paddling for keywest to end up in Miami, Otherwise I think they'll end up north of west palm beach.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming with a support boat a few feet away at all times?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Registered

Default What a great adventure!

Actually, I think I am jealous!

Not that it really makes that much difference, but in plotting it out on a chart, if they depart from the marina; add distance.

Regardless, it seems they will need to average just under 3.5 miles per hour to adhere to their time line.

In theory the Gulf Stream seems it would be a real problem, but in practice, is should not pose a huge problem. Well, at least not like it would if they were to paddle a boat with much of a draft. When I use to river kayak slithering across the top of the water in a virtually draftless kayak was much easire than even a canoe with little draft. I would think even easier on a SUP.

Again, what a great adventure! Hope they make a picture and video record and share it on the 11th when they have recovered from their deserved rest.

Two questions: The text says 17 hour paddle. The float estimate is 14 hours. Are there three time zones between Bimini and the mainland? Are they tandum paddling?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,774 Likes on 698 Posts

Say what you want about the gulf stream but I know about every other mnth someone down here breaks down in it and ends up in the Carolinas.
I also remember reading a story of one of the old timer offshore guys saying they won the Bimini race by aiming for a target 20 mls off course.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Say what you want about the gulf stream but I know about every other mnth someone down here breaks down in it and ends up in the Carolinas.
I also remember reading a story of one of the old timer offshore guys saying they won the Bimini race by aiming for a target 20 mls off course.
My Point Exactly. Depending on the speed you cross the gulfstream determins the Correction you have to add to your course. If the Gulf is heading north at 3-5 mph and it's gonna take them several hrs to cross it, they need to start heading for Keywest to arrive in Miami.

When we used to fish (Trolling) out of haulover cut we always had to head 15* or more south when going east or west to keep in the vicinity of Miami, Otherwise you'll be heading back in-in Ft Lauderdale
Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Thats great. Ive been wanting to buy a paddle board for the last yr. or so but it's not very practical where I live. They look like it would be one hell off a cardio workout. Props to these guys I hope they can complete their goal.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went to bimini two weeks ago and drove straight across and back, at 40mph the current wasn't an issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your body also acts like a sail when your on the boards. When there is a little bit of a current and/or wind it requires some effort to stay in the direction you intend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.