Notices

Info Needed

Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, thank you everyone for replying.

I have read through the responses and feel in need to clarify some of my statements.

As for towing, I have a dually that sole purpose is for towing. And frequently tow a 45ft trailer, and have towed a lot of boats for friends and family. So I should be good there. Sorry for not mentioning that before. But yes I do plan on trailering the boat and towing it myself.

Yes, I have owned a powerboat before. My last boat was my biggest, it was a fountain that had 575sci. The problem with this was I didn't own it very long. I made the mistake of splitting the boat with a friend, we instantly butted heads, lets just say he had a different idea of what care and maintainance means for the boat. He didn't believe in it as much as I do. Even though I have been around boats my whole life and have owned them, I didnt want to get to big to fast. I'm at the point where I want to get as big as I can without going overboard (I know everyone has a different definition of overboard).

I have never owned a cat but have driven one (probably not enough for the insurance company to care about). Even if its a cat that has say 525, is insurance still going to be that much more than a v bottom?
But I do fully intend on taking a performance boating class. That is a great idea and I should of mentioned it on my first post.

I shouldn't of said up to 49ft, I have no intention of going that big. Truthfully up to this point the 38 and the 42 cig have been my front runners. But I have to admit I have always loved cats. But Im trying to figure out the point where power gets to expensive. I know that higher the power the greater of chance there is for something to happen and it cost more to fix. I'm trying to figure out where that point is. I didn't know if there was an unspoken rule that if you go over a certain point its going to be a lot more maintainance.

So let me answer Seafordguy's Questions:

Am I going to Trailer: Yes
If so, do I have the appropriate truck: Yes
Am I going to overnight: In the boat, probably not, but havent thought about it. Good question.
How am I going to use the boat in general: Relaxing with friends and family, and poker runs.
What arrangement will I have for keeping the boat in the water (if any). I have a garage that could store it, and I am currently looking at houses at LOTO.
Are you comfortable jumping in a 50ft boat (or 35 for that matter) with no real experience.: I do have experience but still have a lot to learn. Would I want to get into a cat and go 150mph, no (well yes but you know what I mean), but would I feel comfortable in a 35ft cat and going 100, yes probably after I got in it, and had some practice, and got a good feel for the boat. I love power and speed as mush as the next guy but Im not suicidal, and have no interest in hurting other people.

I am trying to do research that is part of the reason I am on here asking you guys.

But I would be interested in seeing a 200K canoe 200K is my limit not my goal, that is what I saved to buy the boat. But I know I can get a lot of boat for that, that is why Im asking other people's opinions that have more experience than me.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

I would definity try to avoid being on seas like that!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cts on towing. You can tow a longer V bottom boat and not get intoo a hassle with needing permits etc due to the beam of the boat. Cats are wider so therefore even a 35' cat could put you into the needing permits catagory. Wether or not you feel you need them, if theres an accident and you don't have them? Well you get it? Like others said, cat insurance being new to cats would be killer. It's great that you have a 200k budget for your boat purchase. Also consider what your anual boat operation budget might be as for maintenence, insurance etc. Fuel in your area is important too. With the big HP engines quality fuel needs to be available. Big HP engines need more tinkering with, blowers etc. Do your homework, theres tons of boats out there to fit your bill. Trick is finding the one that fits your needs. I'd love to have a bigger cat but for the boating I do it's not practical. My next boat will most likely be the same size just better comforts. It suits my needs perfectly.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

I think a 38 cig would be the boat your looking for. 525s an do a survay. They draw a crowd an handle rough water well. Add a myco trailer an your set. Just make sure the headers are checked. Iv'e been in lots of boats over the years I'm 52 an the cigs is My choise. Artie
Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by specialk4900
I am new to this website , but have been a powerboat lover my whole life.

I need some advice. I'm looking to buy a boat but I have several questions. First let me tell you what I'm looking for.
- 35-49ft
- Looking to keep it under 200K
- Primarily going to be at LOTO but want to travel and do Poker Runs.

First question is whether I should be thinking about a cat or a v bottom? This is going to be my first big powerboat and I don't want to get in over my head. I have done a lot of boating but minimal with my own boat. I went with other people a lot because they had a bigger or faster boat.

Second question is what power. I love power and going fast (don't we all), but I actually am going to use the boat and dont want to have to rebuild the motors all the time. And again I don't want to get in over my head, because knowing me I will buy as much power as I can get. So I want other people's opinion on a good starting point.

Which bring me to my next question. At what point does the service cost get outrageous. I am kind of under the impression that the line is anything over 700HP. I know that with any motor I'm going to have to have them serviced, but there has be be some rule of thumb that over a certain point it is going to be pretty costly.

I think that is it for now but if I think of something else I will post it.

Thank You
We have a couple of 37 Active Thunders listed in the OSO classified that fit your bill very well. I've spent time on my own personal 37AT on LOTO, and it does very well in the sloppy/choppy waters.

Drop me a line if you have any questions--happy to chat!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
We have a couple of 37 Active Thunders listed in the OSO classified that fit your bill very well. I've spent time on my own personal 37AT on LOTO, and it does very well in the sloppy/choppy waters.

Drop me a line if you have any questions--happy to chat!
there you go, see if you can go for a ride in a AT. they ride nice in the rough too.The new 33 with 525s should hit 90. for 200 k or less there should be some nice deals.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you really are wanting a cat. If it were me I would first call Sy Goldberg the insurane guru on here (total dollar insurane) and inquire about insurance cost/qualifications. Then find a boat with mild power and #6 drives to have a bulletproof drive train and spend the next couple years learning and having fun! Then when (not if ) you want to go faster and the insurance allows it, either upgrade the power or trade up to bigger power.
Just an opinion from a guy that isn't trying to sell you a boat or engine upgrades.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

We usually have a nice assortment of boats here at Performance Boat Center, LOTO. Come by and see us.